Kobe Bryant --TMZ Reports He Died In Helicopter Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
My payers go out to all the people who died in the helicopter crash in California. Let the police and authorities do their job and figure out why it crashed. TMZ should cool out and let the families heal and the police do their job.

You didn't watch it live on tv? My 5th grade class did.

Nope. I was in middle school in Michigan, and we didn't watch it. We talked about it beforehand, especially because of Christa McAuliffe, but no school or class viewing. Weird, huh. :confused3 My English teacher was on her break and heard about it in the teacher's lounge. She then ran down the hall to inform all the other 6th grade teachers.

I remember walking in the house and my sister was already home from HS, and watching it. We both were frozen with our jaws open for hours before our parents came home.

Very true. When I think about it, the first real wall to wall coverage I remember vividly (I was old enough) was The Challenger. Still never forget the face of my English teacher when she came into the science class to tell us what happened. I was glued to the TV when I got home from school.
Saw it in person. It was so cold out. In the 20’s I think. Didn’t know what happened at first but I had seen enough launches to know it wasn’t good. So tragic.

Saw it in person. It was so cold out. In the 20’s I think. Didn’t know what happened at first but I had seen enough launches to know it wasn’t good. So tragic.

Oh how awful. I bet you couldn't believe what you were witnessing. :( Hard enough watching it on TV.

I remember the John Jr and Caroline plane crash coverage. I had a 2 year old and newborn twins so I was stuck inside, feeding babies and changing diapers.

This is so sad
I heard it was very foggy. I wonder if passengers on a helicopter ever decide not to fly in that condition.

The weather today in LA and OC was not good AT ALL for flying a helicopter. There were low clouds and drizzle all morning and afternoon. There was heavy, dense fog all last night and this morning. Seems very similar to the weather conditions that led to that crash in Hawaii last month. These pilots should know better than to take a copter up in coastal mountains under these conditions. Very tragic.

I remember the John Jr and Caroline plane crash coverage. I had a 2 year old and newborn twins so I was stuck inside, feeding babies and changing diapers.
Funny (if that is the right word) who some can stick with you so vividly.
I was pregnant when the Pike River mine collapsed, I remember the news reading out each name and saying something about each person, it was their first day of work, getting married next weekend etc. And I just sobbed.

The weather today in LA and OC was not good AT ALL for flying a helicopter. There were low clouds and drizzle all morning and afternoon. There was heavy, dense fog all last night and this morning. Seems very similar to the weather conditions that led to that crash in Hawaii last month. These pilots should know better than to take a copter up in coastal mountains under these conditions. Very tragic.

I think many of us wonder that. Why go in those lousy conditions? Refuse to fly. It makes no sense, even if you fly that route all the time and know it like the back of your hand. Why??

But was the pilot pressured, told to fly regardless of weather conditions?

Please know I’m not saying that’s what happened, nor am I implying it. But I am saying it did cross my mind. Executive charters are very different to commercial flying.

My thoughts are with all those who had family in the crash.

There are two two news reports I remember probably the most vividly. One is the OKC bombing. I was 5 at the time and remember watching President Clinton's speech. The other was the burnup of the Columbia. We were overseas at the time and I had gotten home from class not long ago. Mom had me come in to watch the landing on Fox News because of the historic nature of the crew. I don't remember how long we had been watching but I still remember vividly remember them trying to reestablish contact with Columbia. And that almost deafening silence.

I think many of us wonder that. Why go in those lousy conditions? Refuse to fly. It makes no sense, even if you fly that route all the time and know it like the back of your hand. Why??

But was the pilot pressured, told to fly regardless of weather conditions?

Please know I’m not saying that’s what happened, nor am I implying it. But I am saying it did cross my mind. Executive charters are very different to commercial flying.

Apparently according to this: https://www.aircraftcompare.com/blog/can-helicopters-fly-in-bad-weather/

Helicopters can fly in less then ideal conditions depending on the type

I kind of wonder if we'll eventually hear that there was some sort of mechanical issue that may have contributed to it as much as the possible weather.

Apparently according to this: https://www.aircraftcompare.com/blog/can-helicopters-fly-in-bad-weather/

Helicopters can fly in less then ideal conditions depending on the type

I kind of wonder if we'll eventually hear that there was some sort of mechanical issue that may have contributed to it as much as the possible weather.

Oh yes, they definitely can.

But this pilot was flying VFR (visually, following the freeways) not using instruments to help guide. That’s why he had to hold/circle so long because ATC followed protocol to land those using IFR (instrument flying aircraft) first.

Pilot likely got disoriented in the fog and when he circled he crashed into the mountain.

I know this sounds awful and weird, but I’d rather it be a mechanical failure than pilot error. You know everything the pilot did will be second guessed. And rightfully so, but I know he has a family that’s grieving too.

Oh yes, they definitely can.

But this pilot was flying VFR (visually, following the freeways) not using instruments to help guide. That’s why he had to hold/circle so long because ATC followed protocol to land those using IFR (instrument flying aircraft) first.

Pilot likely got disoriented in the fog and when he circled he crashed into the mountain.

I know this sounds awful and weird, but I’d rather it be a mechanical failure than pilot error. You know everything the pilot did will be second guessed. And rightfully so, but I know he has a family that’s grieving too.

Whoops I had missed that detail. I admit I haven't been following this extremely closely because I had other things to do today. Thanks for the info.

And I actually agree about I rather it be a mechanical error. I watch Air Disasters a lot. It always feels worse somehow when its a pilot error to me.

Though sometimes mechanical error can be just as bad if someone messed up maintanence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter