Keep Moving Forward: A Training Log (Comments Welcome)

If the heat and humidity during the marathon kill me, someone please torch my body on the spot and spread my ashes near Splash Mountain.

After my first two Marathon Weekends (2017 and 2019) having some days that were downright frigid, it looks like I'll get the toasty Florida races I've come to expect but have never experienced. Five of my six marathons have been at probably 50 degrees or below, with the 2019 Disney marathon being the lone exception. I remember hitting the wall hard during that race, but I'm not sure if it was the heat or cumulative exhaustion. Either way, I'm curious to see how an entire weekend of toasty races go.

Physically, I'm reasonably ready to go. My legs have been a bit achy at times, especially at the start of a run, and my shoes are a little on the worn out end, but nothing I'm concerned about. I have been dealing with a cold for about a week, as well as some shoulder pain. Nothing I can really do about that and it's not enough to keep me from running.

Mentally, I'm totally ready to go. 2019 was a long, miserable year and 2020 is going to have some significant challenges. With that in mind, I just want to get out of town for a few days, see some friends, soak up some sun, run some races and recharge my batteries. I'm looking forward to it all and not concerns with doing Disney solo for the first time.

I'm still trying to figure out my race plans a little bit. I think the 10K will be a regular run with a goal of finishing by 6:30 so I can try to get over to Hollywood Studios for a Rise of the Resistance boarding group. The half is up in the air. I could just run it so I can see MK in the dark or I could do something more laid back and fun. The DLS approach is intriguing. Marathon will definitely be the Goof Troop Roving Road Party™. I hope I can keep up with the rest of the gang.

Miles This Week: 12 (with 4-5 scheduled for later today)

Year To Date: 12

So, I haven't updated this training journal since before Marathon Weekend and, to be honest, the hiatus is going to continue indefinitely.

Marathon weekend was incredible. But, after that, it was back to reality and reality hasn't been all that great this year. As some of you know, I'm going through a divorce and it's really upended my life. I'm running, but everything is different. My runs, my routes, everything.

Right now, I just don't have the time, interest or energy to keep this journal going. I'll keep running in some capacity because it keeps me sane and I think I need running to survive.

I don't have any short term goals at the moment, except to just keep running and keep my head above water with everything else. Long term, I hope to do Lakefront again this fall and make another attempt to get into Chicago for 2021. Longer term, I will return for Marathon Weekend *some day* I just don't know when it will be. But I refuse to believe this last Marathon Weekend is my last Marathon Weekend.

Thank you to everyone who has followed this journal and offered me words of wisdom and encouragement. I hope to be back one day. Be well.

Sorry to hear about the divorce, been there, done that. Hopefully yours goes much better than mine. If you want to chat or vent let me know.
PS for some reason I didn’t know you’re in Iowa, I’ll be in Des Moines in October for a half marathon, if you’re near there I’m always up for a drink.

So, I've been accused by someone (who may or may not be my future ex-wife) of running too much. My response? I signed up for a marathon tonight that I plan to run in 25 days (it's a virtual race).

My last marathon was in January. My longest run since then (last Friday) was 9 miles. So, I have to build up to full in less than 4 weeks.

Is this dumb? Yes. Can I do it? Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Is it going to be ugly? You bet.

No guts, no glory.

You can do it Lee. It is really about managing expectations. No you won't PR. Yes you are going to be sore after, but sometimes you just need something to do. My first disney marathon was because i had a recent death in the family and work sucked. I just needed something to keep me engaged and excited.

I am definitely in the camp of this is starting to suck. Yes i am thankful for all the things I have but wow starting to get fidgety.

Sorry to hear about the divorce Lee! Running is good therapy for everything that is going on right now, so if it helps keep you sane go for it! I really admire anyone who can run a virtual marathon - if there isn't a medal and a t-shirt (and a box full of crappy snacks and a parking lot beer...) involved, I'm not sure I could talk myself into a full marathon. A half - definitely! (and will hopefully be doing one in a couple of weeks since SW was cancelled). Go get it and keep us posted!

You can do it Lee. It is really about managing expectations. No you won't PR. Yes you are going to be sore after, but sometimes you just need something to do. My first disney marathon was because i had a recent death in the family and work sucked. I just needed something to keep me engaged and excited.

I am definitely in the camp of this is starting to suck. Yes i am thankful for all the things I have but wow starting to get fidgety.
Sorry to hear about the divorce Lee! Running is good therapy for everything that is going on right now, so if it helps keep you sane go for it! I really admire anyone who can run a virtual marathon - if there isn't a medal and a t-shirt (and a box full of crappy snacks and a parking lot beer...) involved, I'm not sure I could talk myself into a full marathon. A half - definitely! (and will hopefully be doing one in a couple of weeks since SW was cancelled). Go get it and keep us posted!

Thank you both for the words of encouragement. My running routine since Disney has ranged from scattered to non-existent. Someone close to me said I need a race - any race - and she was right. I’m feeling motivated about running (and avoiding embarrassment). So that feels good.

If you let us know when you start your race, we can text you crowd support signs and do long distance shots with you.

Good luck with the race, and let us know when it is. Will send virtual jello shots and encouraging words your way.

Good luck with the race, and let us know when it is. Will send virtual jello shots and encouraging words your way.

Count on it. I’ll save my best dad jokes and puns to send you all after. I wouldn’t want you to miss out! Ha ha.

Took the day off and ran 13.2 this morning. First 7 were too fast, last 6 were too slow. But I finished. Plan for now is a couple shorter runs this week and 15 on Sunday. If I can get up to 17 for my long run the following week, I’ll feel fairly confident about the full on the 26th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!