Kids In Signature Dining Restaurants.

CourtneyKaro

Earning My Ears
Hi Guys!
I love that you attempted to tackle this topic but I also feel that it really was just reiterating what most of us know to be common sense. I would love to see you discuss a bit or do a review of Signature Restaurants from the point of view of families, for example: best kids menus, best environment for various ages, which restaurants CMs seems to “get it” when it comes to kids and dining, I think it would be an awesome area to explore further. Or another point to the discussion Should maybe all signatures (or some? Which?) switch to 10&up after say 9p to accommodate those who want a quieter/more adult dining experience?

Thanks for bringing this up and might be a good follow-up episode or just something to cover here where people can share their thoughts.

Obviously, other than at V&A, kids are welcome to all restaurants at Disney - but I do think there are some where people (parents and kids) might feel more comfortable and maybe others where adults looking for a bit more quiet/adult time/"date night" might have more luck

Some that we have found to be a bit more kid friendly are:
- California Grill: The space is pretty open and loud to begin with so likely won't hear your kids noise cutting the silence or anything. Also the menu with flatbreads and sushi and just more "sharables" I think lends itself to kids more than others. I do think going a bit early and maybe timing it so your meal is ending around fireworks time is best with kids, whereas for adults only try timing it so your meal is starting around fireworks (or even after, and have the pre-dinner drink in the lounge and then watch the fireworks). I've found families with kids seem to really clear our after fireworks and is a much more "adults" experience then.
- Morimoto Asia: We loved the kids meals there and they give the kids these cool utensils that are chopsticks on one end and a fork on the other end. The kids meals also come with origami sheets of paper and instructions to also give the kids something to do (and parents do with them to help). We had a great server there who noticed my youngest was really interested in the boba balls that one of the drinks came with so he brought out a cup full of boba balls and that kept her busy for quite some time!

I think it would be tough to start having rules about certain times are adults only - but maybe in some restaurants that have more segmented spaces they could (either formally or informally) seat adult only parties in some areas and those with kids in other areas

One thing I wanted to mention in regards to something Pete said. It is extremely common today for parents to give their kid a phone or tablet to entertain them. That's fine. I've got no problem with that if it helps keep the kid calm and settled. HOWEVER, please use headphones. I've been so many places where the kid is perfectly happy except they're watching some video with the volume cranked up. The whole restaurant doesn't need/want to hear whatever show the little one is watching.

It all comes down to being considerate of those around you. As Pete also said, you're not the only person in the world. Too many people seem to forget that, and not just at Disney and not just in restaurants.

aren't we talking about DISNEY world. In short no you never be afraid to send your kids to table service. I have seen kids in
degustation ventures in my home town, i have seen them in high end ventures in south bank brisbane. How else is a kid supposed to appreciate table service if not given to it young.

Only once, that I can think of, has a dinner ever been affected by someone’s child. It was a few years ago at Citrico’s and while the mother was doing a good job with the baby, the father could have cared less what the 5-yo did. We purposely chose a late reservation but I suppose it was just bad luck -too bad it was a $150-200 dinner. The best was when one of the waiters had to return the kid to his table after wandering into the kitchen area.

Only once, that I can think of, has a dinner ever been affected by someone’s child. It was a few years ago at Citrico’s and while the mother was doing a good job with the baby, the father could have cared less what the 5-yo did. We purposely chose a late reservation but I suppose it was just bad luck -too bad it was a $150-200 dinner. The best was when one of the waiters had to return the kid to his table after wandering into the kitchen area.
:sad2:

what most of us know to be common sense.
This is putting a huge assumption that everyone possesses common sense. There are many people in this world who are selfish, self centered and who simple have no regard for others -- those are the ones who will bring their tired, cranky child to a restaurant despite how the child will act. There is nothing worse than a crying child or one who is miss behaving at a restaurant. It is usually not the child's fault either but more the parents who decided to plan a TS meal at a time when their child should be napping or already in bed for the night.

It takes being a responsible parent, knowing how your child is and what triggers the melt downs that they have. Typically if a child is hungry and/or tired it ends badly.

Probably the best thing a parent can do while at WDW is to try and keep those younger children on a similar schedule as they are at home. This relates to naps, snacks and meals. WDW is already over stimulating for these little ones and if you try to deviate too much from the schedule they are accustom too it often results in a melt down.

We have a Cali grill reservation for our upcoming November trip. It will be with our 5 yo DD. We picked a time (6:15) where she will be hungry (not starved) and not exhausted. Of course we would have loved to have dinner near fireworks time BUT i know that it would have been too late and likely would not do well at a long TS meal.

Thankfully all 3 of my kids (my DD and twin boys) have typically behaved well in restaurants because we have those necessary busy items to keep them occupied and quiet and we have planned out our day to ensure they are in the best mood possible to handle sitting at a restaurant for a couple hours. We have had so many random people come up to us to tell us how impressed they were with how well my kids behaved in a restaurant. It really means a lot when those comments come from complete strangers. So if you see it -- make that complement to those parents because it is usually not an easy feat.

@kniquy - AMEN! VERY well stated!! All I was thinking, but could not verbalize properly! :worship:

And I usually do try to compliment the child, in front of the parents, for any good behavior I notice - at meals, or holding the door open for me with a cane, etc. It all helps, I'm sure! Makes child, and parents, feel good - positive reenforcement is a powerful tool! :)

I agree not everyone possesses common sense. But those who care enough to research enough to find the podcast video likely already possess enough common sense to know the things discussed in it. Thebones who don’t possess some common sense in regards to this also aren’t doing any research about it. At least that is my thinking.

I feel that if the signature restaurant is in one of theme parks, then all bets off.

I’m on the fence about the other signature restaurants that are in the resorts. The suggestions of “over 10 after 9pm” is interesting.

My own experience, when my daughter was younger (under 10), I never considered taking her to someplace like Jiko or California Grill - so we booked the kids clubs. She had an awesome time, and we were also able to relax. In fact, she looked forward to the kids club each year and and was bummed when she was too old to go. Ha!

The whole restaurant doesn't need/want to hear whatever show the little one is watching.

It all comes down to being considerate of those around you. As Pete also said, you're not the only person in the world. Too many people seem to forget that, and not just at Disney and not just in restaurants.

The same can be said for adults in the stalls of public restrooms. :)

If the parents are willing to ensure the child behaves well, then no problem with them being in a signature restaurant. My son is a foodie and loves eating out, so he's been in the signature restaurants since he was 4. Never a problem to other diners and we've received compliments on his behaviour.

Only time we ever had trouble with another child at Disney World was at a dinner at the Brown Derby several years ago. The mom and another woman sat and chatted well after they had eaten their meal while the boy, who was about 5, ran around the restaurant yelling and screaming and using a butter knife to pretend to sword fight with whoever was nearby. He was right at our table stabbing the knife at my mom and husband. The server came by to ask the mom to please get their son back to their table, and she and the other woman with her acted offended and annoyed to have been asked to control their little darling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter