Just wanted a space to share....

DrunkJam

DIS Veteran
:jumping1:

I have a 9 year old son, who has ASD. He has almost total lack of cross midline communication (He can't get his limbs to communicate across the middle of his body.) His physiotherapist told me it is a miracle he can do up buttons on his own, and ride a bike.

Well, today, I taught him to do the one thing they told me he would DEFINITELY *NEVER* be able to do.

He learnt to tie his shoe laces! BY HIMSELF!!!!

:jumping1:

For anyone who is looking for tips, we used this way

It's not how I tie mine, and it's not how I originally tried to teach him, but... IT WORKS!

My kiddos had mid-line problems, too. Thankfully, they both resolved. I'm proud of your son! That's awesome!

My kiddos had mid-line problems, too. Thankfully, they both resolved. I'm proud of your son! That's awesome!
I have to say, I had never even heard of it before the physiotherapist explained it to me. She had him do the little er touching test thing to show me what she meant, and it made me cry, I didn't know it was even a possible thing!
I am so proud of him right now. And he is so excited, because NOW he can choose ANY shoes, trainers, sneakers etc that he wants!

My kids have/had ATNR. Both of the little two. They diagnosed it in the middle and then were on the look out with the little one.

I was just thinking that he had a world of shoe possibilities open up to him. ;) I love shoes, so that would make me crazy happy.

My kids have/had ATNR. Both of the little two. They diagnosed it in the middle and then were on the look out with the little one.

I was just thinking that he had a world of shoe possibilities open up to him. ;) I love shoes, so that would make me crazy happy.

He LOVES shoes! He really is excited to choose from more!

I had never heard of ATNR. Thanks for posting that. DS was diagnosed at autistic not long after he was 5. His physio said this this lack of cross mid line communication is quite common with his type of autism. They got him to try to touch his left ear with his right hand. He touched his left ear wth his left hand and REALLY couldn't see what he was doing differently. He couldn't do it the other way.

It was one of those things I didn't know people couldn't do, iyswim? Like the day I learnt he didn't know smiling was happy (We worked on what expressions look like and what they mean, and he does a lot better with this now)

Honestly, parenting him has been a world of new...

He LOVES shoes! He really is excited to choose from more!

I had never heard of ATNR. Thanks for posting that. DS was diagnosed at autistic not long after he was 5. His physio said this this lack of cross mid line communication is quite common with his type of autism. They got him to try to touch his left ear with his right hand. He touched his left ear wth his left hand and REALLY couldn't see what he was doing differently. He couldn't do it the other way.

It was one of those things I didn't know people couldn't do, iyswim? Like the day I learnt he didn't know smiling was happy (We worked on what expressions look like and what they mean, and he does a lot better with this now)

Honestly, parenting him has been a world of new...

My "baby" (now 7) has ASD. She, too, was diagnosed with autism when she was five. She was already attending a developmental preschool for her ATNR and speech delays and we all kind of suspected she had autism. Middle dd who did have ATNR does NOT have autism. The autism link is interesting. I'm in touch with dd's preschool OT, so I'll have to ask about that.

Parenting the baby has been...an experience. She's fabulous, but she can be a challenge.

I am so happy for you and your son! You sound like an amazing mom, who won't give up or take no for your son. Keep up the good work!!!

I am so happy for you and your son! You sound like an amazing mom, who won't give up or take no for your son. Keep up the good work!!!
Aww, thank you so much... It's all such tiny steps that it often seems impossible. So, days like today are really, really special.

Aww, thank you so much... It's all such tiny steps that it often seems impossible. So, days like today are really, really special.
I know that feeling! We as parents of special kids get to experience the lowest of lows, but we also get the highest highs that others take for granted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!