just weird thoughts on wearing masks

The OP is a prime example of the phenomenon of someone convincing themselves of something completely off the wall because they misunderstood some basic facts, and then based a whole lot of reasoning on those misunderstood "facts".
Seems to happen often nowadays.

I was just thinking how safe, healthy, sanitary, it is to be forced to wear a mask for 8 to 12 hrs a day--

first your breathing in all the little fibers of the mask--

to which your breathing the same air in and our all day

this alone cant be healthy or sanitary

people talk about the airplane air thats been recycled this from a mask isnt even recycled--its just the same old stale air

Im thinking in a few years from now it will come out how many people have breathing problems by wearing masks

also I still cant see in this day and time with all the brillant minds ,science medicine, technically how this whole thing got so messed

up--would would have ever thought the whole world would be shut down!!!!

Folks, we got ourselves a critical thinker here. Do your thing.

Were doctors, nurses, and construction workers wearing handmade cloth masks before? I was very much under the impression they were wearing medical grade masks. I know I can’t replace the surgeon masks we occasionally use at work with cloth masks because the cloth masks aren’t considered proper PPE.

(I’m not anti-mask, I’m just pointing out that there are differences between what they wear- or at least should be wearing, if there weren’t shortages- versus what every other person is wearing currently, and it is foolish to think they are the same thing and provide the same level of protection.)

OP, it may help to look into any medical studies that involve those who wear face coverings for religious purposes. I haven’t read any, but now I’m kind of curious and may look into it...

Lmao. "Anti mask" is a thing now.

Cloth masks—dangerous to your health?

"The widespread use of cloth masks by healthcare workers may actually put them at increased risk of respiratory illness and viral infections and their global use should be discouraged, according to a UNSW study."

.....The authors speculate that the cloth masks' moisture retention, their reuse and poor filtration may explain the increased risk of infection.

Professor MacIntyre, who has completed the largest body of clincial trial research on respiratory protection in health workers internationally, said emerging infectious diseases are not constrained within geographical borders.
"Effective controls of outbreaks and pandemics at the origin impacts us directly, so it is important for global disease control that the use of cloth masks be discouraged in high-risk situations," she said.
"Despite more than half the world using cloth masks, global disease control guidelines, including those from the World Health Organisation, fail to clearly specify conditions of their use.
"These guidelines need to be updated to reflect the higher infection risk posed by cloth masks, as found in our study."

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-04-masksdangerous-health.html

Surgeons wear masks literally all day. You'll be fine.
Yes. And the ones they wear have a better seal.

But they lower the temperature in the OR to about 60 degrees. Much easier in 60 degrees and moderate humidity than 90 degrees and 90% humidity. And they change them between surgeries. Surgical masks don't seal. They are worn to protect the patient from what the medical staff spew during surgery. When medical staff were wearing N95s in a hospital setting, they were wearing them in the isolation room. Once they left, they took them off.

Last edited:
I guess I look towards the society of Japan, very common for them always to wear masks (not just since start of Covid) and they have a healthy society.

"The widespread use of cloth masks by healthcare workers may actually put them at increased risk of respiratory illness and viral infections and their global use should be discouraged, according to a UNSW study."

.....The authors speculate that the cloth masks' moisture retention, their reuse and poor filtration may explain the increased risk of infection.

Professor MacIntyre, who has completed the largest body of clincial trial research on respiratory protection in health workers internationally, said emerging infectious diseases are not constrained within geographical borders.
"Effective controls of outbreaks and pandemics at the origin impacts us directly, so it is important for global disease control that the use of cloth masks be discouraged in high-risk situations," she said.
"Despite more than half the world using cloth masks, global disease control guidelines, including those from the World Health Organisation, fail to clearly specify conditions of their use.
"These guidelines need to be updated to reflect the higher infection risk posed by cloth masks, as found in our study."

Not buying it. If wearing a mask is dangerous to your health, do you really think they would wear them all the time in other countries? Japan? South Korea?

I just read the first page but they tracked people who wore the same mask every shift for 4 weeks. It does not say if the mask was washed between uses (which is a recommendation) or if it was just hung in a proverbial locker and put back on the next day. I presume anything worn on ones face and mouth without being washed would carry increased germs and may you more likely to catch something.

I just read the first page but they tracked people who wore the same mask every shift for 4 weeks. It does not say if the mask was washed between uses (which is a recommendation) or if it was just hung in a proverbial locker and put back on the next day. I presume anything worn on ones face and mouth without being washed would carry increased germs and may you more likely to catch something.
And that's where the critical thinking comes in...👍🏻👍🏻

They are finding that fragments of virus can remain the nasal and throat area for much longer than the active infection lasts. They also believe it could be in the lungs much longer. What they haven't figured out is if it's just a DNA fragment or it's actually infective. Much like the dogs that had it in their nose. They lived with owners who had it. Dogs had some DNA in their respiratory tract. Somehow they determined that it wasn't contagious.

My husband had an antibody test this past Friday because he had a strange COVID-like illness that lasted most of January and February and he just wanted to know. He tested negative as I suspected he would. I don't think the virus was rampant in my area (DC area) in early January.
Sorry, a little OT but I'd like to understand this better. I've heard several times about animals testing positive for Covid. In my ignorance, it would seem that if the virus is present, it's present and can be shed - why can it not be passed from pets to their owners in close proximity? TIA to anyone with accurate information on this. :dogdance:

Sorry, a little OT but I'd like to understand this better. I've heard several times about animals testing positive for Covid. In my ignorance, it would seem that if the virus is present, it's present and can be shed - why can it not be passed from pets to their owners in close proximity? TIA to anyone with accurate information on this. :dogdance:

Unfortunately, I don't have the info handy. I wish I did. Only that they found fragments of the virus' DNA in the noses of the pets but that it wasn't transmissable in the form that it was in. I probably didn't understand any of the medical lingo that was stated in that report.

I was just thinking how safe, healthy, sanitary, it is to be forced to wear a mask for 8 to 12 hrs a day--
Bicyclists and motorcyclists and skiers regularly wear close fitting cloth face coverings for very long periods of time. Sanitation shouldn't be a problem as long as you wash your masks.

first your breathing in all the little fibers of the mask--
There should not be little fibers loose mask. Even if wearing an N95 mask the filter media is a melt-blown material where the strands of polymer and up fused to each other, and this material is encased in the outer paper or fabric of the mask
I noticed what I'm calling a "mask" rash when I took it off when I got in my car. The rash went away in a little while but it was kind of creepy.
Impossible for anyone to say. Any change in personal care products that might have been on your face or hands that ends up under the mask can get 'concentrated' if covered.

Do you honestly believe no one ever wore a mask until a few weeks ago? Doctors, nurses, construction workers, et al??
There has been concern for these professionals on this matter before. In particular, negative-pressure filtration masks. There is special cause for concern when the wearer is a pregnant woman. Practically speaking, if I wear a N95 without an exhale valve for over an hour I can expect my saturated blood O2 measured at the fingertip to drop into the mid 90s.

I think it's just a matter of time before some form of powered respirator is developed for this unique use-case. A powered, positive pressure mask that's primary function is not to filter incoming air but to condense and filter outgoing air.

Yes. And the ones they wear have a better seal.
Surgical masks do not seal against the face. There are FDA rated filtering respirators that will also do the job of a surgical mask but that isn't the sort of mask recommended for everyday use. Even medical staff are unlikely to be wearing an N95 for hours at a time (though more common these days).

Lord knows how all the Doctors and nurses have survived all these years having to deal with those deadly masks that surely have caused them all breathing issues after decades of this kind of abuse.
I kinda get it. I mean I'm really pro-mask. Got scolded for saying I wanted to see face coverings on babies before I go back to WDW.

At the same time... I wore one of those cloth masks people are making themselves for the first time last weekend. I normally don't go out at all unless it's really important and when that happens I have to take the exceptional precaution of a filtering respirator. But my daughter and I went for a walk at a town park and I grabbed some cloth masks my mom had sewn us in case we encountered anyone walking the other way on the path. I can see why people don't like them.

Even if I didn't need the filtration I would use a filtering respirator or a large particle mask like landscapers and woodworkers use because they only contact the face around the edge or a commercial surgical mask.

Anecdotally, my employer has stated that they have had “several” cases of employees fainting while wearing cloth masks around office areas in the past month.
When I was fit for my respirator masks I got a small lecture about breathing. Breathing is supposed to be an autonomic process but put a mask on people and they start breathing 'on purpose', but nobody knows how to breath as well as their lizard brain does so they usually just start breathing constantly and hyperventilate themselves.

I’m wearing a cloth mask when I have to be around people, but I’m also trained with our standard PPE and recognize that I’m struggling more in a cotton cloth mask and I have to step away and take a mask-free breather regularly to prevent becoming another number in our safety tally at work.
Why not switch to a surgical mask? I've found them comfortable enough.

Not buying it. If wearing a mask is dangerous to your health, do you really think they would wear them all the time in other countries? Japan? South Korea?

What I’ve noticed is that in images of people wearing masks in Asia, they are all wearing those thin surgical masks, I haven’t seen any wearing cloth masks. It seems like it’s a new North American idea to wear a cloth covering or mask. I do wonder if it’s just their idea to prevent further depletion of PPEs over here.

What I’ve noticed is that in images of people wearing masks in Asia, they are all wearing those thin surgical masks, I haven’t seen any wearing cloth masks. It seems like it’s a new North American idea to wear a cloth covering or mask. I do wonder if it’s just their idea to prevent further depletion of PPEs over here.
It's easy to order disposable masks in the US.
Cloth were an offered option because they are fast to make.
Most people I know sometimes use cloth, sometimes disposable depending on the situation.

When this all started you couldn't get your hands on the surgical medical/paper masks so cloth was really the only choice. They are getting easier to find now. I do have a few cloth masks, but I have managed to order the paper ones so those are what I'm mostly using.

It's easy to order disposable masks in the US.
Cloth were an offered option because they are fast to make.
Most people I know use a combo, sometimes cloth, sometimes disposable.

I’m in Canada, and I’ve seen them sold online, but public health is discouraging people from wearing the disposable medical ones, telling people to save them for front line workers who need them.

This was a 2015 study about mask use by medical staff within a hospital. The cloth mask use led to a higher instance of respiratory infections. Which makes sense if you are walking around all day in one of the filthiest places on earth (an average hospital).

The authors of the study have added a note since the onset of Covid-19 where they clarified that medical workers should not work without adequate PPE but if they must or choose to do so, "the physical barrier provided by a cloth mask may afford some protection, but likely much less than a surgical mask or a respirator."

I don't think anyone is suggesting that hospital workers should be able to get by with a bandana.

I’m in Canada, and I’ve seen them sold online, but public health is discouraging people from wearing the disposable medical ones, telling people to save them for front line workers who need them.
These aren't disposable special medical ones. Check Amazon.
We are all saving the special medical masks for the front lines.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!