Labor Day Weekend Reviews

Peter Pirate

Its not the end of civilization...But you can see
Friday night...Arrived at WDW about 8, had PS for FF at nine but were seated by 8:30. Sat at the show bar again. There is no way I can describe the food adequatly. Wife had the grilled Wahoo over fresh tomato risotto. This was very flavorful in a way that I can describe as "jumps at you", not hot spicy, but colorful, can we say? I had the Pan Seared Tile fish over a corn relish. This was great but opposite of my wifes fish as the flavors were delicate, but there nonetheless. My oldst daughter had the Chared NY Strip (so I had a bit of all three entree's). The Strip was FABULOUS! It is so tender (extraordianary for a strip) and the flavors jump in your mouth like an alka seltzer cocktail! A+

Saturday lunch. We ate at Flame Tre Babeque at AK. It was very good for fast food. We ordered two rib meals (and shared) using the AK meal deal coupons (which in essence give you a free soda and ice cream for basically the same prce as your meal would cost ala carte). The ribs were surprisingly meaty and very flavorful. It was a good choice. B

Saturday night dinner. Boma. One of our favorites and it didn't diappoint again, although I found the prime rib lacking this time. Everything else, especially the soups & zebra domes were great. B+.

Sunday lunch. 50's Prime Time. What fun this place is...Although for the price I was certainly wishing we'd had tried Brown Derby. Wife had the Pot Pie and raved about it. Daughter had the Turkey sandwich and deemed it very good. My Steak sandwich while flavorful was a bit fatty and left me wishing I'd ordered something else. Great place for the fun and atmosphere but I'm not sold on consistent food quality having only eaten there 2 or 3 times. B-

Sunday Dinner. Jiko at AK. Wife & I had an evening to ourselves and decded to try Jiko. Not being hungry she shared the 5 African Bread & dipping sauce appetizer with me & had the house salad. We liked the bread & sauces although after they brought more bread that was included with the meal we realized we should have tried someting else. Wifes salad was good, but not great as the fruit dresing was overwhelming. I had the Filet over mac & cheese. This was very tasty. The steak was done to perfection & very flavorful, The M&C is not typical as it blends with the wine sauce that accompanies the steak. As Filet is not my favorite steak (odd, I know) this meal didn't blow me away...Maybe I should have tried the Monk Fish (next time) but still the quality of the service and the product we were served shows undeniable quality. My rating has it straddling an
A-/B+...

Monday Lunch. Columbia Harbor House. We had the Fried Fish meal. Nothing to write home about. Daughter had the salad and again the dressing was overpowering. We probably won't be returning here. C

That's it for now. Bon apetit!

:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

Mr Pirate,

I'm distressed that you dodn't go to my favorite steakhouse. ;)

Eeyore my friend, you know Shula's is sitting with a 2 strike count in the Pirate household...I'm kinda nervous about stepping to the plate! But most importantly, Shula's does't participate in the Florida Resident Disney Dining Experience!

Thanks for the reviews - Flying Fish and Boma are two of my favorite restaurants - glad to read good reviews! I'm also eagerly anticipating our first meal at Jiko!

:earsgirl: Krissy

Pirate:
A short trip, but you ate well!!
Next Flying Fish visit, think I'll try that steak. Lots of folks have indicated it's at the top of the WDW steak list. I suppose it's because of the name of the restaurant that I've always avoided ordering steak. I wonder how many others have done likewise? Sort of like "steak" at the Flying Fish is on the menu as an afterthought, rather than a fine entree--.

Uncle, it does seem that way but wen Chef Robert took over the steak was one of three untouchable items on the menu so it would seem that it was more than an after thought of Chef John...

At FF I can never have a preconceived decision as the "specials" just have to be given merit!

BTW, we met with Chef Robert on this trip & a nice guy he is too. From my experieice and after talking to one of the line chef's I'd have to sa that Chef Robert's influence has only helped FF attain greater culinary heights!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!