Large Group Trip Help

Sabrina90744

DIS Veteran
Good Morning everybody. Looking for some help. I haven't visited since 2006. Taking a fairly large group. I took my baby brother with me when he was only 11 and now I am taking him and his babies for their first trip. 7 Adults and 3 children (13, 4, and 2). My cousin and his family of 5 will also be joining us. Planning for December 3-11, 2020. Booking will open up for our dates July 31 and am ready to book something

Here are some questions

1. Best Resort economically for my group of 10. I am eligible for military discounts, so would it be better to take that 40% off on 2 bedroom villa somewhere for my group and use the military appreciation passes for some and get discounted tickets offered on base. Out of pocket for dining? Or do we split up into 3 rooms in at Pop Century and do a MYW package with dining plan and hope for some sort of discount?

2. If we do split up into different rooms and have separate reservations would i be able to make all of our dining reservations together and Fastpass+

Hi Sabrina,

I would consider renting a DVC unit. You will get a much nicer room and possibly much better proximity to the parks for a similar price to the values. For example, for your dates you could rent a 3 bedroom villa (which sleeps 12) at Disney's Old Key West for $6,800. The most used/reputable site is David's: https://www.dvcrequest.com. Some catches are - all sales final (no cancelations), no daily maid service (trash is daily, one full cleaning every 4 days though you can pay a small fee for more).

If you do go the route of booking cash hotel reservations, as long as the reservations are linked to the MDX app and you are all linked together in the Friends and Family section, you'll have no issue making FP+ reservations. You can make dining reservations at the 6 month mark without any or hotel booked.

If staying off property is an option would save you a lot of money and more to spend at dinner. I am in the same boat with a large group going. We have 12 adults and 1 child(1). We are staying off property but are still 20 mins away from all parks. We got a 6 bedroom house with a pool and hot tub for $1750.

Yes staying off property with that many people in a house would be the cheapest. For your large group you are looking at a few thousand dollars to stay at a Disney resort. Since you stay is during one of the busiest times at Disney I would book right away the rooms always sell out fast. During your planned stay the annual Pop Warner football super bowl and the National Cheerleading competition both are held at Disney. The wait time to get on the Disney free bus at the airport will be 1 hour. Not kidding! Oh on another note although you can make dinning reservation for that many people you will most likely not be able to sit together for a meal. I know of someone who went with 9 people and all the places they ate they were not able to sit together. So keep that in mind

Last edited:

Hi Sabrina,

I would consider renting a DVC unit. You will get a much nicer room and possibly much better proximity to the parks for a similar price to the values. For example, for your dates you could rent a 3 bedroom villa (which sleeps 12) at Disney's Old Key West for $6,800. The most used/reputable site is David's: https://www.dvcrequest.com. Some catches are - all sales final (no cancelations), no daily maid service (trash is daily, one full cleaning every 4 days though you can pay a small fee for more).

If you do go the route of booking cash hotel reservations, as long as the reservations are linked to the MDX app and you are all linked together in the Friends and Family section, you'll have no issue making FP+ reservations. You can make dining reservations at the 6 month mark without any or hotel booked.

Thanks Stewart, I will look into renting points.

If staying off property is an option would save you a lot of money and more to spend at dinner. I am in the same boat with a large group going. We have 12 adults and 1 child(1). We are staying off property but are still 20 mins away from all parks. We got a 6 bedroom house with a pool and hot tub for $1750.
Thanks I've thought about it, have to look into car rentals for a group of 15 and figure parking and gas in to the total budget and see the difference

Only other thing worth considering (which is not worth thousands of dollars, but is worth a little if it is close in price) is FastPass reservations are available 60 days out on property vs 30 days off. Not sure if that matters to you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts