Ladies - Spring/Summer storms in the parks, what's easiest - poncho, umbrella, rain-jacket?

Farro- that’s a cute jacket! If it folds up small I would for sure bring it- just remember to unfold it when you get back to your room so it doesn’t get moldy. Last summer we bought the Disney ponchos after getting wet and freezing in the indoor ride queues, restaurants and buses. Never imagined we would have done so. This was end of July so steaming hot during the day then wet and hot outside or cold and wet where there was a/c. :upsidedow
We will just bring those puppies back with us this year!

Wear clothing that dries quickly and just get soaked. You'll be dry in less than a half hour after the storm. HAHA
Funny, not true, and obviously not from Florida. The humidity in the summer will keep your clothes damp for days! If you do follow the quick drying clothes suggestion here's an extra tip-don't wear cotton underware. You'll never dry-LOL!

I’m going to throw it all the way back to my old school Disney folks...who remembers the bright yellow Mickey ponchos? I miss seeing the sea of yellow, it seems like more people wore ponchos then. Or maybe it just seemed that way Because of the color. I’m most definitely a poncho person, it’s something we ONLY do at Disney and it has a weird sentimental value for me. Just throw it on and stroll, don’t need to carry an umbrella, and they’re long enough to cover most clothing. :earboy2:

We use the Disney ponchos, yes they are hot, but its better than being damp the rest of the day, with the humidity you never totally dry up! I tried a dollar store poncho once, & in the torrential Disney afternoon rain, it didn't work well. Umbrellas seem like they would be a pain & I've been hit in the face by one before & if you stand next to one, the water from their umbrella drips onto you!, it seems like they are too big for Disney crowds.

I do a little of both. I have ponchos (Disney and cheap ones) but half the time leave/forget them in the room. I have taken a small umbrella which helps when you want to run inside for cover.

When the skies open up here like yesterday - no poncho or umbrella is going to help. The wind was fierce also. I felt so bad for anyone with children. This is the weather here. Depending on when you travel, I would take some cheap ponchos and a small umbrella for the times when it starts or just drizzles. If you want to walk around and it might last a while, throw on a poncho. You will know when you need one or the other but it's good to carry at least one.

The light cheap ponchos are light. So much easier to take on and off but the Disney ones are a little better in quality/lasting.

Starting in May........they are a must.......

Farro- that’s a cute jacket! If it folds up small I would for sure bring it- just remember to unfold it when you get back to your room so it doesn’t get moldy. Last summer we bought the Disney ponchos after getting wet and freezing in the indoor ride queues, restaurants and buses. Never imagined we would have done so. This was end of July so steaming hot during the day then wet and hot outside or cold and wet where there was a/c. :upsidedow
We will just bring those puppies back with us this year!

Thanks! It works quite well - it's been so rainy here in Chicago so far this spring I've gotten a lot of use out of it already. Can only wear on warm days though, it's very lightweight.

We go 5/6 - 5/15 (next year, but I'm shopping for all my summer stuff now) - hopefully it's just some afternoon showers and not all day rains, but we will be prepared!
Very different weather expectations than our normal late October trips. But last October trip was so cold we couldn't go in the pool for a few days and I said nope! Give me the heat! :)

Just got back last night.

We had rain here and there but boy did we have two days of downpours, thunderstorms and lightning. (I heard on the news for the first one they were checking if a tornado hit central Florida).

We of course did not have our ponchos the first time.........what did I say on my above post :sad2:. We were prepared for the second one on a different day. We had to take cover even though we had ponchos. Top stays dry but your feet/sneakers, soaked regardless. They are great for some light rain, steady light rain.

I would take them and carry them daily...........:) - My dd and future son-in-law were better prepared than me.

I have a Disney poncho, and I agree. It gets really sticky, and just generally feels gross.
I usually bring this rain jacket that I bought from forever 21, and it folds up into a little bag that is attached to it, which sounds like yours.
I might bring a windbreaker too but those are heavy.

Small travel umbrella...ponchos are too hot & sticky to me.

Just please be very careful when you open the umbrella. I remember opening my umbrella once and almost stabbed a man who was standing nearby. I was so embarrassed for the poor man, and I've never forgotten the experience of doing something so dumb. But I agree with ponchos-they're hot!

I prefer a light rain jacket with a hood, then a poncho. Nothing against umbrellas, but I find them difficult to navigate with in crowds (maybe it would be easier if I was taller ;) ).

We carry ponchos. I don't like much weight in the bag because I end up carrying it 90% of the time. Two Summers ago, we used them once as there was a pesky semi light rain while we were exploring the world showcase and last year we didn't use them at all. It did rain but mostly when we were back at the resort for a mid afternoon break.

I prefer raincoats and squish four of them into my bag every day there is a chance of rain. Umbrellas and ponchos are too much to deal with in the wind, especially with three kids and a stroller. Raincoats go on, zip up, stay put, and we are good to go. I don't have to worry about anything tearing, flying away, hitting anything, or needing to be replaced before the next storm.

We have ponchos i bought about $10 years ago for $5 each and for my upcoming trip i bought the Charles river pack and go Rain jackets. I plan to bring both since i am testing the rain jackets this trip, but only bring one set to the parks. We are going in August and I expect it to rain every day. Four rain jackets are easier to tote around than umbrellas and weigh next to nothing.

I’m kind of amazed at the amount of people who don’t seem to own lightweight rain jackets! DH and I invested in high quality Marmot packable rain jackets about 12-13 years ago and they come with us on every trip unless it’s winter weather! We use them constantly while traveling and at home a lot too! I don’t bother with umbrellas unless I’m standing in one spot in the rain for an extended period. Ponchos seem totally useless to me. We had a day at Disney in January where it rained nonstop the entire day. We braved MK for 10 hours in the rain and my jacket worked great! My feet were another story though! (It was too cold for sandals so my tennis shoes were soaked!) My BIL didn’t have a rain coat and didn’t want to pay for a poncho so he literally asked a CM at ASMo if he could have a garbage bag and he wore that as a poncho! 😂

I’m kind of amazed at the amount of people who don’t seem to own lightweight rain jackets! DH and I invested in high quality Marmot packable rain jackets about 12-13 years ago and they come with us on every trip unless it’s winter weather! We use them constantly while traveling and at home a lot too! I don’t bother with umbrellas unless I’m standing in one spot in the rain for an extended period. Ponchos seem totally useless to me. We had a day at Disney in January where it rained nonstop the entire day. We braved MK for 10 hours in the rain and my jacket worked great! My feet were another story though! (It was too cold for sandals so my tennis shoes were soaked!) My BIL didn’t have a rain coat and didn’t want to pay for a poncho so he literally asked a CM at ASMo if he could have a garbage bag and he wore that as a poncho! 😂

I'm so thrilled I bought my jacket (in first post). We have had the wettest May here in years and it's paid for itself over and over. Perfect for a warm rain. I'm sure it will work great at Disney. :)

Lightweight small ponchos and quick drying clothes are my go to. If it is really hot, I'll just forgo those and get wet (The ponchos, not the clothes). I hate umbrellas mainly because I can't tell you how many times I have been hit with one. Someone even knocked my glasses off and I would have had the scariest injury if I hadn't been wearing them. I won't use them now when in crowds, just in case I'm not as careful as I should be. Plus it is one less thing to carry.

I HATE ponchos. The plastic just makes you sweat under there in the hot humid weather, I’d rather get rained on than be soaked in perspiration. I wouldn’t carry an umbrella around. We just run for cover and take shelter till the heavy rain passes, it usually doesn’t last very long.

It really depends on the weather outlook as to what rain gear I use. Once we visited WDW and it rained most everyday for our first week. Was really happy to have my Tote's mini telescoping umbrella then. Better still that it fits in my wristlet too.
However if it's just a series of short afternoon showers I bring nothing as my hat tends to keep my eyeglasses from getting wet. The rest of my party tends to just get wet and dry quickly but I always stick a foldable and reuseable poncho in their pockets just in case. Nice to be able to recycle camping gear.

@Farro That is an adorable rain jacket!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter