Knocked out by my price quote!

nicanna

Earning My Ears
Hello. I have never taken a cruise, so this is my first experience with prices...Dreams Unlimited quoted me a price for 2 adults and 2 6 y/o children , 7 nite eastern, catogory 5, leaving next April 4/12/2003, with no airfare, $6,780. Is this alot or is it me...You don't even see WDW at all....I was told it was the time of year we are going. I am wondering if it is the catogory? I don't know much about this piece. Can anyone help? Thank you

spring break times are typically high in demand, and therefore they can get a higher price. Can you be more flexible on your dates? If so, i would change as it could save you big bucks.

You could also save some $$$ by going to a lower category room.
We stayed in a cat 11, with 2 adults and 2 kids. We had a crib in the room and a double carriage and we never had any problem with space or storage areas. The rooms are much bigger than I expected.

We are going first week of November,and are paying 1/2 of your price for a cat 6 for 2 adults and 2 children. The kids are off 2 days that week for teachers convention,and will miss 3 days of school.

I agree with the other replies...you are cruising at a prime time and you are in a higher room category which will jack your price up tremendously. Also, keep in mind that Disney Cruises are quite a bit more expensive compared to other lines we have sailed on. Disney is great and worth the extra money, but if you are on a tight budget and schedule, try checking out the other lines and do Disney when you can go at a cheaper time...don't get me wrong, I am not discouraging you from Disney...I highly recommend it, but we have to go with what is best for us at the moment.

Forgot to mention in my previous post...my husband and I are going May 18, 7 night Eastern, category 12, for $1800 total, through AAA...we asked for the cheapest and best deal over the three month period we could go and that is what she found. We got quotes from Disney Dreams also, but got a better deal with AAA. Hope this helps and good luck with your vacation planning.

We are going on a 4 day in September 2 adults, 2 kids, category 10....$1655.

We want to try the 7 day next but will cruise in the fall for better rates.

Good luck, find a way to do it. If you have to give up the view and go with a lower category, you'll still have a great time. All you do is sleep in the room anyway. And the cabins are big.

Easter is on April 20th in 2003, so the cruises the week prior to Easter and the week following Easter will be some of the highest rates you'll see all year. It's the same at WDW... the resorts are packed for the 2 weeks straddling Easter, so it's a very pricey time to go. We're going on the Magic Western Itinerary on April 26, 2003, after the holiday hubbub (and holiday high prices) have died down. We originally checked on going 2 weeks earlier, but the total price for the cruise was significantly higher due to the Easter holiday. It's a busy vacation time for families while the kids are out of school. If your schedule is flexible, you might want to have Dreams check some other dates for you so you can compare prices. :)

Category 5 and Category 6 staterooms are identical -- except that Category 5 costs more. The only difference is that Category 5 staterooms are on deck 7, which is one level higher than the majority of Category 6 staterooms. I think deck 6 is actually a more convenient location, given that we made a lot more trips downstairs (to restaurants, shows, lounges, movies, shops, kid's clubs, guest services, and scheduled events) than upstairs (to the pools, deck events, and Topsiders).

In addition to considering different dates, another way to reduce the price is to consider less expensive room categories. A private verandah is a nice luxury, but the promenade deck chairs on level 4 are really a much better place to spend time and read. I will seriously consider a less expensive category (or perhaps two staterooms across the hall from each other for the four of us) instead of a Category 5 or 6 room next time.

We have sailed twice in Cat.5 and 6 respectively and are going cat.,6 in December on the western. We went Easter break on our first and paid approx 1200.00 more than our friends that waited two weeks and went first week of May. Easter break was crowded and we much preferred December which is what we are going to do again. There was NO DIFFERENCE- same exact size room from Cat. 6-5 so thats why we booked six again. I would suggest booking a seven-you still have a veranda- or lower to save money- or just go at a different time. At age six they don't miss much in school- our son is nine and we find he learns more seeing different countries for a week than he does in class.;)

The first quote I got for a 7 day cat 4or 5 for a family of 6 also blew me out of the water...I know exactly how you feel....After more research and reading of these boarrds I decided if I do a cruise....It will be a 4 day in a cat 10.....the price was much more agreable to me.....

I'll spend money every 6 - 10 months to stay in WDW but to spend twice as much to spend a few days on a boat was difficult to fathom at first....but I'm sure when we get to do it it will be a fantatic trip in a cat 10 vs a cat 4....

Good luck

Zurgs wife: You can't fit 6 in a cat10. Wouldn't you then need 2 rooms and pay 4 adult fares? I haven't done the math but in your particular case, it might be better to get the higher category. I don't know.

we went on a 3 day and are now going on a 4 day in fall when it is priced low. I guess we'll have to do a 7 day next.

We go to Disney for a few days here and there throughout the year which is easy for us as we live in FL. It doesn't seem to cost as much as taking a big 1 week or 2 week trip to disney if we drive up, do the parks, stay over, do the parks again and drive home.

Anyway, just another perspective

Nicanna, you just have to find a way to go, you won't regret it!

Nicanna,

I know what you mean by the prices. One thing about Disney Cruises - the prices only go up. What I mean is that the earlier you book, the greater your savings. The 2003 cruises have been available for quite some time, so the early booking savings won't be as great as if you would have booked when the 2003 dates became available. Within days of booking our 4/5/04 cruise earlier this year, the price rose $500 for the same category.

Another alternative: Perhaps you will want to wait until the 2004 bookings become available - while you still may be paying more than those traveling during huracane season because of the holiday, you should save as compared to the $6000+ price you were quoted. Maybe your travel agent can give you an idea about the initial holiday period price so you can compare and see if it would be worth waiting until 2004.

Hi nicanna

Your quote does seem to be high. We are taking a 7 day land/sea DCL trip in April and are paying $3715 total for a Cat. 6 (with Beach Club land) for 2 adults and 2 teenagers.

Perhaps you could move your dates by a couple of weeks and get a Cat. 6 as opposed to Cat. 5 to save some $.

Our first DCL land/sea trip was in April 2000 - which was at Easter time - and we paid much more then for lessor accomodations than we are paying for this trip.

You can try going on the DCL website and using different dates and categories for price quotes.

Sonya....I meant to say 2 rooms in either catagory....there arn't any cats that fit 6 other than the 1, 2 maybe the 3...so two cabins is the cheapeast way to go for us when we go....

Your kids look so cute...How old are they? Come do the 4 day cruise with us in Sept. We're doing the Cat 10 too.

Sonya....I'd love to do a cruise in Sept...except we are going to WDW for Halloween...hopefully I'll get to do one soon...

BTW how far in advance do cruises go on sale...I thought looking into a march 2003 cruise in March 2002 was good but if what I'm hearing is correct...they went on sale much earlier at a much greater savings....

We just cruised Spring Break and it seemed high to me but it is peak season. We had a Cat.11 on deck 6-inside stateroom. We were never in the room!!!(except to sleep,shower and change clothes).The weather was great-a little windy the 1st 2 days.I would drop down a few categories and still go. It's worth it!!!!

Mrs Potatohead,
Who did you book though? We want to be on the 4/26/03, and haven't booked yet-- that's a better price than Disney Travel gave us (we're just starting our research). Can you make any reccomendations??

Nicanna - We are going on the April 13th cruise. I just got a quote from Dreams Unlimited for April 12th, 2003 for the Western Caribbean cruise & I was also a bit shocked. 2 adults& 1 child -Cat 6 - $5500.00, a lot more than we are paying for the same week this year!

They are getting a premium for the western route & next year is the prime spring break week, as other posters noted. This year, Easter was early so our Spring break for school fell at a good time pricewise I guess. Our Spring break falls at the same time each year. I think we may look into another cruise line, even though we love Disney. We are verandah people, so I wouldn't want to compromise. Trying a new cruiseline may be fun.

Is the Explorer of the Seas the one with the skating rink & rock climbing wall? That sounds cool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter