Kidani or Jambo savannah 2 bed with teens?

amystevekai&bump

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Im in the process of booking a savannah two bed room for next year and I wanted your opinion on whether to choose Jambo house or kidani.

We stayed in Kidani years ago in a savannah 2 bed, but to be honest I don’t really remember it & my children were much younger, and so I know the water play area was a big draw back then, but this time I will be travelling with two 17 year olds and a 14 year old.

We’ve stayed at Jambo numerous times, because I generally book either value or standard rooms, and I like getting the pool view when I book at standard room there, but this time we will be bringing our sons girlfriend and I know she’s like a savannah room!

I was just wondering if you could recommend your preference of kidani or Jambo for savannah view 2 beds, but also have you found one resort better than the other when travelling with teens?

many thanks for any advice 👍

My impression is that my teens would like Jambo more because there are more resort amenities close at hand. YMMV

In addition to the 3rd bathroom in all the 2 BR and the 2 queen beds in a dedicated 2 BR at Kidani, there's also the possibility of getting a lower floor, therefore better animal watching from your balcony. All the DVC villas at Jambo are on the 5th or 6th floors, not necessarily the best view for the cost ($ or points) of a savanna view.

Currently it is pointless to go to Jambo because restaurants, pool, and most services are closed. Assuming there is a a return to normalcy by the time you go, then:

As to the rooms themselves: the Kidani 2BRs are significantly better than Jambo's. Kidani's are about 100 sq ft larger, have a third bathroom, more closet space, and a much better master bathroom (with a separate tub and shower while Jambo has the combined tub and shower) Also, you can reserve a dedicated 2BR at Kidani which has two queens in the second bedroom, rather than a queen and a pull-out couch, and has one long balcony across the bedrooms and living room, while at Jambo all are lock-offs and thus there is a wall on the balcony between the studio and 1BR.

As to parking if you have a car: Kidani wins there too. It has a first floor, under-building parking lot that runs almost throughout the entire building, and with three elevators along each of the two wings, you can always park fairly close to your room. Jambo has a large lot across the road from the front of the building and distance to building and room can be not real bad to absolutely awful depending on where you can find a parking space and where your room is.

Restaurants: Jambo wins with three -- Jiko, an excellent but expensive (even by Disney standards) table service, Boma, an outstanding buffet restaurant, and Mara, a very good quick service restaurant that has lots of seating both inside and outside (in the shade near the entry to the pool area). Kidani has one very good table service restaurant, Sanaa. Jambo also has a impressive bar/drink area where the tables are up on a slanted seating area that rises from one floor to another, while Kidani's bar is just part of Sanaa, near its entrance. You can, of course, travel between Kidani and Jambo and a bus runs all day, front door to front door, for doing so about every 15 minutes.

Lobby and store: Jambo wins with the much larger and more impressive lobby and much larger store, The Kidani lobby is very impressive in itself by not quite in the same league as Jambo's. Also, for an event that has a band, such as New Year's Eve, such will occur only in the Jambo lobby.

Pools: The Jambo pool area and pool is larger than Kidani and one of the best, including in the ability to find shade which at Kidani can often be difficult, but its slide is not long, while Kidani has a long slide. Kidani also has the excellent water-play area for kids, but generally it is best for those 12 and under, and thus likely not a factor in your decision. The food/bar places, Uzima Springs at Jambo and Maji at Kidani, are comparable, but Maji has an area outside but under its roof for tables which is very good for sitting to have a snack or drink (while also watching kids in the water-play area), while Jambo has some tables with umbrellas nearby that are are usually much harder to get than the tables at Maji.

Daily events: both have comparable daily events for kids and others at the pools and lobby and animal viewing areas.

Buses: the bus area at Jambo is a little further from the lobby entrance than Kidani but not any big difference. Kidani has an advantage for getting a seat with park buses because they stop at Kidani first, although at least for MK separate buses often run from either building in the early morning rush times.

Community Hall: a good one at Kidani, Jambo does not have one.

Location of rooms: this is where the differences can be huge. At the u-shaped Jambo building, the distance from lobby to end rooms on the two wings can be very long, longer than anything at Boardwalk, which many consider to be extremely long. However, Kidani makes those distances look like an easy walk in the park. The lobby of the Kidani building faces west. The bus station is on the south wing, while the pool and the Pembe savanna are on the north wing. If you start a walk in the wide hallway at the end of the south wing (closest to Jambo) and walk to and through the lobby area to the end of the north wing, you will cover a distance of about 2/3 of a mile, making Kidani one of the longest single hotel buildings in the world. Those stuck in those end rooms at Kidani, who also have a car, often will drive the car to the lobby when they need to go there.

Savanna view location requests. The better savannas at AKV are Arusha, in the middle of the Jambo building, and Sunset, the largest savanna serving both Jambo and Kidani. Pembe is somewhat mediocre, lacking giraffes and zebras. If you have a savanna view room at Jambo, I would recommend requesting view of Arusha with a room along Zebra Trail (right side of the building). That should provide good views, puts you on the pool and restaurant side of the building, and provides a room that faces west so you avoid blinding sun come into the room in the morning, have some shade on the balcony until later in the afternoon, and see pleasant sunsets in the evening. Since all DVC rooms at Jambo are on the fifth floor, except for the club level rooms on the sixth floor directly above the lobby, it is pointless to request a floor level. Also, one should consider avoiding requesting close to lobby or close to transportation because savanna view rooms meeting either of those requests do not provide the better views. At Kidani, the main objective with savanna view is to get Sunset savanna (which should be requested and is a request highly likely to be met because that includes more than 80% of all savanna view rooms at Kidani).The second objective is to avoid long walks to pool, lobby and buses. A most common request is close to lobby. The problem with it is that it is the most common request, with the result that many do not get it and end up far from lobby. Two with which I have had success in the past are "close to the Rafiki elevator" which is on the north wing and provides shortest possible trip to a gate to the pool and puts lobby and bus station within reasonable striking distance, and "close to the Timon elevator" (on the south wing and provides short trip to bus station and puts lobby and pool within reasonable striking distance).

Standard View location requests. You mention the possibility of getting standard view. Be aware that at Jambo that about 50% of the standard view rooms have pool view and the other 50% have savanna view. So you can actually get a savanna view room. Those are considered not as good as regular savanna view rooms but many of them are almost as good as any savanna view room. Do not request a standard view room that has savanna view because MS will usually tell you no such thing exists. Instead make a specific location request, such as a room along Kudo trail, the left side of the building, because all standards on that side have savanna view (of Sunset). At Kidani most standard views face road, some parking areas, the back of the bus station, front entrance area, and the pool area. If you want the pool area, make that near Rafiki elevator request; if you want close to the bus station request near the Timon elevator. If you actually want to try for savanna view, then the request to make is for a room near the Pumba elevator, which would give you a standard view room overlooking Pembe savanna. However, your room will be far from lobby and bus station.

With any room location requests at Kidani, you can request lower or higher floor. All rooms are on floors 2 through 5. Some like lower floors for more direct sighting of animals. Personally, floor level does not matter to me because higher floor has the counter-advantage of providing a more panoramic view. Moreover. order of requests is important and one should not make requests for Sunset savanna view or areas closer to pool or bus second or third in line after a lower floor request.

Last edited:

All the two bedrooms at Jambo are lockoffs. The second bedroom will not have two real beds (like a KV dedicated two bedroom). It will be one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa. Plus there is no separate Master bath shower for the parents, just the combo tub/shower. The bathroom at Jambo is not in the master bedroom, but adjacent to it.

For me, it would definitely depend on whether or not Jambo Is open. If it’s still close when you want to go, Kodani would definitely be the way to go with the extra bathroom and the open amenities there. Otherwise, I think if Jambo is open, having a quick service there will be very convenient for your family.

Deb

Currently it is pointless to go to Jambo because restaurants, pool, and most services are closed. Assuming there is a a return to normalcy by the time you go, then:

As to the rooms themselves: the Kidani 2BRs are significantly better than Jambo's. Kidani's are about 100 sq ft larger, have a third bathroom, more closet space, and a much better master bathroom (with a separate tub and shower while Jambo has the combined tub and shower) Also, you can reserve a dedicated 2BR at Kidani which has two queens in the second bedroom, rather than a queen and a pull-out couch, and has one long balcony across the bedrooms and living room, while at Jambo all are lock-offs and thus there is a wall on the balcony between the studio and 1BR.

As to parking if you have a car: Kidani wins there too. It has a first floor, under-building parking lot that runs almost throughout the entire building, and with three elevators along each of the two wings, you can always park fairly close to your room. Jambo has a large lot across the road from the front of the building and distance to building and room can be not real bad to absolutely awful depending on where you can find a parking space and where your room is.

Restaurants: Jambo wins with three -- Jiko, an excellent but expensive (even by Disney standards) table service, Boma, an outstanding buffet restaurant, and Mara, a very good quick service restaurant that has lots of seating both inside and outside (in the shade near the entry to the pool area). Kidani has one very good table service restaurant, Sanaa. Jambo also has a impressive bar/drink area where the tables are up on a slanted seating area that rises from one floor to another, while Kidani's bar is just part of Sanaa, near its entrance. You can, of course, travel between Kidani and Jambo and a bus runs all day, front door to front door, for doing so about every 15 minutes.

Lobby and store: Jambo wins with the much larger and more impressive lobby and much larger store, The Kidani lobby is very impressive in itself by not quite in the same league as Jambo's. Also, for an event that has a band, such as New Year's Eve, such will occur only in the Jambo lobby.

Pools: The Jambo pool area and pool is larger than Kidani and one of the best, including in the ability to find shade which at Kidani can often be difficult, but its slide is not long, while Kidani has a long slide. Kidani also has the excellent water-play area for kids, but generally it is best for those 12 and under, and thus likely not a factor in your decision. The food/bar places, Uzima Springs at Jambo and Maji at Kidani, are comparable, but Maji has an area outside but under its roof for tables which is very good for sitting to have a snack or drink (while also watching kids in the water-play area), while Jambo has some tables with umbrellas nearby that are are usually much harder to get than the tables at Maji.

Daily events: both have comparable daily events for kids and others at the pools and lobby and animal viewing areas.

Buses: the bus area at Jambo is a little further from the lobby entrance than Kidani but not any big difference. Kidani has an advantage for getting a seat with park buses because they stop at Kidani first, although at least for MK separate buses often run from either building in the early morning rush times.

Community Hall: a good one at Kidani, Jambo does not have one.

Location of rooms: this is where the differences can be huge. At the u-shaped Jambo building, the distance from lobby to end rooms on the two wings can be very long, longer than anything at Boardwalk, which many consider to be extremely long. However, Kidani makes those distances look like an easy walk in the park. The lobby of the Kidani building faces west. The bus station is on the south wing, while the pool and the Pembe savanna are on the north wing. If you start a walk in the wide hallway at the end of the south wing (closest to Jambo) and walk to and through the lobby area to the end of the north wing, you will cover a distance of about 2/3 of a mile, making Kidani one of the longest single hotel buildings in the world. Those stuck in those end rooms at Kidani, who also have a car, often will drive the car to the lobby when they need to go there.

Savanna view location requests. The better savannas at AKV are Arusha, in the middle of the Jambo building, and Sunset, the largest savanna serving both Jambo and Kidani. Pembe is somewhat mediocre, lacking giraffes and zebras. If you have a savanna view room at Jambo, I would recommend requesting view of Arusha with a room along Zebra Trail (right side of the building). That should provide good views, puts you on the pool and restaurant side of the building, and provides a room that faces west so you avoid blinding sun come into the room in the morning, have some shade on the balcony until later in the afternoon, and see pleasant sunsets in the evening. Since all DVC rooms at Jambo are on the fifth floor, except for the club level rooms on the sixth floor directly above the lobby, it is pointless to request a floor level. Also, one should consider avoiding requesting close to lobby or close to transportation because savanna view rooms meeting either of those requests do not provide the better views. At Kidani, the main objective with savanna view is to get Sunset savanna (which should be requested and is a request highly likely to be met because that includes more than 80% of all savanna view rooms at Kidani).The second objective is to avoid long walks to pool, lobby and buses. A most common request is close to lobby. The problem with it is that it is the most common request, with the result that many do not get it and end up far from lobby. Two with which I have had success in the past are "close to the Rafiki elevator" which is on the north wing and provides shortest possible trip to a gate to the pool and puts lobby and bus station within reasonable striking distance, and "close to the Timon elevator" (on the south wing and provides short trip to bus station and puts lobby and pool within reasonable striking distance).

Standard View location requests. You mention the possibility of getting standard view. Be aware that at Jambo that about 50% of the standard view rooms have pool view and the other 50% have savanna view. So you can actually get a savanna view room. Those are considered not as good as regular savanna view rooms but many of them are almost as good as any savanna view room. Do not request a standard view room that has savanna view because MS will usually tell you no such thing exists. Instead make a specific location request, such as a room along Kudo trail, the left side of the building, because all standards on that side have savanna view (of Sunset). At Kidani most standard views face road, some parking areas, the back of the bus station, front entrance area, and the pool area. If you want the pool area, make that near Rafiki elevator request; if you want close to the bus station request near the Timon elevator. If you actually want to try for savanna view, then the request to make is for a room near the Pumba elevator, which would give you a standard view room overlooking Pembe savanna. However, your room will be far from lobby and bus station.

With any room location requests at Kidani, you can request lower or higher floor. All rooms are on floors 2 through 5. Some like lower floors for more direct sighting of animals. Personally, floor level does not matter to me because higher floor has the counter-advantage of providing a more panoramic view. Moreover. order of requests is important and one should not make requests for Sunset savanna view or areas closer to pool or bus second or third in line after a lower floor request.
Thank you everyone for your replies, but Wow! drusba, thank you so much for such a comprehensive response, I really appreciate the time you’ve taken to respond! I will keep hold of this, it’s very helpful, thank you 👍

If it makes any difference I had this same dilemma earlier today and went with Kidani. My teens (& friends) can travel to Jambo if they want QS or that pool. The appeal for Kidani for me was the dedicated 2BR and extra bathroom. I‘m probably going to do a Walmart delivery order for snacks/breakfasts. I’m really hopeful that by the time we go (end of June 21) things will be a little less hectic than they are now.

Where at Kidani are the two bedroom lockoffs?

Other than GVs, all Kidani rooms are either 2BR lock-offs or dedicated 2BRs and all are together throughout the building, e.g., walk down a hallway and you will pass a dedicated, then a lock-off, then a dedicated, then a lock-off etc. The lock-offs have the advantage of being able to separate rooms and having the extra mini-kitchen in the studio, The dedicated have the advantage of two actual queen beds in the 2d bedroom, and one long balcony across all rooms (lock-off has a wall on the balcony between the studio and 1BR).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter