3 small toys
1 water bottle
(etc)

Their suitcase packing list will include:
2 pairs summer pajamas
8 pairs underpants
2 bathing suits
(etc)

They are then given a laundry basket to put everything in.

We then go through the packing list, making sure that everything is there, and that they haven't brought (much) that isn't on the list.

I may then afterwards adjust on my own, if needed.

I like this because it gives them the structure to successfully pack themselves.
The idea is that as they get a little older, they can then make their own packing list, I will check that, and then they will pack themselves.

(My oldest is 9, so we aren't there yet.)

We drive 8 hours, so I have to allow mine to bring several things to do on the road. However, they always bring too much and it makes me batty! I love this idea of giving them a list! It will give them some ownership, but keep things reasonable. Borrowing this tip for when we leave Friday!:yay:

You could also encourage them to pack lighter by telling them that any souvenirs from the trip must fit in their backpacks.

I pack my daughter's clothes in a large suitcase. Instead of a backpack, she has a small wheeled suitcase (the dimensions are considered a personal item and not a carry on for the plane). It fits under the seat in front of us on every airline we've been on. She packs whatever she wants in it because it has wheels and doesn't have to be carried. She usually leaves some space in it because I usually sneak in a few surprises (which she loves!) On our last trip, she packed some parts of the suitcase so densely, the x-rays couldn't see through it and they had to do a pretty thorough search of her bag. It was quite funny. The lady searching it couldn't believe how much she had packed in some of it!

First time cruise here. Aspiring packer :)
For the kids, I usually pack everything in their Speedo swim backpacks, but my mom wants to get them smaller daypacks for the trip. Do they need something to carry around the ship? Is it a pain to head down to the pool and not go back again for dry clothes? Do most kids throw something on over their suit and go to Kids Club that way? Thanks!

Can’t remember what thread it was on, maybe funniest cruise storyever, but one Dis poster told the story of her boys secretly unpacking the suitcases and replacing many clothes with toys., including all their underwear. She didn’t discover it until after sailaway. The stores were not well stocked with basics, especially boys underpants. They had to spend the entire cruise in princess panties!!! Lol

I shared that story with my son whenever he tries to bring too many toys or plushies, and he says no princess panties for him!

For the kids, I usually pack everything in their Speedo swim backpacks, but my mom wants to get them smaller daypacks for the trip. Do they need something to carry around the ship? Is it a pain to head down to the pool and not go back again for dry clothes? Do most kids throw something on over their suit and go to Kids Club that way? Thanks![/QUOTE

My dd usually goes to the club in the morning after breakfast for an hour or so and then again after dinner, she doesn't care for the shows. We change into swimsuits before or after lunch and then go to the pool/slides and we stay there until it's time to get ready for dinner. We'll eat lunch by the pool from one of the places around it. Don't really recall seeing kids with swimsuit and cover-ups on in the clubs. My dd doesn't carry anything with her around the ship, if she needs something we just go get it from the cabin. I guess it depends on the ages of your kids, my dd would forget where she put a bag if she took one with her. They don't have cubbies or anything in the clubs for the kids to put stuff in. I don't find it that difficult to go back to our cabin for something/to change clothes. I was on crutches on our last cruise on the Fantasy and was still able to get around pretty easy. The ship won't seem that big after a day or two.

Can’t remember what thread it was on, maybe funniest cruise storyever, but one Dis poster told the story of her boys secretly unpacking the suitcases and replacing many clothes with toys., including all their underwear. She didn’t discover it until after sailaway. The stores were not well stocked with basics, especially boys underpants. They had to spend the entire cruise in princess panties!!! Lol

:rotfl:That'll teach them!

For the kids, I usually pack everything in their Speedo swim backpacks, but my mom wants to get them smaller daypacks for the trip. Do they need something to carry around the ship? Is it a pain to head down to the pool and not go back again for dry clothes? Do most kids throw something on over their suit and go to Kids Club that way? Thanks!

We didn't find it a pain to go back to the cabin to change. It takes a few minutes at most. I don't recall seeing any kids in the club with swimsuits, but then I wasn't really looking either.

I give each child a packing list.

Their backpack list will say things like:
2 books
1 small stuffed animal
3 small toys
1 water bottle
(etc)

Their suitcase packing list will include:
2 pairs summer pajamas
8 pairs underpants
2 bathing suits
(etc)

They are then given a laundry basket to put everything in.

We then go through the packing list, making sure that everything is there, and that they haven't brought (much) that isn't on the list.

I may then afterwards adjust on my own, if needed.

I like this because it gives them the structure to successfully pack themselves.
The idea is that as they get a little older, they can then make their own packing list, I will check that, and then they will pack themselves.

(My oldest is 9, so we aren't there yet.)

OP here - the packing list idea ended up working really well for DD. I wrote up a list and included "small toys in a small bag" and gave her a quart size ziplock. DD, being the sassy girl that she is, added onto the list "BIG toys in a BIG box". :laughing: But she only put a few small toys in the bag and hardly filled it at all. She had fun gathering the things from the list and checking them off. She didn't even play with those small toys, which still bugs me. Seems I have some packing control issues I need to work on....

DS did a good job packing too. Guess all my nagging on previous trips about not using the stuff he brought and needing room for souvenirs finally sunk in. :)

Since this is their backpacks I think you're talking about, and they are the ones carrying them, why limit it?

I limit it to things he doesn't mind losing (no Legos on the plane or a cruise because those modes of transportation move and things can get lost) and I like him to be logical, not still.

I limit it because invariably DH or I end up carting said backpack thru the airport or wherever. Though that is improving as DS (6) gets a bit older.

For our recent cruise, which included flights from Canada and 2 nights in FL beforehand visiting family, he brought his backpack with his iPad and headphones, colored pencils, coloring book, 5 hot wheels, one stuffed animal, some little interlocking block things in a tube, and magnetic hangman. Mostly these were items we encouraged him to bring because we bring a small toy (not iPad) to dinner every night.

Do they need something to carry around the ship? Is it a pain to head down to the pool and not go back again for dry clothes? Do most kids throw something on over their suit and go to Kids Club that way?

I don’t think i’ve ever seen a kid at the Club/Lab in an obvious swimsuit. Maybe I just didn’t notice. But anything they carry with them, must be carried with them in the Club/Lab. There are no cubbies or hooks to hang a bag/towel/sweatshirt. It’s easy to stop by the room and change.

Enjoy your cruise!

This is a struggle too here in our house, I pack their essentials and give them a junior landsend backpack to pack and they usually make it so heavy but I force them to carry it. It drives me nuts when all that crap is in the stateroom... I have to give my DD two drawers just to store her crap.... ahh the memories

My daughter gets a wheeled carry-on and her backpack. She has to fit her clothes in first and whatever room she has leftover, she can take what she wants. (Within reason, the Wii U might fit but it's not going lol)

Mine each get a backpack in which they pack ipads (preloaded with new books/movies), charger, headphones, 1 stuffed animal and snacks for the plane. They know any souvenirs they get have to come home in the backpack so they keep it light! I pack all clothes for them as they're boys and don't care. I do different colored packing cubes for each member of the family.

Anyone have a Nintendo Switch and is it any good to take for the trip or is there a risk of losing stuff if you do?

The games are small (memory card sized). Think that's the only thing I would worry about getting lost.
Hmmm... We are currently on the hunt for a missing DS game that's in some toy box somewhere in the house. But maybe if he only takes one or two games with him, it'll be okay.

Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter