Koi Gone at Japan Pavilion at Epcot?

I remember a family member talk about radar guided guns. That should take care of those suckers
The Blue Heron is a protected nongame bird. There are substantial penalties to killing or even harming one including jail time and up to 20K in fines. And yes, I know your post was in jest but I like to be a wiseguy sometimes and I remember my father looking up the penalties. Not because he had plans to hurt it, but he did look into using a water gun to try and scare it away and decided he could buy a lot of koi for the penalty if it did get hurt.

I learned a lot of fun words from my dad thanks to that heron over the course of my childhood.

The Blue Heron is a protected nongame bird. There are substantial penalties to killing or even harming one including jail time and up to 20K in fines. And yes, I know your post was in jest but I like to be a wiseguy sometimes and I remember my father looking up the penalties. Not because he had plans to hurt it, but he did look into using a water gun to try and scare it away and decided he could buy a lot of koi for the penalty if it did get hurt.

I learned a lot of fun words from my dad thanks to that heron over the course of my childhood.

Commit was made tongue in check

How sad. That was a beautiful koi pond

It's still a beautiful location but the koi added an aesthetic appeal to the Japan pavilion. It's still has charm but the koi were a highlight that will be terribly missed. I'm glad I took several pictures of them during their tenure. RIP, wherever you guys are.

Last edited:

We loved the koi too. I remember many a happy afternoon with my boys watching them while they ate kakigori’s.

I am holding out hope that they are hiding from the cold.

Little late... But there were no koi on Sunday while we were there. Sad. They are a favorite.

our DestiNATIONS tour guide on Monday said they removed them due to the cold weather but they should hopefully be back in the spring

Thank you so much for getting this information. I'll be looking forward to seeing them the next time we visit. The koi, like the model trains that run in Germany, are those little touches that make World Showcase so unique.

Was just at Epcot on April 13th and no Koi. So looks like it might be no koi ever again. Extremely disappointed at Disney for making us pay more while taking little fun things that add character to the park like the koi did. I bet this is just the start wouldn't be surprised if they put something Disney in there or buy Pokemon and put a bunch of Pickachu's in it.

That's really disappointing that the Koi are not back. i really enjoyed watching them. We will be there next week and I will be checking to see if they are back. Missed them in October.

Reactions: Iya
I'm also sad they haven't come back! Maybe it was for thier own safety? I can only imagine the coins and trash people threw in there...

I remember when EPCOT opened they had parrots near the wheelchair enterence of the Mexico pavilion. I think they took them out when they built Discovery Island, and I think they're now in the oasis at Animal Kingdom. But if you look thier original purch is still there.

Anyways, I'm sure they are being well cared for. And hopefully they show up again some where soon.

At EPCOT today and no koi in China or Japan. Very sad to see. The ponds are still very pretty, but missing something.

No Koi yesterday April 23rd, I was sad they weren't there, my mom has a Koi pond in her backyard back in NY, so it always reminds me of my parents and growing up.

I just hope that the Koi fish are gone because they were removed, rather than that they were victims of the Great Blue Herons. Hopefully, they're still swimming around, happy and healthy somewhere.

We haven't seen then the last few times either. Miss them as they were always nice to just watch for a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter