Kidani Medicare trip

Great photos - I'm glad to see they still have the paddleboat at the end of Fantasmic. We didn't get to go see that show on our last trip, but I had heard that it might be gone. Maybe it was just out for repairs or something.

Enjoy your Trek!

I'm loving your trip report..... keep it coming! :yay:

We too loved Kidani when we stayed there in January..... and even though we own a BWV, I can see us staying there again. popcorn::

Wild Trek! *The weather was very cloudy, which turned out to be a great thing because it is more humid today. Also the animals seemed pretty active.
I checked in near Dawa Bar at AK and signed waivers. I was taken to a special area to stow my purse in a free locker and to get weighed and outfitted.*
3e454124.jpg

85808e55.jpg

eee18fe6.jpg

df63e851.jpg

The scale has no numbers and even I did not know what it said, but it helps the guide fit you with the correct gear.*
We were provided with sunscreen, bug repellent, POG to drink and a stainless steel water bottle (ours to keep).*
f985eb2e.jpg

f41bbae9.jpg

fb2c7700.jpg

We practiced walking on a small rope bridge, just to get the idea what a larger, higher version would be like. The planks were spaced far enough apart that I am not surprised by the age restriction.*
8387da7d.jpg

Our guides, Mandy and Paul, took us on the first part of the Pangani Trail before proceeding to the "Trek" areas.*
6fa2bf82.jpg

ff8b0ffd.jpg

Our vests had carabiners to attach to straps on ground mounted posts so that we could lean over without fear of falling.*
082b1c3d.jpg

f2425da9.jpg

I took lots of photos of feeding the hippo. Here is one of them.*
68e56624.jpg

Mandy showed us a hippo skull.*
27e481ad.jpg

The next few shots are of the rope bridge experience. It was actually 2 separate bridges.*
572a1f98.jpg

e659eec4.jpg

9a64ed65.jpg

01b46680.jpg

97257aa4.jpg

Here is what awaited us below:
fd197984.jpg

7925bdf6.jpg

The next part of the tour was in a vehicle which stopped for photos and education.*
753b7f58.jpg

About 2 hours into the 3 hour tour we stopped for lunch and a bathroom break. The lunch was very filling, the bathroom was modern (woohoo) and the photo ops were great.*
b9a0bce6.jpg

6b8c87ef.jpg

bb975703.jpg

180132b9.jpg

We were given frosty towels to cool off (and keep) and there were binoculars for us to use.
b0b48ffb.jpg

be6d9dfd.jpg

I took so many photos of animals. Here are a few, in no particular order:
f77e7eea.jpg

77214b8b.jpg

ad43fecf.jpg

51012f0f.jpg

2badc6c5.jpg

dcc98b03.jpg

485ec6a0.jpg

f65b6082.jpg

a92803fa.jpg

51502986.jpg

c3c32fd4.jpg

bbcab225.jpg

At the end of the tour we were given souvenir pins. Guides do not accept tips. This was my best Disney tour yet! *Thanks to you DISers who recommended it.*

I am really enjoying your TR. The wild trek looks great! I can't wait until my son (6yo) is old enough to do some of those exciting tours. Thanks for the pics of the Kidani studio. We are staying in a Kidani studio for the first time in December. I'm glad that you are getting a chance to experience our "home". We really love the quiet Kidani lobby and serene views of the savanna.

I had planned to spend some time at Epcot this evening and then watch Illuminations. But it started to rain and the rain stayed around so I decided that it was a good night to try out Sanaa and get to bed earlier than the last 2 nights. I have an early Segway tour in the morning.
Below are pictures of my dinner--a salad sampler and a lamb/ beef short rib combo. It was way too much food, even though I am a big eater. *I guess I thought that each item would be a smaller amount, since they were combos. Everything was just delicious. I like Sanaa so much better than the majority of Disney carbon copy restaurants. *
dd4044d2.jpg

e364e013.jpg

I am also posting a few photos of the many, many beautiful artifacts, the lobby and Sanaa. AKV owners can be so proud of this gorgeous resort.
a68e4e59.jpg

1beee7ef.jpg

3bbf5669.jpg

2878efe4.jpg

dd76095d.jpg

0f521c4b.jpg

54c85003.jpg

I called tech support twice today but am still getting lousy wifi. Sometimes I can upload photos in the lobby but it is hopeless in my room. Sometimes i cannot even get a connection. *I guess I will just have to use cell coverage on my iPad, but boy does this LTE service eat up the data FAST!

Sent from my iPad

Jean, are you on the right side of the lobby or the left side as you are facing the Sunset savanna? Some of you pictures indicate you might be in an area similar to where we were in December. I recognize the giraffe feeding station and the ankole cattle. We had great wifi in December though. No issues at all.

I have to agree with you about Sanaa. It's our favorite restaurant in all of Disney. Now let's hope they don't make them standardize the fare there like they did at some of the other signatures.

Have you had a chance to see any of the cultural exchange talks in the library yet? I'm wondering if Elspeth is still there. We heard her first presentation in December and heard her again in March, and she had gotten so much better at it! I think she goes back to South Africa in June.

Also, I have to tell you I do NOT think I could do what you are doing. I have no desire to travel alone. I would never dine alone. Way to go girl!

Jean, are you on the right side of the lobby or the left side as you are facing the Sunset savanna? Some of you pictures indicate you might be in an area similar to where we were in December. I recognize the giraffe feeding station and the ankole cattle. We had great wifi in December though. No issues at all.

I have to agree with you about Sanaa. It's our favorite restaurant in all of Disney. Now let's hope they don't make them standardize the fare there like they did at some of the other signatures.

Have you had a chance to see any of the cultural exchange talks in the library yet? I'm wondering if Elspeth is still there. We heard her first presentation in December and heard her again in March, and she had gotten so much better at it! I think she goes back to South Africa in June.

Also, I have to tell you I do NOT think I could do what you are doing. I have no desire to travel alone. I would never dine alone. Way to go girl!

I am on the right side, the Timon elevator side. My room is the first one so close to lobby and my balcony is open on the lobby side for great animal viewing.
I listened to Heide talk about South Africa last night and learned a lot. Thanks for the tip about the drums. Boy are they loud!

I have been looking forward to a Segway tour for years. DH and I had one scheduled but had to cancel when his health became an issue. So I thought this solo trip was a perfect chance. I decided on the Fort Wilderness one rather than the Epcot one because the Segways have the big tires and I have never spent much time around FW. I drove to the check-in area and parked, then took an internal bus to the Meadows area. I signed waivers and watched a short video, then a safety instructor gave me my helmet and a verbal lesson in how to operate the Segway.*
90af120f.jpg

73a3ea93.jpg

b99dfabe.jpg

We were then led outside to the Segways in a practice area.
23a3216f.jpg

In case anyone is reading who is nervous about trying this, I understand. I have been hopelessly clumsy my whole life. My BFF threatens to bring a shower curtain when we go out to eat because I seem to always dump my water or worse. *Some of the folks on our tour had ridden Segways before so I was REALLY intimidated. But the instructor was patient and reassuring and I ended up doing just as well as the others in the group. Still can't believe that!
Our tour stopped at several places around FW and our guide gave us Disney trivia all along the route via ear pieces. We went by Discovery Island and over to Wilderness Lodge. Here are a few of the many photos I took along the way, some WHILE I WAS DRIVING THE SEGWAY WITH THE OTHER HAND!
aeffbb54.jpg

60b24a66.jpg

9f80fb4c.jpg

2f984eb5.jpg

ea32b501.jpg

d6a86578.jpg

537c9a63.jpg

And just for you VWL owners:
8357a259.jpg

4074f19c.jpg

Another fun tour for me. Now I have NO schedule for the rest of the day nor for tomorrow!

Sent from my iPad

What a fun packed solo trip!! you are my idol! I can totally see myself doing a solo trip one day. Right now, just enjoying through you!! Have a fabulous relaxing day today and tomorrow with what ever floats your boat!

Wow, both of those tours look wonderful. Thank you for taking so many pictures and sharing them with us. Now I really need to go on a Segway tour! :thumbsup2

I am loving your trip report so far. I am currently on hold to see how much the Wild Trek tour will cost for our family. I imagine it's going to be a big ouch!

Am I to understand that you can only get internet through wifi now??

I am loving your trip report so far. I am currently on hold to see how much the Wild Trek tour will cost for our family. I imagine it's going to be a big ouch!

Am I to understand that you can only get internet through wifi now??

Correct. No Ethernet anymore. Today I seem to be able to connect okay but I just can't upload photos. Maybe if I lowered the resolution on my photos I would be okay but it was just easier to do the cell data for a month.
You will get sticker shock for the Trek tour. But if you can swing it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

You will get sticker shock for the Trek tour. But if you can swing it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

You are correct about the shock! Goofydad won't go for that price but he did enjoy looking at your pictures.

I knew they were slowly implementing wifi everywhere but I was hoping we could use both. Oh well, time to get rid of the old router I planned to put into the OL.

Absolutley loving your TR. Have a wonderful time going solo and while I have done a day or two solo before or after a business trip, I have yet to do one of serious length. I think Disney is the one place where I would feel comfortable enough to do that though.

First of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!:bday:
So glad I found your trip report - your pics are amazing of Kidani - makes me even more excited to get there soon!!! And so jealous you are on a solo trip there - I have been on two, both at the Value resorts (DH wouldn't let me use points without him!), and I hope I can do one at DVC someday!
Enjoy the rest of your trip - make sure you find yourself a yummy cupcake on property to celebrate your birthday!! Looking forward to the remainder of your report!:goodvibes

I had planned to spend Tuesday afternoon and evening at Epcot, hopefully including Illuminations. I also wanted to catch Off Kilter but they were not playing. I managed to enjoy some more of the Flower and Garden Festival (DH and I were here in March, so I saw lots then) and I also did Spaceship Earth and The Land ride.
415b26cb.jpg

4727bdb3.jpg

5fbfbf62.jpg

This one is for bobbiwoz. I didn't make the tea this time but I hope to on a future trip:
034cad59.jpg

At that point the skies were looking bad so I headed for the hacienda, stopping by The Mara to pick up a Mara Salad on the way. I no sooner got to underground parking than the skies opened up. Heavy rain and wind. Boy was I happy for the parking here at Kidani! *It continued to rain lightly on and off all night and I was grateful for my covered balcony so I could still enjoy the savanna.*

I had planned a leisurely start for my last full day but the weather was predicted to worsen as the day progressed so I headed to MK for rope drop. I always get choked up. I think it is because I imagine all the people seeing it for the first time and how they must be feeling.
852cc6aa.jpg

I managed to do Buzz twice, Small World, Haunted, Pirates and Peter, after waiting to have my picture taken with Mickey and Minnie. All of this in about 2 hours-- one of the perks of solo traveling. *
48b4a286.jpg

I always stop here to pay my respects to Richyams. *I don't know if his ashes are really here, but if they are then he knows he is not forgotten on the DIS.
8a50a70f.jpg

Since the showers were coming I decided to head to Kona Cafe for lunch, then to Epcot. Too bad, Kona's breakfast was over and lunch wouldn't start for a while so thought I would go to Big River Grill instead. Too bad for me again because there was a waiting list so headed for Chefs de France. *Got right in and it was meant to be. I have tried for years to meet Remy and he came right to my table!
c9f5fd05.jpg

I took more topiary photos, went to Germany to get treats for DH, stopped at Fort Wilderness for a gift for neighbors and back to Kidani.
57bd0402.jpg

3d5c5e15.jpg

7da48eab.jpg

Right now I hear lots of thunder. I am doing laundry (no one else using the machines!) and having a glass of wine on the balcony while the zebras entertain me. I suspect that there will be no Illuminations for me tonight either but I can walk over every night when I am at BWV in October. Maybe the hot tub? Maybe Sanaa? Maybe my really good book? Maybe the library for another cultural talk. Solo trips aren't perfect but there is a lot to be said for not having to worry about anyone else! *Thanks for joining me in cyberspace travel!

Sent from my iPad

Here are photos of the pool area. Great place for young kids and good HA accommodations!
831290bc.jpg

ced81cae.jpg

47895942.jpg

062d09fd.jpg

d241cb1c.jpg

fe5be093.jpg

835727df.jpg

70333033.jpg

3fc339c0.jpg

b4f74781.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts