Kings Dominion, VA Campground

ArielRae

DIS Veteran (NJ)
DH and I have a trip planned to visit Kings Dominion for the first time. We will be there May 13th from open to close. We are staying in a cabin at the campground. Anyone ever been to this campground? Our local amusement park is Six Flags Great Adventure. Can you tell us what are the popular rides we should do first to avoid long lines later in the day? Will we have to rent lockers for our stuff to go on the coasters? We got the dining pass to split. It says you can have a meal every 90 minutes. What are your favorite meal / meal locations? Any and all tips/tricks would be appreciated. Thanks!!

We live about 10 minutes from Kings Dominion and go often! As far as food is concerned we eat at Boarder Cafe (their version of chipotle) often which is a lot of food and totally sharable! Country Kitchen is also a lot of food and good quality compared to the usual theme park fare. Not sure if you bought a souvenir bottle for drinks but the dining plans do not come with them. They will give you a small clear solo cup of water but if you want anything else the daily refill cup is the way to go. They have refill stations throughout the park and you can refill it at any dining location for $1 as well. I would say you will find the longest lines on the Intimidator 305, Volcano and Dominator! Also as a side note its a good thing you are eating in the park because there is not much in the area surrounding the park. There is a burger king and a 7/11 as well as a truck stop but thats about it lol:) If you go up an exit on 95 to 104 or down to 92 there are better selections!

Have never been to the park but 2 years (JAN 2015) ago we did stay in CG overnight on our way home. Just 3 hours from home but allowed me to flush tanks and prepare to bring to service local for winterize and time our at home arrival for decent hour. We were very impressed, While we were one of only 2 campers there they couldn't have been nicer. CS was immaculate and even though nobody was using it I saw them clean it twice during our stay. Only disappointment is that when I tried to make ressie for last year they were not going to be open. Wife wants to go back in season as they have some sort of Dinosaur attraction and she loves her some dinosaurs

Last edited:
I cannot say enough nice things about the campground at Kings Dominion. Our family got "stranded" there when the power steering pump went out on our tow vehicle 4th of July weekend last year. The management there went above & beyond to help us get our car fixed, they drove us 30 miles to the Richmond Airport so that we could get a rental car, and even comped us an extra night when there were further delays getting our car fixed.

We loved Kings Dominion park, too! We are passholders at Cedar Point & our passes get us in to all Cedar Fair parks. We actually prefer Kings Dominion to Cedar Point. It has more of a theme park feel while Cedar Point is definitely more of a thrill park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts