Just stayed at FOUR different DVC hotels in a week. Some thoughts - Grand Floridian edition

Peter T.

Earning My Ears
Hey all - so we just stayed at four different DVC hotels in a week from 12/13-12/20. I definitely have a lot of thoughts on these for sure, as they were all my first experience staying at them.

1. Animal Kingdom Lodge (1 BR - Kidani)
2. Polynesian (Studio)
3. Old Key West (1 BR - Home resort)
4. Grand Floridian (1 BR)

As the title states, these are some thoughts about Grand Floridian exclusively. I’ll make some posts about the other resorts as time allows. Background - my wife and I have watched I think every episode of the DVC Show on YT. It’s great and informative and definitely thankful that something like this exists. Neither of us have ever stayed at GF before so we definitely wanted to take the opportunity to do so, as this year was our 5 year wedding anniversary. Like a little treat of sorts.

1. The outside is of course beautiful. Inside the lobby is quite lovely, especially during the holidays. It’s definitely a little ‘stuffy’ as I think PW has mentioned. That’s really up to you personally and up for interpretation. I mean, imagine if you have to wear the Mary Poppins getup vs wearing a lei and Hawaiian shirt at Poly.

2. However, you’re not staying in the lobby. You’re going to your room. Mine was a 1 Bedroom, Lake View. Definitely not cheap (40-something points - equivalent to a few nights at Poly). Staying here, as a DVC member, is a bit different than we imagined. I didn’t realize how far away the DVC building is from the rest. It’s far enough that I wish I had had a bicycle to get back and forth with. This wouldn’t be an issue really, if not for a few things:
- It’s an outdoor corridor to get back and forth from, and it down poured one of the nights.
- It was really chilly out, and while I’m fine, the food I had to get for my family wasn’t.

3. This sort of goes back to what someone on the show was saying (Jackie maybe?) - there needs to be SOMETHING there for DVC owners at the DVC portion. A quick service, a shop, SOMETHING. If you’re staying there and your wife says to you “I sure would like a pastry or Mickey bar” this is a 45 minute excursion. Not asking for a table service, full stop restaurant, but can we something akin to what a regular Hilton or most other hotels have?

4. The room at FIRST GLANCE was nice. In the same style as some of the other resorts but just with nicer things. Nicer moulding. Nicer cabinets. Nicer fridge. Bedroom was spacious. Bathroom and tub were nice. We had a Lake View room, and that was nice as well.
Upon further inspection while staying....

5. This was probably the worst room we had in our entire stay.
- PW mentioned about a water ring on the coffee table when he stayed there. Pete - I see your one ring and raise you four on the dining room table. (Sorry, wouldn’t let me link the photo above).
- The fridge door was thisclose to falling off the hinges. You had to pick up the door to fully close it.
- The dishwasher was rusted inside with some sort of soap film all through it. It creaks when you open and close it and is definitely not suitable.
- This trundle bed should have had the warning that Riviera’s got. It had a rail on it that folds down, except the screws on both ends of it were completely loose and as such basically useless. I didn’t trust this bed and we had my two year old sleep in the King bed.
- The rug in the main room slips all over the floor. When it does, you see all of the dirt that has probably been there since who knows when.
- Where are all of the outlets? Man, there’s a lack of them here and is definitely noticeable vs all of the other resorts we stayed at.
- The cable wire was sticking out and running to the TV. Just not a good look. It looked like if my wife wanted me to hang the TV in our living room and gave me an hour to do it.
- At night, the cabinets looked okay. When the sun came up and was shining through our not-so-clean patio doors, you could see every single paint job done to them. While white paint was used, the patches seemed to be semi-gloss while the cabinets were eggshell. Again, not a good look.
- There was a dirty washcloth hanging in the shower from the last guest, on the clothesline which also wasn’t retracted.
- The switches on the jacuzzi tub were all broken.

6. The quick service (Gasparilla Grill) was nice. Definitely was one of the best we’ve been to (this was for breakfast and for also late night). The food costs there were SIGNIFICANTLY lower than what I was expecting. I would be a little hesitant though to call it ‘quick.’ Evening/late night was a 30 minute wait on food-to-go (just 20$ worth of food, nothing crazy). Also not a lot of people in there at the time either. Next morning’s breakfast was around a 30-40 minute wait.

7. Staff was nice and friendly. The DVC staff was especially nice. We didn’t have any run-ins (thankfully) like PW had on his stay.

8. All of these things being said, this is probably the last time that we’ll ever stay there. The amount of points that it costs vs what you can get in other resorts - that cost/value ratio isn’t there for me. It may be for you, and hey that’s great. My thought is that you are paying a lot for the outside of building - not the inside.

What are your thoughts? I truly do not mean to sound like Petty Roosevelt, but this being the deluxe, flagship Disney resort and with the cost involved, I feel they should be scrutinized rightly along with it. Also if you made it this far, whatever your own thoughts are on this or your own reflections, thanks for reading and hanging with me :0)

Hey all - so we just stayed at four different DVC hotels in a week from 12/13-12/20. I definitely have a lot of thoughts on these for sure, as they were all my first experience staying at them.

2. Polynesian (Studio)

As the title states, these are some thoughts about Grand Floridian exclusively. I’ll make some posts about the other resorts as time allows. Background - my wife and I have watched I think every episode of the DVC Show on YT. It’s great and informative and definitely thankful that something like this exists. Neither of us have ever stayed at GF before so we definitely wanted to take the opportunity to do so, as this year was our 5 year wedding anniversary. Like a little treat of sorts.

1. The outside is of course beautiful. Inside the lobby is quite lovely, especially during the holidays. It’s definitely a little ‘stuffy’ as I think PW has mentioned. That’s really up to you personally and up for interpretation. I mean, imagine if you have to wear the Mary Poppins getup vs wearing a lei and Hawaiian shirt at Poly.

2. However, you’re not staying in the lobby. You’re going to your room. Mine was a 1 Bedroom, Lake View. Definitely not cheap (40-something points - equivalent to a few nights at Poly). Staying here, as a DVC member, is a bit different than we imagined. I didn’t realize how far away the DVC building is from the rest. It’s far enough that I wish I had had a bicycle to get back and forth with. This wouldn’t be an issue really, if not for a few things:
- It’s an outdoor corridor to get back and forth from, and it down poured one of the nights.
- It was really chilly out, and while I’m fine, the food I had to get for my family wasn’t.

3. This sort of goes back to what someone on the show was saying (Jackie maybe?) - there needs to be SOMETHING there for DVC owners at the DVC portion. A quick service, a shop, SOMETHING. If you’re staying there and your wife says to you “I sure would like a pastry or Mickey bar” this is a 45 minute excursion. Not asking for a table service, full stop restaurant, but can we something akin to what a regular Hilton or most other hotels have?

4. The room at FIRST GLANCE was nice. In the same style as some of the other resorts but just with nicer things. Nicer moulding. Nicer cabinets. Nicer fridge. Bedroom was spacious. Bathroom and tub were nice. We had a Lake View room, and that was nice as well.

- PW mentioned about a water ring on the coffee table when he stayed there. Pete - I see your one ring and raise you four on the dining room table. (Sorry, wouldn’t let me link the photo above).
- The fridge door was thisclose to falling off the hinges. You had to pick up the door to fully close it.
- The dishwasher was rusted inside with some sort of soap film all through it. It creaks when you open and close it and is definitely not suitable.
- This trundle bed should have had the warning that Riviera’s got. It had a rail on it that folds down, except the screws on both ends of it were completely loose and as such basically useless. I didn’t trust this bed and we had my two year old sleep in the King bed.
- The rug in the main room slips all over the floor. When it does, you see all of the dirt that has probably been there since who knows when.
- Where are all of the outlets? Man, there’s a lack of them here and is definitely noticeable vs all of the other resorts we stayed at.
- The cable wire was sticking out and running to the TV. Just not a good look. It looked like if my wife wanted me to hang the TV in our living room and gave me an hour to do it.
- At night, the cabinets looked okay. When the sun came up and was shining through our not-so-clean patio doors, you could see every single paint job done to them. While white paint was used, the patches seemed to be semi-gloss while the cabinets were eggshell. Again, not a good look.
- There was a dirty washcloth hanging in the shower from the last guest, on the clothesline which also wasn’t retracted.

6. The quick service (Gasparilla Grill) was nice. Definitely was one of the best we’ve been to (this was for breakfast and for also late night). The food costs there were SIGNIFICANTLY lower than what I was expecting. I would be a little hesitant though to call it ‘quick.’ Evening/late night was a 30 minute wait on food-to-go (just 20$ worth of food, nothing crazy). Also not a lot of people in there at the time either. Next morning’s breakfast was around a 30-40 minute wait.

7. Staff was nice and friendly. The DVC staff was especially nice. We didn’t have any run-ins (thankfully) like PW had on his stay.

8. All of these things being said, this is probably the last time that we’ll ever stay there. The amount of points that it costs vs what you can get in other resorts - that cost/value ratio isn’t there for me. It may be for you, and hey that’s great. My thought is that you are paying a lot for the outside of building - not the inside.

What are your thoughts? I truly do not mean to sound like Petty Roosevelt, but this being the deluxe, flagship Disney resort and with the cost involved, I feel they should be scrutinized rightly along with it. Also if you made it this far, whatever your own thoughts are on this or your own reflections, thanks for reading and hanging with me :0)
So did you fire off an email to Member Satisfaction to let them know of the problems in your villa? That's the only way they get fixed.

We stayed @ VGF in 2015 (about a year after opening) and everything was lovely. Personally, I think that all the resorts tend to look a bit shabby near the end of their 7-year refresh cycle. I try to stay at resorts that are 1-3 years into the cycle. That way the bugs have been worked out from the previous refurb but the heavy usage the units get hasn't yet taken it's toll.

I've stayed in 1BRs numerous times at VGF and think it's great. Our rooms have always been well-maintained. I've never had any of the room problems you have mentioned. The Master bath has 2 sinks to expedite things. Also, it only takes a couple of minutes once exiting the DVC building to get to main building, and another minute to get to Gasparilla's. Are you sure you didn't walk to the POLY? Plus, Gasparilla's is open 24/7. Further, you are completely undercover walking to he main building.

We enjoyed a lovely stay the the VGF last November. Lovely lobby and the CMs were so friendly. Our one bedroom was in very good shape and loved watching the monorail glide by. It is my absolute favorite DVC resort! Having said that. I was not a fan of the walk from the villas building to the main building. Perhaps it is just a five minute walk but it felt much much much further to me and DH. Now we are both out of our 40's and DH out of his 50's but still that walk was inconvenient to the main building. Other than that, it is our favorite but between that walk and the high nightly point cost we will not be back unless it is for a special occasion.

We enjoyed a lovely stay the the VGF last November. Lovely lobby and the CMs were so friendly. Our one bedroom was in very good shape and loved watching the monorail glide by. It is my absolute favorite DVC resort! Having said that. I was not a fan of the walk from the villas building to the main building. Perhaps it is just a five minute walk but it felt much much much further to me and DH. Now we are both out of our 40's and DH out of his 50's but still that walk was inconvenient to the main building. Other than that, it is our favorite but between that walk and the high nightly point cost we will not be back unless it is for a special occasion.

Being almost out of my 60's w/i a few months, I guess I'm glad I still enjoy the walk and can't wait until I can walk to MK from VGF like I do from BLT.

Last edited:
Being almost out my 60's w/i a few months, I guess I'm glad I still enjoy the walk and can't wait until I can walk to MK from VGF like I do from BLT.
Kudos to you! I totally admit me and DH are out of shape! LOL! We could probably run a marathon if we trained for it! Getting us in better shape is on my list of things to do in 2020! I want to be able to say what you just said when I am almost out of my 60's!

I was glad I didn’t have younger children when staying at VGF since that was a long walk. One of the most impressive things I find about Riviera pictures is their highly themed walk to the gondola station.

However, walking from VGF into the magnificent GF lobby and catching some live music generally made the walk more than worth it.

I also really, really liked GG.
I do think there’s an opportunity to have more regular food service at the pool bar (which would be a reasonable distance to VGF). It seems weird they close the food/bar when the pool has to close with a lightening threat.

I know you mentioned issues were sent to membership satisfaction but did you go down to the front desk while you were there, especially about the trundle?

I have found that when I enter and find something wrong, it is more apparent to me that maybe the previous guest didn’t mention because it might have been minor and not been a big deal to them.

We recently had an issue at BLT about the air flow and they sent up maintenance a few times, it seemed fixed but never got cool. When we checked out, I mentioned again that they might want to check the thermostat since it never went below 76, no matter what we did.

I too have had to wait for food, There is an alternative way to go by staying under the covered walkway if it was raining vs, going behind the pool. It takes a little longer.

Sorry it wasn’t the experience you had hoped for,

We had a great studio last September. We don’t find the walk very long. Now the walk from Moorea building at the Poly was long and uncovered. Our room was in great shape. I guess there will always be rooms a little more worn than others.

We absolutely love the quiet pool at VGF. And quick proximity to Poly for dining. YMMV.

Before ever going to WDW, I've stayed in all the DLP hotels except the Disneyland Hotel because of the very high cost. The DLP DIsneyland Hotel is modelled on the GF, so staying there (well, at the VGF) was a sort of realized dream. I liked it a lot and I had a great stay; I had the same standard view that KBoo posted in another thread which for a standard was quite a premium one!
However the point chart is fit for a flagship resort. If I stay at SSR standard, AKV standard or OKW (all easy to book) and rent the point difference, I can pay for the Deluxe Dining Plan. So for the same amount of points what's better, VGF standard or SSR standard with the dining plan included? I'm not so sure the VGF wins.

Last edited:
This fall we stayed at VGF in a 2 bedroom lake view. At a glance the room was beautiful. The kitchen in our room was very rough. I agree with the OP. VGF is has some years on it and is showing its age. Most of the problem was with the cabinet doors and the refrigerator door. They made the cabinet doors out of the wrong material. It should be made out of wood, not a fiber press board. When the paint peels and a little water gets on it it swells. My guess this is due to housekeeping keeping them clean, which is a good thing. Here are some pics. The issue fridge door is the handle is in the wrong place, so when you close it you put your hand on the paint. Paint wears or gets dirty, they paint the small area. This area was sticky. We loved the resort. The room condition did not effect us. I agree the walk to Gasparilla Grill is longer than it should be. The food there is great for QS food. When you pick something up and walk back to your villa and you get back and they gave you one wrong meal, the walk is long.

Attachments

• EB6E9FEB-EF40-4607-BD2B-CA4DF290D74F.jpeg
    EB6E9FEB-EF40-4607-BD2B-CA4DF290D74F.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 25
  • E7796170-F97F-4059-A5A4-FDFD4E5C1765.jpeg
    E7796170-F97F-4059-A5A4-FDFD4E5C1765.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 05B58313-4BE5-4DA5-A8C7-61673A815519.jpeg
    05B58313-4BE5-4DA5-A8C7-61673A815519.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 496B2B5C-63C3-4E6D-920C-EDAA33C7D8B5.jpeg
    496B2B5C-63C3-4E6D-920C-EDAA33C7D8B5.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 54B770AC-C410-42B1-8B11-6370F30B4AA3.jpeg
    54B770AC-C410-42B1-8B11-6370F30B4AA3.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
That’s very odd for your GF one bedroom. We stay in the GF villas frequently and they are always pristine. They are our favorite villas, room wise, on property. We’ve stayed in every villas except OKW and the treehouses.

2. Polynesian (Studio)

You can buy food and drink at the pool bar right next to VGF, there is something for DVC members right there.

I think the OP is exaggerating the time it takes to walk from the DVC rooms to the GF quick service restaurant. At tops it’s a 5 minute walk. The DVC rooms are not that far away from the main building.

Me too

And it is a covered walk at that.

when the pool is closed you can’t buy anything at the pool bar. You want a pastry at 8:00 am no pool bar.

You can buy food and drink at the pool bar right next to VGF, there is something for DVC members right there.

And a soda dispenser too. The walk to Gasperiila is certainly no worse than the walk to Captain Cooks or the walk to the Contemp lobby from BLT.

Seems like people are complaining about GF just for fun at this point. It’s the cool thing to do after Pete’s post.

Want a warn out villas? Check out the Poly studios(we still love them).

If people want a Four Seasons theres literally one on property. But stop expecting Four Seasons level quality at the GF. It’s not going to happen. You’re paying for proximity not service level.

You bring up an interesting point. I always hear members talk about how "spread out" and how "far away" DVC buildings are from ceremonial house at Poly...and to me, it's less of an issue than what you mention at GF.

On top of that, we walked about double the amount of the distance from Moorea to GCH and TTC when walking down the hallway to our room at Kidani.

So, I just don't get it.

I look forward to getting a first hand look at GF during a stay this summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter