Kids leaving line at very end

juxtapose

Mouseketeer
My son has a lot of anxiety and desperately wants to try new rides but he frequently freaks out right as we’re getting on the ride car (or in the pre-show) and bails. Before I didn’t care because we weren’t paying extra for any rides or could just book another FP for me so I could ride it later. Now that you only get 1 Genie+ per ride or pay (thinking FOP), is there an option for my son and I to wait at the loading area, and I could ride once my husband and daughter get off when this happens? He’ll be 8 on our next trip and definitely not mature enough to leave alone while we ride.

You can use rider swap but I believe this needs to be decided before anyone enters the queue. Hopefully someone else will share if their experience was different.
We have done that for “intense” rides. But things like Slinky, Soarin’, and FOP he’s very convinced he wants to ride until he gets to the actual ride and then freaks. Sometimes the pre-show or line queue itself makes him nervous and he changes his mind.

We’ve had to have them release the restraints on both Slinky and Soarin in the past to let him out he changes his mind so late, he’s full on yelling to get out so it’s not a quiet change of mind. It might be something we just have to eat the money lost but it’d be awesome if there was a way around that.

From personal experience I can tell you that this would be ok at SM (at least last time I was there in 2022). You can all go in together and if it doesn’t work you walk from the loading area down a level to the unloading area and wait for your party and when they’re done you walk back up to the loading area and ride without having to go back all the way through the queue again.

I'm guessing if you explained the situation to the CM at the touch point, they would either load you MB like rider switch or just tell you how you could do a rider switch last minute.

I've left more rides than I care to admit over the years. Our kids would either chicken out or would have to use the restroom!!! We look back and laugh about it now. The only ride we made then get on was CoP. I would plan on rider switch and not stress over it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter