Kim Kardashian - lawyer

Kind of like going to nursing school doesn’t prepare you to actually BE a nurse...You learn all of the important stuff in clinical.

She might be better off interning :confused3

Oh I agree, but standardized tests are geared toward minutia that you learn in the text books. For more years that I care to admit my day job is an extremely high level legal executive assistant. I work closely with attorneys and am a sponge, however, no way would I ever even pretend that I could sit for the bar. Also, with KK, who are these attorney's she's interning with? Are they in any way qualified to teach? But hey....God Bless her, she's at least trying.

Here you go:
http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions.../Legal-Education/Law-Office-or-Judges-Chamber

California is one of the few states that lets you do this.

Although, if you think about it, back in the 1800s and earlier, that's exactly what you did in the US.
The UK still has the pupillage system, after completing a degree, though.

The American Bar Association wasn't founded until 1878.
Louisiana used to be too (I thought it was still like that). But very few passed it without a law degree. There are a few locally famous ppl who have & they were known for their brilliance. So...

I think it is asinine you are allowed to become a lawyer without even obtaining a bachelor degree (which she does not have).
It will be next to impossible for someone without a degree to pass. Arguably, if you can pass a licensing exam in any field, I’d say you’re qualified. I know plenty ppl in my field who can’t pass the licensing exam so essentially their degrees are worthless until they do.

Even athletes pursue a different career path once their athletic career is over. A person’s body can only do so much. A career based on your body and/or looks can only take you so far. Normally athletes, models, actors/actresses, military, law enforcement, etc. facing 40 do opt for retirement and/or evolvement from their current career or pursue a major career change. They say a person has an average 5 major career changes in their lifetime.

I'm wondering if becoming a mom has urged her pursue other endeavors. Do I think she will actually practice if she passes? Probably not. But good for her pursuing something else in her life.

Ok, I'm a person who actually took (and passed) the California Bar Exam. It is quite often ranked as THE most difficult bar exam in the United States....and routinely 1/2 of people who take the bar (and these are 99.9% people who actually went to, and graduated from, a law school) fail, some repeatedly. I graduated near the very top of my law school class, from a respected school, and that exam still kicked my rear. It is very, very hard. The amount of stuff you have to hold in your head for this multi-day exam (8 hours per day) is mind boggling. From the day I graduated from law school till the day of the exam (which was 4 months later), I studied for 56 hours a week...in a detailed, thorough, comprehensive way JUST to make sure I could pass. I was terrified, and if you are not, you are not paying attention. LOL. I cannot emphasize enough how hard this test is. Very very hard. If she makes it the whole way, I'm gonna be shocked. But, if she does manage to pass, she's going to deserve to practice law. LOL

She's going to pay someone $500,000 to take the Bar Exam for her. She talked to Aunt Becky to get the info on how to do it.

LOL. That's actually really hard to do. The security, even back in the dark ages, was pretty rigorous. And, getting caught would be immediate grounds for failure, and if you somehow managed to fool them long enough to "pass", grounds for discipline, which would include revocation of your license.

LOL. That's actually really hard to do. The security, even back in the dark ages, was pretty rigorous. And, getting caught would be immediate grounds for failure, and if you somehow managed to fool them long enough to "pass", grounds for discipline, which would include revocation of your license.

Agreed. When you take the bar exam, you have to provide your thumb print directly on the examination book, as I recall. Then when you do the moral character evaluation, you have to give them all your prints. I always wondered if they match them up to the thumb print provided.

While I do agree that the bar examination is difficult - and I am one who does not do well at all on standardized tests - my experience was not like @mnrose . I passed (on my first try!) but I didn't study as much as @mnrose did. I was putting myself through law school, had just started a new job about 4 months before the bar exam after having been laid off from a job that was moving its operations to Mexico (this was back in the early 2000s). I actually interviewed for the job prior to getting laid off, they called a week after I was laid off to hire me, and off I went to start the new job.

The new employer knew I was sitting for the bar exam four months later and I wasn't going to have enough vacation time to cover it. I was actually surprised they hired me, knowing that I would be leaving within the year (after passing the exam and getting a job in the legal field)

So, I worked 85 hours in a 2-week pay period to save up the time. I did bar review courses after work (they had those at night too), six weeks straight, one week off (bar review course, not work), then the following week was the bar exam (3 days)....now the bar exam is 2 days and people still find it difficult to pass. I was in the middle of my class. I know when I passed it, the pass rate that year was very low.

Here you go:
http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions.../Legal-Education/Law-Office-or-Judges-Chamber

California is one of the few states that lets you do this.

Although, if you think about it, back in the 1800s and earlier, that's exactly what you did in the US.
The UK still has the pupillage system, after completing a degree, though.

The American Bar Association wasn't founded until 1878.

Of course most lawyers a century and half ago didn't go to any kind of law school. Abraham Lincoln didn't. I think as far as a half century ago, the Bachelor of Laws was a common degree in the US (look at the number of Supreme Court justices with one) before the JD became the standard. However, I understand many received on after getting another bachelors degree.

There was a time when one simply had to study independently and then take a test to obtain a professional credential. I know someone who got a California CPA license, and it requires not just a 4-year degree, but the major has to include an accounting emphasis. The person I know was able to take it with an MBA that included a real-estate and accounting emphasis, but without an accounting emphasis from a previous bachelors and masters.

I was watching an Australian series (Ronny Chieng: International Student) where the environment is the law school at the University of Melbourne. The lead actor actually got a Bachelor of Laws there.

I am not a huge Kardashian fan in the least. If she passes the bar and is willing to use what privilege she has to help out people who don't have the same chances/privileges as she does, why is that a bad thing? Should we not be happy when someone is willing to make our society better? I hope she does great and does great things.

I've heard that the CA bar exam is one of the more difficult ones. If she's able to pass it, all the more power to her. But at least based on her public persona, she does not portray herself as a very intelligent individual.

I think she's intelligent but not in the way that's needed to pass the bar exam. I doubt she goes through with this but even if she does, I doubt she'll succeed. But if she does, good for her.

Eh.... I'm indifferent on the Kardashians. They do eye roll worthy things but otherwise are harmless. I won't discount the amount of work that needs to go into studying and preparing for the bar. I realize she has a lot of help, but this is work she will still have to do herself with 3 kids, a demanding husband, and a demanding career. Even though someone may cook her meals and do her house chores, its still a lot. If she can get through it, I'd have respect for the discipline and passion it takes to prepare for something like this.

Ok, I'm a person who actually took (and passed) the California Bar Exam. It is quite often ranked as THE most difficult bar exam in the United States....and routinely 1/2 of people who take the bar (and these are 99.9% people who actually went to, and graduated from, a law school) fail, some repeatedly. I graduated near the very top of my law school class, from a respected school, and that exam still kicked my rear. It is very, very hard. The amount of stuff you have to hold in your head for this multi-day exam (8 hours per day) is mind boggling. From the day I graduated from law school till the day of the exam (which was 4 months later), I studied for 56 hours a week...in a detailed, thorough, comprehensive way JUST to make sure I could pass. I was terrified, and if you are not, you are not paying attention. LOL. I cannot emphasize enough how hard this test is. Very very hard. If she makes it the whole way, I'm gonna be shocked. But, if she does manage to pass, she's going to deserve to practice law. LOL

DW occasionally suggests I take the Florida Bar Exam (Florida doesn't grant bar admission by reciprocity--you have to pass their exam). I shut that down quickly. No way do I want to go through another bar exam. I agree, if she passes, she deserves to be practice law.

DW occasionally suggests I take the Florida Bar Exam (Florida doesn't grant bar admission by reciprocity--you have to pass their exam). I shut that down quickly. No way do I want to go through another bar exam. I agree, if she passes, she deserves to be practice law.

Biggest reason I no longer practice. I was admitted in California, which offers reciprocity to no other states....therefore, no state offers it to lawyers admitted there. So, to practice in Minnesota, I'd have to retake the bar. While I still feel very on top of my game in the areas of the law where I practiced, I'm no longer up on the subtleties of the numerous areas covered by a bar exam. I'd not pass unless I once again dedicated myself to the task 100% for months. And, I just don't care that much. LOL. It would be doubly hard to cram all that stuff into my brain, when I've not looked at or touched (for example) constitutional law for 30+ years.

Maybe she doesn't understand that the bar exam, like, isn't in an actual bar...
You win the thread! :rotfl:

I am not a huge Kardashian fan in the least. If she passes the bar and is willing to use what privilege she has to help out people who don't have the same chances/privileges as she does, why is that a bad thing? Should we not be happy when someone is willing to make our society better? I hope she does great and does great things.
That's kind of how I feel. Definitely not a fan of the Kardashians. But as long as there's no way for her to cheat, if she wants to do this and she can pass, more power to her. It seems like she wants to help out some people without the advantages in life she has had. I think she'll tire of it and won't pass, but if she wants to try, then go for it. If she gets some talented one on one training (but isn't cheating), so what?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter