Just wondering what everyone thinks... Will the Olympic Games happen in Tokyo this year? Let's hear your thoughts

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
I am just wondering what everyone really thinks and your thought process on it... ?

I really haven't found very much on it one way or the other. Just an interview with the head of the Olympic Committee, and he did not give really info on what is going on, and which way the committee is leaning and would not even give a date that a decision will be made by...

I sure hope not. The 2020 Olympics have got to go. The world does not need them at this time. Public health comes first.

The committee is not leaning in any particular direction. Everyone wants something different. Cancellation, postponement of a month, postponement of a year, no change & ban spectators, etc. They genuinely have absolutely no idea what they will do.

IOC says they don’t want to cancel the games but now that Canada & Australia have pulled out, they have no choice but to cancel or postpone. Kudos to Canada & Australia for making the wise decision rather than the stubborn or emotional one.

Tokyo has a good handle on things, but Canada has already said they are not sending athletes. A good guess is they'll delay until 2021.

0% chance now that large countries are pulling out. I applaud Canada for ripping off the band-aid and being the first to pull out.

My question is not IF they will reschedule, but WHEN. My DH and I are still really hoping we could still go to Japan next year in April during my Spring Break, but we certainly won't if the Olympics are taking place at or right around that time.

It’ll probably be next summer. I remember reading the choices under consideration are this November (highly unlikely), summer 2021, or summer 2022.

I'm watching and waiting to hear when they'll be rescheduled. Much of the speculation I've read has centered around putting it off a year exactly - to July, 2021 - because moving it to a different season would interfere with the regular sports seasons of some of the participating athletes in sports like basketball where pros are able to participate, and I'm fully expecting that to be the eventual outcome. But selfishly, I'm hoping that's not the case because we put off our trip to Japan to 2021 specifically to avoid the Olympics and I really don't want to delay until 2022 since every year we delay increases the odds that college-age DD won't be able to join us due to internships or summer research.

I'm watching and waiting to hear when they'll be rescheduled. Much of the speculation I've read has centered around putting it off a year exactly - to July, 2021 - because moving it to a different season would interfere with the regular sports seasons of some of the participating athletes in sports like basketball where pros are able to participate, and I'm fully expecting that to be the eventual outcome. But selfishly, I'm hoping that's not the case because we put off our trip to Japan to 2021 specifically to avoid the Olympics and I really don't want to delay until 2022 since every year we delay increases the odds that college-age DD won't be able to join us due to internships or summer research.

Op Here,

I would think that they will most likely do it the same time next year... normally the games are in the later summer months...

though I did read somewhere, that the apartments that the Athlete's stay in are suppose to be made into luxury apartments after the games.... So the investors might push for early next year... if they push for the beginning of the year, you still have to deal with Flu season, so this could come into play again...

Op Here,

I would think that they will most likely do it the same time next year... normally the games are in the later summer months...

though I did read somewhere, that the apartments that the Athlete's stay in are suppose to be made into luxury apartments after the games.... So the investors might push for early next year... if they push for the beginning of the year, you still have to deal with Flu season, so this could come into play again...
I ought to go talk with Abe (as if I could, haha) because if that's the case with the apartments, they really need some good temporary housing.
You know what's been in the news lately?
Cruise ships.
Instead of trying to build even more new temporary housing (unless there's enough growth anticipated for it), maybe what they need to do is park a whole lot of thoroughly disinfected cruise ships in Tokyo Bay and use those. How busy are the cruise lines going to be by summer 2021 anyhow?
Well, that's not really useful info for anyone, just me having fun as I sit and wait for the time I can change my reservations, and thinking on this dilemma cities always seem to have as to where to house thousands of athletes and spectators for a one time event .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!