Lanyards?

Kpercyman

Earning My Ears
Should we bring lanyards for our key card? And if so do we need one for our son who is 6?

Thanks!

Should we bring lanyards for our key card? And if so do we need one for our son who is 6?

Thanks!
Are you first time Disney cruisers? If you want to use lanyards, you'll need to provide your own. As to whether your son "needs" one - that's up to you. They're handy for pin trading, if that is something you'll look into doing. But, you certainly don't HAVE to have one.

We are first time Disney cruisers . We needed them on carnival, but didn’t know if they used key cards on Disney or band things.

We are first time Disney cruisers . We needed them on carnival, but didn’t know if they used key cards on Disney or band things.
Yes, key cards. The kids club has a bracelet (looks like a magic band), but it's only for use in the club/lab.

We ended up buying them for our first. Our kids (age 8 and 4) used them on our cruise when we got on and off the ship. Since they had to scan their own cards, having it around their neck meant they weren't going to leave it somewhere random on the ship. ;)

I had one (went on a Disney cruise with my grandparents when I was four) whereas my other family members did not (this was their first Disney cruise). I really liked having a lanyard with my card right there and accessible in case I ever needed anything and frankly, it was easier for me to find if I placed it somewhere in the room because I'd be looking for a lanyard. For my family, meanwhile, I think some enjoyed not having a lanyard to have to deal with, they didn't have to figure out what to do with it when they'd tan or things like that. My brother kept his in his wallet and just pulled it out whenever needed.

We did have a 2-year-old with us and we always kept his card with us. His was only used to allow him to get on and off the ship. It wasn't like he could charge anything to the room or something similar.

With regards to keeping your lanyards handy in the room when not using them, I'm going to recommend these:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=73796&cat=1,42363,42348

upload_2018-10-14_13-34-35.png

You can put them on the wall beside the door or beside your shoes - whatever works for you - and hang your lanyard on it. You won't forget it this way. The smallest size is just fine for lanyards, but if you think you'll be hanging other, heavier things, then a stronger hook would be better.

My kids preferred clothing on their first cruise didn't include pockets, so if they hadn't had a lanyard they wouldn't have had their room key. Having said that, I don't know if I'd ever let a 6 year old wander the ship on their own so I would probably NOT put a lanyard (that a kid might slip off and lose if they are not used to wearing one) on a 6 year old. They just need the wrist band for the kid's club. The one thing I also had to do for my youngest son on our first cruise was to scotch tape the lanyard holder closed so he wouldn't pull it out.

Thanks everyone! My husband decided he is going to use his pocket and then buy one if needed. Even if it’s more expensive much to my dismay. I’m probably going to get one for myself and the just have my son wear a band. He’s used to wearing a lanyard at school, but he won’t be getting a room key.

My wife and I both purchased phone cases that hold a card. It works great for KTTW cards + holding a cove cafe card. We use the DCL app extensively to chat with each other and the kids (where are you? come to the room now! :)), so the phone case is great in that it's one less thing to remember on the way out the door.

My wife and I both purchased phone cases that hold a card. It works great for KTTW cards + holding a cove cafe card. We use the DCL app extensively to chat with each other and the kids (where are you? come to the room now! :)), so the phone case is great in that it's one less thing to remember on the way out the door.
Can you tell us where you got them?

Thanks everyone! My husband decided he is going to use his pocket and then buy one if needed. Even if it’s more expensive much to my dismay. I’m probably going to get one for myself and the just have my son wear a band. He’s used to wearing a lanyard at school, but he won’t be getting a room key.

He WILL have a key. Everyone has a KTTW card. You or your husband can certainly hold onto his, but every passenger has a card. You have to for embarking and disembarking - at both ends of the cruise as well as at any ports.

He WILL have a key. Everyone has a KTTW card. You or your husband can certainly hold onto his, but every passenger has a card. You have to for embarking and disembarking - at both ends of the cruise as well as at any ports.

I know he will have one, it that doesn’t mean he will get to hang it around his neck while on the ship. He’s only six so he’ll just use his band on the ship and won’t ever be alone. This isn’t my first cruise, just with Disney and I don’t know how different they are from the others.

I know he will have one, it that doesn’t mean he will get to hang it around his neck while on the ship. He’s only six so he’ll just use his band on the ship and won’t ever be alone. This isn’t my first cruise, just with Disney and I don’t know how different they are from the others.

Ok, I was just making sure, because you said "he won't be getting a room key" - not "he won't be holding his room key".

For what it's worth 6 year old twins love taking turns (read: fighting over) who gets to open the stateroom door with their Mickey lanyards, and we like having it on them as ID in case they were to ever slip away and get lost.

Do you own a Disney Vacation Club? If you sail our of Port Canaveral they Advanced Sales Cast Members are usually at the port until about noon, and they give out Vacation Club lanyards to DVC members who are sailing for free. I don't know if they do it out of any of the other ports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts