Kickin' it at the Fort

Time to resurrect the Kickin it thread. They have new rockers made from recycled plastic. Oh well.....we are still kicken it. Had to go from the side rail as the settlement facing rails were occupied by a couple of gents who looked like they had settled in.
Lower rail........
20230825_184427.jpg
Upper rail......20230825_184500.jpg
Steve

Time to resurrect the Kickin it thread. They have new rockers made from recycled plastic. Oh well.....we are still kicken it. Had to go from the side rail as the settlement facing rails were occupied by a couple of gents who looked like they had settled in.

How did the new composite rockers feel, @JETS70? Any different than the previous wooden ones? I noticed that in the article linked in the Trails End thread about the rockers the pics showed a couple little matching side tables as well.

Ed

I have to be honest, they stink. They are a flat construction that doesn't conform to any body parts and they are very heavy. They look like they would be more at home sitting around the perimeter of a playground made from the same material. Don't get me wrong, at least there are places to sit on the porch but they are not the "old" porch rockers.

Steve

I have to be honest, they stink. They are a flat construction that doesn't conform to any body parts and they are very heavy. They look like they would be more at home sitting around the perimeter of a playground made from the same material. Don't get me wrong, at least there are places to sit on the porch but they are not the "old" porch rockers.

Steve
They also removed the picnic tables that we used a lot... :(

How did the new composite rockers feel, @JETS70? Any different than the previous wooden ones? I noticed that in the article linked in the Trails End thread about the rockers the pics showed a couple little matching side tables as well.

Ed
Ed,
I don't remember seeing the side tables. Perhaps I am just forgetting. I was a bit bothered by the absence of the picnic tables to pay attention on anything else. I don't recall how comfortable the chairs were but they were not so uncomfortable that I remembered so my thoughts are, they couldn't have been that bad... it was disappointing to me that they no longer had that wilderness look and feel and that the picnic tables were gone but as I recall, those picnic tables were like nothing you would ever see in a wilderness so not sure what they got me all riled up about.

Regardless, they have reduced the seating capacity on that outside patio by a lot. :( I don't think they want campers hanging out and eating back there. Still, the picnic tables along the front, sitting out on the sidewalk/road with the umbrellas are still there at least for now.

Regardless, they have reduced the seating capacity on that outside patio by a lot. :( I don't think they want campers hanging out and eating back there. Still, the picnic tables along the front, sitting out on the sidewalk/road with the umbrellas are still there at least for now.

Maybe they figured that since the tables/chairs INSIDE were now open to the Quick Service customers for eating, they didn't need as much seating OUTSIDE for eating. :confused3

To Stormy's point, though, the composite material choice of that gray plastic on the Pioneer Hall porch is a clash of look and style. That kind of choice over at the main pool where it's on a large concrete deck in full sun all day long would be justified; on a narrow woodsy porch with a log rail fence around it, :sad2: . Doesn't that plastic stuff at least come in a brown or khaki color? Home Depot has that kind of deck furniture in a brown FWIW.

I might start a movement to have Pioneer Hall, from the concierge/ticket windows down to the far corner of the porch at Crockett's Tavern, declared a National Historic Monument. Meaning they can't change the outside appearance of the building, only restore and repair. My fear is that when it comes time to build on the River Country land (again), they'll change the appearance of Pioneer Hall to "go with" or match the new building(s) that will be so close to our existing structures.

The proposed DVC cabin replacements are also less "woodsy" looking and more modern looking. The frontier/wilderness look may disappear and we'll get more of the "planned community" look. :eek:

Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!