Kids assigned to stateroom different than parent/custodian

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
I am sailing on 2/21 out of NOLA in two connecting staterooms. My party is myself, my MIL, my adult (18) son, his GF (17) and my younger son (10). For reasons too complicated to explain, the current breakdown of the staterooms is: Stateroom #1 = me and my older son; Stateroom #2 = my MIL, the GF and my younger son.

The GF had the signed minor travel authorization form (which I still cannot believe doesn't have to be notarized), granting me care, custody and control of her for the cruise. I am the one given authorization, but she and I are not in the same stateroom.

Will this be a problem when checking in and/or when getting on/off the ship at port? Will DCL have a problem with me having the authorization but not being in the same stateroom as the GF? Who's KTTW card will be used to scan her off/on the ship at port - mine or my MIL's?

I am wondering if I need to have the GF's parents send a new authorization form listing my MIL instead of myself as custodian. Or, alternately, if I need to assign the GF ("on paper') to my stateroom.

Same issue with my younger son - do I need to fill out a authorization form myself since he's assigned to my MIL's stateroom and not mine?

Please and thanks.

DCL will not question your legal obligations based on your stateroom. The form makes no mention of it.

They care only about who’s assigned in which room for the purposes of going ashore. For that, an adult staying in a stateroom with a minor will have to fill a Debarkation Authorization for minors form to allow an adult staying in another stateroom to bring that minor ashore, whatever the relation between the adults and the minor.

In your situation, your MIL will need to grant you that right regarding your younger son and the GF. The same form can be used to allow the GF to get ashore unaccompanied if you so wish.

Here’s a link to that form :
https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...orms/DebarkationAuthorizationForm_2017_en.pdf

DCL will not question your legal obligations based on your stateroom. The form makes no mention of it.

They care only about who’s assigned in which room for the purposes of going ashore. For that, an adult staying in a stateroom with a minor will have to fill a Debarkation Authorization for minors form to allow an adult staying in another stateroom to bring that minor ashore, whatever the relation between the adults and the minor.

In your situation, your MIL will need to grant you that right regarding your younger son and the GF. The same form can be used to allow the GF to get ashore unaccompanied if you so wish.

Here’s a link to that form :
https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...orms/DebarkationAuthorizationForm_2017_en.pdf

Thanks. Wondering if it's just easier to ask my TA to move my younger son to my stateroom instead.

Thanks. Wondering if it's just easier to ask my TA to move my younger son to my stateroom instead.
Any such change incurs a risk of messing up the reservations. The Debarkation Authorization form is easily completed and handled quickly at Guests services. It takes about two minutes for them to manage everything. Plenty of guests use it every cruise.

Any such change incurs a risk of messing up the reservations. The Debarkation Authorization form is easily completed and handled quickly at Guests services. It takes about two minutes for them to manage everything. Plenty of guests use it every cruise.
Also, be aware that usually DCL won’t just “move” a person. When I tried to do this after realizing the DCL phone agent mistakenly booked our TBD infant in my parents’ room, DCL told me that “moving” her would involve canceling her from my parents’ room and adding her to my room. That would be at the prevailing rate - way more expensive than when originally booking her. It was far simpler to just fill out the authorization form to go ashore as PP said. Now if only my parents would have actually kept her in their room and gotten up in the middle of the night with her. 😉

Enjoy your cruise!

Separate from all this, be sure to check the requirements of any country outside the US that you’re going to. (For example, I know Canada has strict requirements for minors traveling without their parents.)

And I would look online for a temporary guardianship document that gives permission to travel (state the specific dates and places) as well as authority to make medical decisions. I would have it name you as temporary guardian and your MIL as backup.

Might sound like overkill and it’s likely you won’t need it but I wouldn’t want to risk a delay in trip or medical care. I’m suggesting this not so much because Disney would want it but more for others like immigration/border folks or on land hospitals, etc.

Separate from all this, be sure to check the requirements of any country outside the US that you’re going to. (For example, I know Canada has strict requirements for minors traveling without their parents.)

And I would look online for a temporary guardianship document that gives permission to travel (state the specific dates and places) as well as authority to make medical decisions. I would have it name you as temporary guardian and your MIL as backup.

Might sound like overkill and it’s likely you won’t need it but I wouldn’t want to risk a delay in trip or medical care. I’m suggesting this not so much because Disney would want it but more for others like immigration/border folks or on land hospitals, etc.

Thanks. All squared away in that regard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter