Keep my Riviera waitlist or not?

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
I am traveling to WDW for New Years Eve (yes, I know crazy crowds, I already expect that). Because I knew my resale purchase wouldn't go through in time, I went ahead and rented points at Boardwalk Villas for 8 nights. I've been doing a bunch of split stays recently and they get tiresome. Due to airfare, I realized it would make much more sense to stay one extra night. Of course, I had already rented out and banked my 2019 points since I thought I had my trips figured out, but anyways, I went ahead and borrowed from 2020 for that one night. I had AKV (my home resort) booked, but today was the 7-month mark. I had hoped to get into Riviera, but unfortunately there was no availability. I made two waitlists, both for Riviera (one standard, one preferred). I was able to switch my AKV to Boardwalk though.

So, now I'm trying to decide:
-Cancel the waitlists and merge the two reservations, ensuring I can stay in the same room for all 9 nights.
-Keep the waitlist and possibly move rooms the last night, which is a hassle, but also would let me get to experience a new resort.

Any other thoughts?

You might have a pretty good chance of getting the waitlist filled. Sometime between now and year-end they'll likely declare more inventory for Riviera which will create new availability. Just depends how many others are on the waitlist in front of you.

Personally I hate moving so I’d stay at BWV. One night doesn’t seem like enough to get to experience a new resort. Just a heads up if you rented the reservation you won’t be able to merge it with the one night stay you booked. You can ask member services to link them so that hopefully you won’t have to move (assuming they are for the same room/view category)

I don't like split stays (although I can say I have never done one either) and if I can have all nights, in the same place, unpack, get food/drinks delivered and get settled, that is what I would do. If you stay at Riviera and check out the next morning, there is no guarantee, especially during the time of year that you are going, that you will be in your new room at BWVs before 4:00 pm.

I have a 10 night stay in a dedicated two bedroom in September at GFVs and my last night is in a 2 bedroom lockoff and I have been non stop stalking the website to find that last night (September 13) come up so we don't have to move on our last evening (I also have WL but more success in stalking).

Let us know what you decide.

I'd keep BWV and combine the reservations. Not worth moving for one night. Make an ADR for the new restaurant or check out out one of the bars/lounges & visit DRR then. Stay another time.

The only split-stays we’ve done had a 1-night stay elsewhere. The bad news is that you’re homeless for hours on that switching day which is annoying when you want a break. The good news is that you get to check out another resort without commuting an entire vacation to it. It’s really all about what your goal is for the trip. I don’t regret doing our split-stays. It did enlighten me that one resort which many love was not for us. DH, kids, and I didn’t like it. If we’d never done that one night stay, we wouldn’t have known that.

Thanks everyone - I decided to go ahead and cancel the waitlist and stick with Boardwalk. It will be so much easier to not need to pack up for a day.

That’s what I would have done not worth moving for one day in my opinion. just stop on by RIV on the Skyliner to check it out. Enjoy.

Enjoy! I would have done the same :)

I am usually a supporter of split stays and enjoy experiencing multiple resorts in one stay, though if you can only stay 1 night, I wouldn't do it. I don't think that is enough time, especially at the end of the trip would be enough. Enjoy the longer stay at Boardwalk and book Riviera for a future trip. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!