Knew my weight loss on cruise was too good to be true

Doctor P

<font color=navy><font color=navy>Chocolate covere
Apparently, I have developed diabetes and that helps explain why I lost a lost of weight during the timeframe we were on the cruise. I guess the cruise was my last fling with unrestricted eating. Oh well...glad I went in and got checked out.

Sorry to hear that, DoctorP. My DH was diagnosed with diabetes about 3-4 years ago, when he was still in his late 30's.

How is your doctor handling this? What medications, if any, has he prescribed??

My Hemoglobin A1C (is that right?) was astronomical. He has placed me on glucophage to start things and expects to put me on once a day insulin shots to be monitored every 14 days till we get my blood sugar to drop quite a bit. He would then possibly go to some other medications and wean me off the insulin. We're just taking it day by day since this is such new territory. We will also see the diabetes educator and the nutritionist to get a handle on diet changes.

I'm really sorry about that. What a huge lifestyle change that will be.

Hey, my DD drove out to DeKalb today - helping her bf's brother move in at NIU. Wave at her if you see her!

Karyn

It can be so scarey to hear a new unexpected diagnosis... my thoughts are with you

What caused you to go get it checked out? Were you having some kind of symptoms?

Glad you did get it checked out.....best of luck with this!

The diagnosis was not a real surprise to me given my symptoms: extreme thirst, frequent and urgent urination, some incontinence, weight loss, fatigue, blurred vision at times (not all symptoms at once). When I looked up diabetes in our medical guide that the HMO gives us, I had almost all the symptoms they mentioned as well as some key risk factors. I already had an appointment with my urologist scheduled for this past Monday, August 18 and was scheduled for blood tests that day to check my kidney functions due to some drugs I had been taking. I had resolved not to panic, but also to not walk out of the doctor's office without discussing my symptoms with him. He pushed the symptoms off a little bit until I said I was concerned that it might be diabetes and whether the urinalysis he had just done might give us a hint as to whether that might be possible. He looked at the results again, and his eyes about bugged out. He said I was throwing sugar out big time. I told him that I was having blood tests that day anyway, so if there was anything we could run while they were going to draw me anyway that might make sense. He told me to sit still because he wanted to be sure he ordered the right tests in the right manner. He definitely ordered the right test as a next step (hemoglobin A1C). They called me the next day (yesterday) and my numbers were off the chart and suggested I get an appointment with my internist as quickly as possible. I got in today and he confirmed the diagnosis and worked on treatment with me. Interestingly, again by coincidence, I had an appointment at our regional opthamology center this morning so I was able to get thoroughly checked out with respect to vision. There has been no damage thus far, which is a nice load off my mind. I'm taking it day by day and will get through whatever we need to do, but it will take some lifestyle changes for our whole family. Thanks for the support and concern--I just wonder how cruising next September will be as a diabetic.

I'm sure you will be fine cruising. My dad cruised with us this summer and had a wonderful time. By then, you will know what to do. Best wishes.

DoctorP - so sorry to hear that! I learned that I have hypoglycemia on the last cruise. Not a fun diagnosis either - but easier to treat than diabetes. Yes, major changes for you and yours, but thankfully you learned of it early and can modify diet and exercise enough to live a full and long life.

Take care,
Rae

I was diagnosed with Diabetes two weeks after coming back from a Disney cruise too! I know it stinks, but you will find that they are not nearly as stiff about food as they used to be. I've been known to have my Ice cream Sundae when I really want one. It is all about moderation and not doing it all the time. :)

Good luck to you!

Kathy

Sorry to hear that Dr. P.

My mom has diabetes and hasn't had to go on Insulin yet. She is careful about what she eats but isn't obsessive. It's been about a year since her diagnosis and she now knows what she can and can't eat to keep her blood sugar in check. By the time you cruise next year, you will also know. :) Good Luck!

that is the key....if you eat right, exercise very, very often (30 minutes + per day vigorously, 5 days a week), take your meds meticulously, you'll be fine....

You'll find out that if you do these things, you can splurge from time to time and eat your favorite foods....

exercise is definitely the biggest factor in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels, and not having that spacey, tired feeling

Why can't we ever get a disease where we can eat everything we want, as much as we want, drink excessively, party hard and just be computer potatoes?

SHESSH!

Rae

Doctor P, I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but I am glad you pushed your doctor to do the testing. Hemoglobin A1C shows the mean blood glucose that you have had over the last 2-3 months, so you need not be fasting to be tested. Excellent that he sent you to the Internist, too. Diabetes can be managed, but going undiagnosed is very dangerous and can lead to all sorts of damage. I agree with the exercise suggestion and want to encourage you that this is not the end of the world. My mother is diabetic (insulin-dependent adult-onset) and I am very conscious of my elevated risk. Lots of vegetables, some fruit, frequent exercise, and limited refined carbs are a big part of both of our lives. You will be happy to hear that I took Mom on the Disney cruise this past February and she just could not get over the choices she had food-wise. Every night she could choose from 3 or 4 desserts made especially for diabetics (not just vanilla ice cream), and her glucose was fine the whole time! Take care, our thoughts and prayers are with you!Sus:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter