Kona Cafe or Ohana for breakfast

chimoe

Mouseketeer
Hello all,

1st time WDW visitor next week. We have a dilemma.

One our our days we have booked Kona Cafe or Ohana for breakfast. I have read reviews that both are outstanding.

Kona sounds great, I read the Tonga toast and the pineapple pancakes are amazing.

Ohana also sounds great (considering it is hard to get in) .it's character dining. (we already have 5 character meals booked for our week trip). I'm sure my kids won't complain for more.

Is the Tonga toast and Pineapple pancakes over rated? Should we just goto Ohana?

Price isn't concern, since we are using DDP for payment.

Wish we could do both but schedule only allow to choose between 1.

I think this is going to be a choice only you can make.

Food at Kona is better and has some variety. Food at Ohana is good, but it is just eggs, meat, waffles, bread and fruit.

Ohana has Stitch and Lilo. If your kids know who they are and would like to see them, then there is that in the "plus" column for Ohana.

I will say that using the DDP has SOME bearing on the question. Ohana is definitely a better value when using DDP. That TS adult credit is worth around $40 and there's no way you'll "spend" $40 at Kona.

I am a sucker for Stitch so I woudl choose 'Ohana. I think that since you can only choose one, and you already have character meals planned, and both look good, I would look at timing and menu. First, remember that 'Ohana is a set menu, and is a pretty basic AYCTE meal, and the Kona menu is ala carte, so plenty of choices that are not scrambled eggs, sausage and fruit. Second, look at the time you can book each, and how long each will take. 'Ohana can run behind even for breakfast, although it is not a bad as dinner, IMO. And then you need at leat 60 to 75 minutes for the meal. Kona is not going to take that time because there are no characters.

If you have a lot of buffet AYCTE meals, already, book Kona. Breakfast is not overrated there. If the kids really want Stitch, choose 'Ohana.

While we haven't tried Ohana for breakfast, Kona is unquestionable our favorite breakfast in the world. I'll caveat that the service is almost always bad, the restaurant tends to be very crowded, but the food is so good that it makes up for that. So I'd definitely go that route, but as others have said if the characters matter Ohana may be your better choice. It's probably considered more of a "value" on the dining plan too.

Please make a decision and release the ADR you won’t use so another family can have a breakfast ADR.

If you want good food, go to Kona. If you want to meet characters, go to O'hana. If you have 5 other character meals, I would probably do Kona. I find the food at O'hana to be overly salty and not very good.

We haven’t been to either yet, but for our upcoming trip we chose Kona Cafe. Ohana has gotten mixed reviews lately, and their breakfast menu is limited compared to what you can order at Kona. We are also on the DDP, and while Kona isn’t as good of a value in that respect the menu items appealed to us more! GL with your decision!

Please make a decision and release the ADR you won’t use so another family can have a breakfast ADR.

this seems a little mean spirited. the OP said this is their first trip, and according to this post there’s only one meal where they’ve doubled up on ADRs. i definitely get feeling frustrated when people hoard reservations (i remember a couple years back when people would finally pick which BOG meal would work best in their vacation week and post 15+ times on the cancellation threads. utterly absurd). but one breakfast is not hoarding.

OP: I think you have good advice here. it’s up to you to decide if your family prefer more standard food with fun characters or more unique food in a more standard venue. and once you decide which meal to cut, you can always post the details to the november cancellation thread to try and coordinate and pass your ADR on to a fellow DISer. have a great trip :)

I would choose Kona since you already have 5 other character meals booked. Our breakfast experience at ‘Ohana wasn’t great..character interactions rushed and food not so good. Our food was excellent at Kona and there’s way more variety. Have a great trip!!

this seems a little mean spirited. the OP said this is their first trip, and according to this post there’s only one meal where they’ve doubled up on ADRs. i definitely get feeling frustrated when people hoard reservations (i remember a couple years back when people would finally pick which BOG meal would work best in their vacation week and post 15+ times on the cancellation threads. utterly absurd). but one breakfast is not hoarding.

OP: I think you have good advice here. it’s up to you to decide if your family prefer more standard food with fun characters or more unique food in a more standard venue. and once you decide which meal to cut, you can always post the details to the november cancellation thread to try and coordinate and pass your ADR on to a fellow DISer. have a great trip :)
I don’t intend to be mean spirited.
But I do believe it is mean to other families to be holding more than one popular ADR for a single meal period next week. I believe it’s time to make a decision.

We always ended our trips with 'Ohana and then the last time on our Disneymoon, we had awful/rude service. That and the lackluster meal pushed us to try Kona the next time. We have been going ever since and positively love it. The Tonga Toast is good, but the pancakes are just so darn good. They are filled with macadamia nuts and I always ask for extra macadamia nut butter--simply delicious.

Since youre on the DP, i'd go with Ohana. Lilo & Stitch are too cute, and so is Mickey. Love them. Also, i love the fact that its a family style breakfast. You just chill while the food and characters come to you.

The meal consists of mickey waffles, scrambled eggs, Island-style fried potatoes, Hawaiian pork sausages, Hawaiian-style ham, a variety of fresh fruits and assorted breads (I love their bread!). If you want regular bacon apparently all you have to do is ask and they'll bring you some.

Kona is good, but you can get the Tonga toast at the QS at the poly called Catpain Cooks. And btw re: the pineapple macadamia pancakes, I heard they've changed it up and bit (its not the same as before). Something to consider.

Kona use to be my fave until I discovered The Wave. In my opinion I find the food far better. :) I always get the buffet (but you can order off the menu too). Part of the buffet includes a few made-to-order items. My fave is the french toast. They serve 3 different spreads with it...one of them is a macadamia butter. OH MY GOODNESS! its so good. And the maple syrup is warmed up too. Absolute heaven! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!