Laptop recommendations??

Momager

Mouseketeer
I have a small social media marketing business that I’m looking to make bigger and better!
I want to start using a computer (rather than apps on my phone) and I’m wondering if you all could recommend a good laptop that won’t break the bank!

Thank you

What do you use it (or plan to use it) for? Obviously web stuff, but photo editing? Video editing? How much storage do you need?

What do you use it (or plan to use it) for? Obviously web stuff, but photo editing? Video editing? How much storage do you need?

Yeah photo and video editing mostly. I guess I’d need a good amount of storage but I also realize that ups the price too...

Yeah photo and video editing mostly. I guess I’d need a good amount of storage but I also realize that ups the price too...

Memory (RAM) will be important (probably more so than storage as external storage is widely available and reasonable)-this will also shoot the price up. Photo and video editing software tend to be memory hogs, especially as people tend to run several of the simultaneous and switch back and forth.

I’m an Apple user so I don’t have any specific economical laptop suggestions.

Go for a Macbook “12.

The only reason not to get a mac is people think they are expensive but don’t get that they are actually cheap compared to what you need to oay for a pc that will deliver the same results (and I believe specs don’t represent what you’re actually getting).

It’s a great laptop that will allow you to focus on your actual work and making money.

As for storage get an external disk when you need one (you won’t need it too soon if you’ve managed to use your phone so far:))

Memory (RAM) will be important (probably more so than storage as external storage is widely available and reasonable)-this will also shoot the price up. Photo and video editing software tend to be memory hogs, especially as people tend to run several of the simultaneous and switch back and forth.

I’m an Apple user so I don’t have any specific economical laptop suggestions.

Depends. The storage requirements are one thing. One can always hook up an external hard drive. The important thing these days is that there's an SSD to help with overall performance booting and starting up programs. When I replaced my hard drive with an SSD on my Mac, it was like a new machine. And that was a SATA SSD. The new built-in NVMe SSDs are really fast.

I just got a new PC laptop for work. I'm a Mac guy myself, but I had no other choice. I could choose myself, although I was under a budget more or less. The one I wanted was a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon because ThinkPads are really tough and can dock. I've had those at other places I've worked. But the boss suggested something more like what he had. I got one that actually has a built-in 256 GB SSD and a 1 TB hard drive. Not sure why that combination. I don't really use the hard drive, but I suppose it might be useful for large amounts of storage.

Memory only does does so much. It's important, but there's a diminishing return with more and it depends on what's being run. But an SSD will absolutely improve all-around performance. Programs still need to start up, and are always going to the drive to read or write data.

I have an Acer and would not recommend it. It took me a while to remove all the useless, resource-wasting Acer applications. For context, I've been using PCs/laptops since the late 80's. For current and future use get one with 16 gigabytes of memory, and 1 terabyte of disk space. SSD storage will be expensive and not necessary.

At the place I used to work (5000mstaff) we used either Dell (Windows) or Apple laptops. An Apple laptop will be expensive compared to a Dell. But the included apps on a MacBook are pretty good. You may have to pay extra for similar applications on a Dell. Do some research on the Dell and Apple web sites.

I have an Asus, and like PP above with the Acer, its loaded with garbage applications that I don't use. It also runs very slow. I cheaped out and bought this around the same time DH spent more and got a Mac laptop. Mine needs to be taken and professionally cleaned up so that its usable again, but his Mac is still going strong with no issues.

I have an Acer and would not recommend it. It took me a while to remove all the useless, resource-wasting Acer applications. For context, I've been using PCs/laptops since the late 80's. For current and future use get one with 16 gigabytes of memory, and 1 terabyte of disk space. SSD storage will be expensive and not necessary.
I agree an SSD isn't necessary, but it sure is nice on startup. An SSD to hold the OS and programs, and a 1TB drive for all the files would be the best IMO (obviously if it fits in the budget). If you're going to rely on external storage for files, make sure the HD you get supports at least USB3.0 and make sure you have mutliple USB3.0 (or better) ports on the laptop.

Will you often plug in to internet (as opposed to just using wifi)? If so, I suggest making sure the laptop has an ethernet port (if you need a USB adaptor, that ties up a USB port).
Will you need to plug into a larger monitor often (ie: display images to a room of people). If so, make sure you have an HDMI output (again, you can do it via USB adaptor, but that's another port)
How will you get content onto the laptop (or external hard drive)? From an SD card from a camera? If so, look for an integrated card reader (again, USB readers are available, but that's another port)

SSDs are a lot cheaper these days. 500 GB SSDs run only $60-70 or so, 1 TB around $110. I swapped out the hard drive on my 2012 MacBook Pro for an SSD and man is that thing zippy now. But you'll want to check your machine and make sure it's something you can do yourself.

I don't know that I'd say "MORE than adequate". I think it would get the job done right now. But in a year? I wouldn't be convinced.
I am confident that that the specs of the laptop listed will remain powerful enough to be perfectly useful for the described tasks longer then the physical construction of the laptop will last.

I am typing this on an i5 processor computer from 2011 with 8G of RAM. I have no performance issues and do dabble in video and photo editing. It runs PhotoShop CC and LightRoom CC without issue.

the >$500 but less then <$800 price range is the sweet spot for laptops for 99% of what home users need in a Windows laptop.

I would never buy another computer without an SSD.

Once you go SSD, you can't go back!

Absolutely. There is no way I could go back now. I turn my computer on and it literally starts up within 3 seconds. When I was buying this one, i originally bought the same model with a HDD. It was awful. I took it back within a few days, paid the $100 difference and upgraded to the SSD. Best thing I did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter