Kona Cafe dinner reviews after menu change

Octoberbaby

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

I have been searching for Kona reviews for dinner since the menu change. I am planning on going in October, but I am wondering if I should search for another adr. We enjoy breakfast there, and have been for lunch in the past, but not for dinner or since the new menu change. TIA!

Same here! Right now I am thinking of cancelling it and just doing quick service at WL instead.

We ate dinner at Kona last week. It has been awhile since the last time I ate there so I'm not entirely sure of the changes in the menu, but I can tell you about what we had. We split the pot stickers, and they were quite good. Two of us got sushi, which was good, but the price for one of the rolls was a bit crazy, $24.00 for 12 pieces. I know food is more expensive at DW, but in this case I didn't think that the sushi was worth the cost. The other two in our party had the poke bowls. They both said they were good but could use some extra seasoning, so they added soy sauce. We skipped dessert, so I can't make any comments on that. I would say that it wasn't a bad meal, but nothing really stood out to me and makes me want to go back anytime soon.

We ate dinner at Kona last week. It has been awhile since the last time I ate there so I'm not entirely sure of the changes in the menu, but I can tell you about what we had. We split the pot stickers, and they were quite good. Two of us got sushi, which was good, but the price for one of the rolls was a bit crazy, $24.00 for 12 pieces. I know food is more expensive at DW, but in this case I didn't think that the sushi was worth the cost. The other two in our party had the poke bowls. They both said they were good but could use some extra seasoning, so they added soy sauce. We skipped dessert, so I can't make any comments on that. I would say that it wasn't a bad meal, but nothing really stood out to me and makes me want to go back anytime soon.
Thank you for your review, and the info!

We were really disappointed with the changes, at least for dinner. Our first dinner at Kona was Oct 2017, for my birthday, and my boyfriend and I loved it - I thereafter proclaimed that it was my favorite meal. So when we traveled again with my family in Jan 2019, I booked a dinner ADR there, eager to share the experience with my family. But while it was ok, none of us were particularly thrilled. The dishes weren't as tasty (the chicken dish on the previous menu was phenomenal) and we felt the sides were unnecessarily expensive, especially for what you get - we got the $15 jumbo shrimp, to go with the steak we ordered, and the portion was laughable. Sadly, we will not be returning - when we go for our honeymoon, we'll be giving Ohana a shot instead.

My sister and I made a spur of the moment decision to eat at Kona on Sunday. Let’s just say it wasn’t great. I ordered the jumbo shrimp (meh) and a burger. The burger looked like it was cooked correctly, but the texture was terrible and it had no discernible flavor other than the sauce it was doused in. Worse than any burger I’ve experienced. I’m not usually one to complain at a restaurant, but I did and they offered to bring me something else or take it off my bill. I chose the latter. My sister’s meal was edible, but mediocre. I would find a different restaurant.

We ate there last October. My husband and I were both very disappointed. They took our favorites off the menu. Our family has always loved the food there. Our favorite thing to order were the wings. GONE!! This was our daughter-in-law's choice for every trip, but we will not be going back. I asked our server if there was a new chef. She said no that the chef was the same. My husband ordered the mussels. They were served in a wide rimmed bowl without a bowl to discard the shells. There wasn't any bread or toast . He had to line the shells up on the rim of the bowl. We would of asked for a discard plate but they forgot to bring the mussels and they had brought our main course. We asked to have the main taken back since we had just received the apps. When my fish was served it was dry. My husband had the chicken noodle salad. That was also disappointing. I am hoping the menu will be reworked if enough people complain. I know changes need to be made but I feel Disney sometimes goes to far with that by not leaving some of the popular items.

Agree with all the other posts. Very disappointed in the changes...especially losing the wings and the Asian chicken noodle bowl. Six of us tried a wide range of items on the new menu and there was not one than anyone said they'd order again. The only positive thing to say is that if you are on the dining plan and order the steak, then you'll get your money's worth. Other than that, STAY AWAY till they change the menu!!

Oh this makes me so sad as i to had enjoyed the meal I have had there in the past. Mussels in a Polynesian themed location? Did I miss something?

Makes me so sad as this was our go to for many years. Loved the Crab Rangoon Sushi Roll, and the Chocolate banana creme brulee. Last time, had trouble even finding something to order. Waiting til there is a great menu or review. Thanks to all for sharing!

Oh this makes me so sad as i to had enjoyed the meal I have had there in the past. Mussels in a Polynesian themed location? Did I miss something?
OT: That’s how we felt when we saw chicken and waffles @ Tiffins in December; it was a horror show of a menu.

We are at Kona on July 1. I thought it was very good and we all enjoyed the menu choices. We all commented it was much better than our last visit. We weren’t huge Kona fans before- thought it was just “okay”. I think it moved up to “good” on recent visit.

We ate at Kona Friday night and again last night. We had super low expectations and Friday night made our adr for convenience. We were so surprised how much we enjoyed our food. We had the dining plan and we try to make the most of it. We ordered the porterhouse for 2 credits. It was so tender, both the filet and the strip portion and we cut both with our butter knives. Cooked perfectly with fantastic flavor. The bone marrow portion was over cooked but still good and the sides it comes with were delicious. We were truly shocked. We both said it was better than any steak we have had at yachtsman.

We returned last night and cancelled another adr to do so. We each ordered the 20oz ribeye and because they do not include a side we split the lobster Mac and cheese out of pocket. These steaks were also super. We thought they tasted better than the ribeyes we had before at yachtsman but not quite as tender. We would get the filet or the strip over the ribeye and we both generally prefer ribeyes. Lobster Mac and cheese was also really good with plenty of lobster.

Hope this helps. It’s a great use of a 1 credit meal for steak on the dining plan. For certain it was better than any other steak we have had to n property for 1 credit and we thought better than le Cellier and yachtsman, just shy of Shulas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts