Kevin I think you will appreciate this story about my recent Ohana's experience

Nom

Mouseketeer
Hi Kevin (and anyone else interested!) I recently had a nightmare experience at Ohanas which I thought you would appreciate. (I also crossposted it on the dining board, but I wanted to post it here as well to make sure you see it, because I think you'll relate after your review!)

We always go to Ohanas, every trip, for years. Recently though, the changes on the menu and the extremely rushed service have made me rethink this, and I had planned to skip it this year. Plus, your podcast review reinforced my thoughts about this place. However, dh was nostalgic and asked me to add it back on to our PS list, so I did. What a mistake- after the experience we had this time, it's officially off my list of places I will dine in WDW. Here's the short list of problems we encountered; our main issues this time were with service:

- Food Allergy Carelessness: I always make sure to tell our server about dd's peanut allergy. In the past, the chef would always come out and talk to us about it. This time? Right after I tell our server, the food delivery man (for lack of a better term) plunks down the dipping sauces on our table, with the peanut sauce literally right in front of my daughter!!! I was stunned! If I had not seen that and known it was peanut sauce from previous visits to Ohana, this could have been a life-threatening 'mistake'!

- Dry, unappetizing food: The food was somewhat dry, as it has been over the past years, but the sausage took the cake. Wow, was that sausage or wood? I long for the days of salmon being an option. Also, the peel and eat shrimp was so appetizing when you looked closely and saw that it was not pre-cleaned (evident by the shrimp poop line intact within the shrimp). Yummy! I decided to skip the shrimp and sausage and wait for the pork and steak, which rolls into my next issue...

- Spotty food delivery people: For some reason, the food delivery people never brought over steak or pork, even though we asked for it multiple times. Finally, after about 15 min of waiting, the busboy started taking our plates. I had to stop him and say, "You are not taking our plates until we get the other 1/2 of our meal!!!". Finally they brought the steak and pork. It's a good thing I knew we were supposed to get it, or we would have missed out!

- Dessert Disaster: After they brought the steak and pork, the waitress came over and asked if we wanted dessert. Another show was starting, and my parents, daughter and I were getting up to join in. I told the waitress that we were all getting up, and to please hold the dessert until the show was over. We came back, and there was our dessert on the table, all melted and having sat there through the whole show I am sure. This was the final straw for me. I know Ohana is busy, but the other problems could have just been mistakes as the servers rush around. However, I specifically asked her to hold the dessert, and she just totally ignored my request to try to turn over the table faster. I had to act with my wallet and leave her a poor tip.

... and of course this list does not mention the wait time to be seated, crouded atmosphere and rushing service, since those are to be expected at Ohanas. I guess Disney has finally bled the rock dry with this formerly great restaurant. I just wonder how long people will keep going there- I guess they may not know or remember how truely great this place used to be.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this post and hopefully it did not give you any bad flashbacks to your own dining experience there!

DH and I had the same terrible service the last time we ate there too. We never did get the steak or pork even after asking to many times. We now go to the breakfast instead which is way better.

We usually went to Ohana every trip but this year we tried Texas de Brazil and LOVED it... What a terrific place... We have Churrascaria's here in New York City but they are even MORE expensive than TdB for dinner... Texas de Brazil was fantastic!

Ooo...I've been to Plataforma churrascaria on 44th St (I think?) I LOVED it! It's been 6 years since I've been to it but anytime someone I know goes to NYC, I tell them "You've GOT to try this restaurant...."

However, they just opened one up here in Kansas City. YIPPEE!! It's about $45 a plate, not counting drinks and dessert. DH and I are waiting for a special occasion!

Wow what a crappy experience. :sad2: I usually let things go but I think after all of that I would have asked for a manager. Sorry you all had such a bad experience there. Thanks for sharing with us.

there is no reason for your experience to have been like this :(

but i did want to point out that it is impossible to de-vein (take the poop line out of) a peel and eat shrimp. Yes, it should be cleaned (washed thoroughly, no grit, no legs, and plump and juicy), but you cant de-vein the shrimp until you have it's shell off. Kinda defeats the whole "peel and eat" thing.

And the vein isnt going to hurt you, but if you have a psychological aversion to it, that doesnt help i know.

But the thing with the peanut sauce right after you told someone about the allergies, would have been enough for me to "GO TRAILER PARK" on someone.

Okay Okay Okay..now what..I have an ADR for December and love the Poly. I want to watch the fireworks from the beach...where should I go instead. I had a bad experience at Narcoosses so thats off the list.

I had cancelled our ADR for Ohana after hearing Kevin's review looks like I made the right choice!

I guess Disney restaurants are basically a sine wave - they start getting good, and start to get good word of mouth, then they get too popular and service/food suffers and they finally get bad enough where people stop going. Then they regroup and start getting better and the viscous cycle starts anew.

We are stuck eating here next month at a rehearsal dinner for my cousin's wedding, I'm bringing my own BBQ sauce and I'm not sharing with the other 50 people invited. We ate here with the same cousin last November and told her then how much we disliked it. Oh well, the things a bridesmaid must do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter