Kazrak's In My Day We Had A Kessel Run Training Journal (Comments Welcome)

Okay, this week was a disaster.

Monday, C25K week 2 with younger son, slow.
Tuesday, 8m/2m x2. 1.42mi, 12:35 pace.
Tuesday session with personal trainer.
Took Wednesday off.
Thursday, Bike To Work Day. Biked in, 7.7 miles, about 40 minutes. Went to bike home...rear tire was completely flat. Took a Lyft home, picked up the bike on Friday. Haven't figured out what went wrong yet.
Friday, C25K week 2 with younger son, slow.
Saturday, went to do 8m/2m x4 around the college, and just...wasn't feeling it. Not sure if it was allergies or what, but I was just not 'there'. Bailed at the bridge, walked home.

Weight is also up, which probably isn't helping. Working on getting my head back in gear there.

Plan for the coming week:
M/F C25K with younger son, might see if I can get him up to week 3. Daughter may come along.
T/Th 8m/2m x2, maybe x4 if I can get up a bit earlier.
Saturday, 8m/2m x4.
Sunday, Bay to Breakers 12k. Should be about 8m/2m x9.

Better this week, although not enough better.

Tuesday, 8m/2m x2. 1.44mi, 12:10 pace.
Thursday, 8m/2m x2. 1.49mi, 12:02 pace.
Friday: C25K week 2 with younger son and daughter, slow.

Sunday, Bay to Breakers. Recap coming up over in the Running Thread, but summary: 12k, 1:36:26, 12:56 pace.

Plan for the upcoming week:

MTW: Recover from race.
Thursday: 8m/2m x2.
Friday: C25K week 2 with whichever of younger son and daughter are up to running.
Saturday: Unclear. My in-laws arrive Friday afternoon, so the weekend plans are entirely up in the air.

Bad week last week. Got nothing done. Trainer had to skip because of a family emergency, and now he's away for four weeks for his honeymoon.

Plan from here:
Tuesday: solo workout (trainer sent me a plan before he left).
WF: C25K week 2 with whichever kids want to run.
Thursday: 8m/2m x2.
Saturday: 8m/2m x3.

Better this week.
Tuesday workout went well, but I may have overdone.
Wednesday: slow C25K week 2 with younger son.
Thursday/Friday: legs hurt from Tuesday, needed the sleep.
Saturday: Decided to try 2m/30s intervals. Not sure I like them, but I can probably cope. 2m/30s x16, 3.09mi, 12:41 pace.

Plan for next week:
MWF: C25K as appropriate with whichever kids are up to it.
Tuesday: 20-30 minute run. Workout in the afternoon.
Thursday: Will depend on how I feel after Tuesday.
Saturday: Aiming for another 5k or so.

Back up to speed this week.
Tuesday: Decided to push for speed. 2m/30s x16. 1.81mi, 10:46 pace, 19:31. Pleased with this.
Tuesday afternoon: Gym workout. Not quite as sore afterwards, fortunately.
Took Wednesday off.
Thursday: 2m/30s x16, but not pushing for speed. 1.51mi, 12:50 pace, 19:31.
Friday: C25K week 3 with younger son, slow.
Saturday: Decided to push for distance, both because I hadn't for a while and because I needed Adventure Sync distance for Pokemon Go. Also, I finally figured out how to set my watch to give run/walk interval notifications without a fixed number of intervals. Set it to 2m/30s and went for 3 laps around the college, with a goal of going slowly.

I've noticed my heart rate tends to be very high (into 'threshold' in Strava, or 'maximum' on the watch), so I decided to push for distance while keeping the heart rate out of 'maximum'. So I tried to pace myself at about 13:00/mile, instead of what I consider 'cruising speed' of about 11:30.

Elapsed time 1:32:03, moving time 1:31:41. Pace 13:42, distance 6.69 miles. Strava puts heart rate at 52.2% in 'moderate' and 43.5% in 'tempo', only 0.5% in threshold and 0.6% in anaerobic. Compare to Tuesday's run, which had 48.1% in threshold and 2.9% in anaerobic.

Very pleased with this run overall. I felt like I could keep that pace going forever. I sprinted for the last minute or so - Strava is giving a peak pace of 7:24/mi at the end, but the watch said 5:55/mi when I ended the run.

Plan for the week going forward:
Monday/Friday C25K week 3. Probably slow. Maybe Wednesday as well, we'll see.
Tuesday/Thursday: 2m/30s x16. Might get up early one of them and loop the college for a 5k.
Tuesday afternoon: Gym workout.
Saturday: 2 or 3 laps around the college.

Not a good week this week.

Monday: Too hot. (Over 70F at 7am. Not a good sign.)
Tuesday: 2m/30x x8. 1.50mi, 19:14 moving time, 12:47/mi pace. Still stupid hot but I had to get up stupid early to get my daughter to the train station. Between work and exhaustion, couldn't get in a workout.
...and that was it. I was still fuzzy through Friday and just couldn't bring myself to move on Saturday.

On the plus side: went to Roadrunner Sports with wife and daughter, got fitted for shoes. Turns out I didn't need stability shoes in the slightest. Went to Saucony Guide ISO (from Omni ISO), and got custom-fit inserts.

This week is a vacation week. (I'm posting this from the airport.) Flying to LA for a couple days for baseball games, and back home on Wednesday. Hoping to get some runs in on Thursday and/or Friday.

Vacation last week, so nothing through the week. Got out on Saturday to test out the new shoes. Still getting used to them a bit.

2m/30s x8, 1.5 miles, 19:11 moving time, 12:44/mi pace.

Plan for this week:
Monday/Friday: C25K week 3 with younger son and/or daughter.
Tuesday/Thursday: 2m/30s x8.
Saturday: Loop the college (5k equivalent) at 2m/30s intervals.

Managed to keep to the schedule this week, mirabile dictu. Tried out the new shoes - after a couple days decided that the custom inserts aren't quite working for me. They're too thick and make my heels not fit in the shoe properly, so it feels like it's "sloshing". Trying to figure out what to do about that.

Monday: C25K week 3 with daughter and younger son, slow.
Tuesday: 2m/30s x8 with daughter. 1.55mi, 19:32 moving time, 12:36/mi pace.
Tuesday afternoon: Trainer is back from his honeymoon. Lots of work but fortunately wasn't super-sore afterwards.
Thursday: 2m/30s x8. 1.54mi, 19:24 moving time, 12:34/mi pace.
Friday: C25K week 3 with younger son, slow.
Saturday: 2m/30s intervals around the college. The goal was to do it slowly to try to keep the heart rate low, but my Garmin decided this was a good run to stop paying attention to my heart rate. So, still did it slowly but I'm not sure what my heart rate was at. 2.91mi, 39:05 moving time, 13:25/mi pace.

Next week:
Sunday: 48th birthday. Nothing really planned. We're doing birthday dinner tonight because of work schedules for the older two kids.
Tuesday/Thursday: 2m/30s x8.
Tuesday: Workout with trainer.
Saturday: Either two loops of the college at a low heart rate, or one loop for speed. Haven't decided yet.

Another good week. Getting back in the saddle on paying attention to what I eat, and the weight is trending down again.

Monday: C25K week 3 with younger son, slow.
Tuesday: 2m/30s x8. 1.54 mi, 18:49 moving time, 12:11/mi pace.
Tuesday afternoon: Trainer workout. Was a good thing.
Thursday: Decided to take the day and try for a quick loop around the college, seeing if I could keep a pace faster than 12:00. 2.78 mi., total time 32:02, pace 11:31/mi. Pleased with this.
Friday: Declared a holiday and slept in.
Saturday: Two loops of the college at a low heart rate, 2m/30s intervals. Heart rate was 41.7% 'moderate', 51.1% 'tempo', average 150, per Strava - still a bit higher than I'd like, but I really think I need to get the weight down more to fix that. 4.79mi, moving time 1:06:39, pace 13:55/mi.

At this point, I think the idea of getting a corral D time in either of my races next month is a pipe dream. This means I'll be in corral E for Princess Half. However, getting an updated corral E time is in range, I think. So, the plan from here is to focus on that for now, and then after the August races, aim for a corral D time for my planned NYE 10k.

(Yes, I'm aware runDisney can change the rules, but I'm going on the assumption that they'll keep 2:45 as the PoT cutoff and that faster times will move me up in corrals.)

Speaking of which: current planned races. Items marked with a * are not yet registered.

August 3: Summer Breeze 10k, San Leandro, CA
August 25: Bridge to Bridge 12k, San Francisco, CA
November 22: Turkey Trot 5k, Fountain Hills, AZ *
December 28: Brazen New Years Eve 10k, Fremont, CA *
January 1: Brazen New Years Eve 5k, Castro Valley, CA *
February 15: Brazen Bay Breeze 5k or 10k, San Leandro, CA * (Potential - my wife may be running this, and if so, I'll use it as a training run.)
February 23: WDW Princess Half Marathon, Bay Lake, FL (Will be used as Kessel Run virtual half)
March 29: Brazen Hellyer 10k, San Jose, CA *
April 19: WDW Star Wars Rival Run Half Marathon, Bay Lake, FL *
April 25: Brazen Western Pacific 5k, Fremont, CA * (Potential - my wife may run this, and if so, I'll run the 5k.)

I may look into more races in the fall, but Brazen's fall schedule goes heavily toward their 'Ultra Half' series, and I'm just not interested in that much altitude change. The only non-Ultra races they do between Summer Breeze and NYE are their Thanksgiving races, and we're in AZ that week. Their NYD race is in that series as well, which is why I'm doing the 5k - it's got a vaguely sane ascent/descent of 165', as opposed to some others at 789' for the 5k (3989' for the half marathon).

There are, however, other groups doing races here, so I'm thinking I should branch out a bit more. We'll see what I can find.

Anyway: plan for this week. Basically a repeat of this week's plan but pushing a bit longer.
Tuesday/Thursday: 2m/30s x8, maybe loop the college if I get up early.
Saturday: Either three loops of the college at a low heart rate, or two loops for speed. We'll see how I'm feeling.

Starting weight for the week, 246.3. Goal weight for next week, 245.

Pondering the planned races a bit more. I'm thinking that if I can find another 10k local in the fall, I may do the NYE half instead. I'd like to get more halfs in, but I also want to get some 10ks in because I suspect I have a better chance of getting a corral D time from them. Worth investigating.

Mixed bag this week.

Monday: C25K week 3 with younger son and daughter, slow. Slower than usual, son's legs were sore for some reason.
Tuesday: 2m/30s x8. 1.56mi, 12:26/mi pace, 19:30 time.
Tuesday afternoon: Trainer workout. Starting a new round. He commented that he didn't think I needed endurance cardio because of the running, but some sprint would be good. So we did 10s/20s intervals on a bike, aiming for more than 60 rpm. I peaked at 80 on the first round, but by the sixth I was barely keeping it above 60.
Thursday: 2m/30s x8. 1.58mi, 12:18/mi pace, 19:31 time.
Friday: C25K week 3 with younger son, slow. His legs were feeling better this time.

Saturday: I decided to see how hard I could push with minimal rest, just because. I was going along at about 10:30/mi pace, so I figured I'd drop to a walk when my pace dropped below 11:00/mi. At 0.88 miles, it did, so I walked for a minute or so before running again. Kept running until 1.5 miles, walked for 45 seconds or so. Plan was to run to 2.2 miles, but at about 2.1 my body told me to start walking or start puking. So I walked for a minute and a half, started running again, and then called the run shortly thereafter because it was that or puke. So I walked back home from there.

Educational, certainly. My times were certainly decent, but clearly that's about as far as I can go. Distance 2.35mi, pace 11:12/mi, time 26:22. Average heart rate 161. (Yeek.) Mile splits were 11:13 for the first mile, 10:49 for the second, 12:18 pace for the remaining 0.35.

Wife and I discussed running plans for the fall. We've decided to do the San Jose Rock 'n' Roll 10k in October, which means I'll probably do the New Year's Eve Half. I've registered for the Star Wars Half as well.

That makes my planned race schedule look like this:
* - not yet registered

August 3: Summer Breeze 10k, San Leandro, CA
August 25: Bridge to Bridge 12k, San Francisco, CA
October 6: Rock 'n' Roll 10k, San Jose, CA *
November 22: Turkey Trot 5k, Fountain Hills, AZ *
December 28: Brazen New Years Eve Half, Fremont, CA *
January 1: Brazen New Years Eve 5k, Castro Valley, CA *
February 15: Brazen Bay Breeze 5k or 10k, San Leandro, CA * (Potential - my wife may be running this, and if so, I'll use it as a training run.)
February 23: WDW Princess Half Marathon, Bay Lake, FL (Will be used as Kessel Run virtual half)
March 29: Brazen Hellyer 10k, San Jose, CA *
April 19: WDW Star Wars Rival Run Half Marathon, Bay Lake, FL
April 25: Brazen Western Pacific 5k, Fremont, CA * (Potential - my wife may run this, and if so, I'll run the 5k.)
May 31: Bay to Breakers 12k (maybe 15k?), San Francisco, CA *

This week, same as last week's plan:
Saturday: Either three loops of the college at a low heart rate, or two loops for speed. We'll see how I'm feeling.

Weight was down a bit early in the week, then trended back up. Starting weight for this week, 247.0. Goal for next week, 245.

Good week overall.

Monday, C25K week 3 with daughter and younger son, slow.
Tuesday, 2m/30s x8 with daughter. 1.56mi, 12:28/mi pace, 19:32 time.
Tuesday afternoon, trainer workout. Did a better job of pacing for the bike sprints - was peaking around 70rpm for all 6.
Thursday, 2m/30s x8, solo. 1.59mi, 12:07/mi pace, 19:21 time.
Friday, C25K week 3 with younger son, slow.
Saturday, plan was to loop the college twice, maybe three times, seeing how it went. I took a detour out a bit on the outbound leg because there was a woman with two dobermans blocking the path, so I hit the loop around the soccer field to give her time to get clear. (She did.) Right knee started complaining at about 1.6 miles, and didn't seem to improve. I kept running because I knew I was going to have to use the bathroom as soon as I stopped running, and it was over a mile and a half to home from there. Only did one loop, and kept running back to the start point. With the detour, I knew that would be a 5k. 3.10mi, 12:46/mi pace, 39:38 time.

Plan for this week, same as last week

Weight hit a low of 244.4 yesterday, but was back up to 245.1 today. Still, quite pleased with that. Goal for next week, 243.

Not a great week.

Monday: C25K week 3 with younger son, slow.
Tuesday: 2m/30s x8. 1.56mi, 19:25 time, 12:25/mi pace. Knee complaining a little bit.
Tuesday afternoon: Trainer workout. Knee was still a bit unhappy so we changed up some exercises (skipped the split squats).
Thursday: Had some time so did 2m/30s around the college with daughter. 2.91mi, 36:36 time, 12:33/mi pace. Knee started having issues around 1.6 miles in, but same issue as last weekend.
After that, I decided to take Friday and Saturday off so the knee could recover.

Weight back up to 249. It's been that kind of a week. Goal for next week, 245.

Plan for this week:
Monday: C25K week 3 with younger son and/or daughter.
Tuesday: 2m/30s x8.
No trainer session Tuesday due to work conference.
Thursday: 2m/30s x8.
Friday: C25K week 3 with younger son and/or daughter.
Saturday: Brazen Summer Breeze 10k. I'd hoped to get a Corral D time out of this, but at this point I'll be thrilled if I can complete it without my knee giving out. Wife is doing the 10k as well; daughter is doing the half marathon. This is a flat course along the Bay, same one as Bay Breeze in February.

And, the time off didn't help. Tried a run today with younger son and the knee was unhappy as soon as we started running.

I'll take the week off and hope it's settled for the race on Saturday.

Race recap going up on the main running thread. tl;dr: about 3.5 minutes off a Corral E time, but the knee was fine.

Okay. Plan for the week going forward:

Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday: Recuperate, no running.
Tuesday afternoon: Trainer session.
Thursday: 2m/30s x8.
Friday: C25K week 3 with son and/or older daughter.
Saturday: 5k loop around the college.

Bridge to Bridge is in 3 weeks. Ideal world, I'll come in under 1:30 to get an updated Corral E time; 1:22 for Corral D would be nice but I'm not optimistic.

Recovery week.

Tuesday session with trainer - the knee starting giving issues after a bit, so we took it easy from there and did mostly core work.

I took Thursday and Friday off as well to let it recover.

Saturday run with daughter: plan was 2m/30s around the college. We got about halfway before her ankle started having issues, so we walked the rest of the way.

Plan for this week:
Monday/Friday: C25K week 3 (or even 2) with younger son and/or daughter.
Tuesday afternoon: Trainer session.
Tuesday/Thursday: 2m/30s x8 or even x10. Daughter may come along, may not.
Saturday: 2m/30s around the college.

Not a good week for various reasons.

I had a coworker come up to me and tell me that I looked like I was getting burnt out. (Which, probably true.) We're rescheduling some stuff at home in an attempt to ease things there.

Monday: C25K week 3 with daughter and younger son, slow.
Tuesday: Looped the college with daughter. She dropped to a walk about 15 minutes in with ankle issues; I kept going because I needed to run back to be able to get to work on time. 2.90 miles, 12:34 pace/mi, 26:29 time.
Tuesday afternoon: Trainer session. Still taking it easy on the knee.
Thursday: Massive heatwave here, and too hot to run.
Friday: Got up at 5am to bring older son to the airport. Planned to run when I got home, but was too zoned-out to do so.
Saturday: Too tired to run effectively.

Weight is sitting around 249 right now. Weather is forecast as still warm this week but not as bad as last week.

Plan for the week:
Tuesday: 2m/30s x8 or x10, or even loop the college (about x14).
Tuesday afternoon: No trainer, he's out this week.
Thursday: Like Tuesday.
Friday afternoon: Drop daughter off at airport.
Saturday: Bridge to Bridge expo
Sunday: Bridge to Bridge 12k. Not optimistic on 1:30 at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!