Just Remember to Beer Me at Mile 25 When I Do the Full Marathon - Jan 16 TR UPDATE 4/24 Pg. 8

Aha.....I totally thought Clinta was a server. Hahahahaha!
Clinta was one of the two bartenders Pat always looked for at Tambu Lounge because they could always be depended on. Clinta "disappeared" a while back and Pat finally found someone who told her where he worked now............ :thumbsup2

To give you an idea, here is a picture from the Princess Half. You get the lovely chance to run through the Magic Kingdom gate! Where the cars would normally be. :)
We were on the Magical Express that morning on our way to WL. We could see the water station that was set up behind the MK gate. We must have gone through the gates just a few hours after you went through there. We didn't run through that gateway when my sister and I ran the half marathon in 2002. We took the back roads in and I wasn't expecting to see the water station right there.

Our race finished in the Mk parking lot in the area near the Polynesian. We were able to walk to the Polynesian after the race. At that time the marathon and half marathon were run at the same time. The half marathoners split off and ran into the MK parking lot to finish their race while the marathoners continued on. It turned out that so many marathoners were cutting off and finishing at the half marathon finish that Disney decided to split the races into two separate days a couple a years later. From the description of your race, it seems like they doubled the amount of runners for each race, too.

FINALLY. We made it out. And had lost some time off of our pace. I wasn't worrying about it. Soon we were out of the Magic Kingdom and on the back service road. We would be coming up on mile 7 soon, which was by the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian. Our parents would be waiting there to cheer us on.
It looks like everyone is walking at this point. Was it too crowded to run?

Hahahahahahaha. Still cracks me up. I like to be dramatic when I know there is a camera around.
I love those pictures. :) It was nice that your parents could watch you run past.

The finish line was coming. And we HAULED!
I'm sorry to hear about your knee pain. I had trouble with my knee which started at mile ten. I ended up doing a lot of walking, too. But I ran at the end when the finish line was in sight. The adrenaline kicked in then. :)

Yay! We finished! And I was the proud owner of a new medal.
That is the best feeling ever. :) Congratulations to you and Caitlin.

I was so grateful to have Caitlin with me! I wasn't anticipating she would stay with me, and she definitely didn't have to.
That was really nice of Caitlin to stay with you, especially through the 8 minute potty stop. ;) It gave you someone to talk to through the long hours.

Oh, and I totally won at Fitbit today.
That makes it all worth it. :)

Last edited:
Congrats on finishing the race and fighting through your knee!!!! Beating your previous time or not, huge accomplishment

In case anyone ever wanted to know what it looks like when you arrive.

Weird to think that TONS of people are up at the same crazy time!

Onward! We hung out and had some pictures taken. Yes, I know my shirt has glitter on it, and I'm a non-glitter person. It was the only thing I could find when I needed it

Uh, but it's really cute!

Typically, before the race has even started, I clock about two miles of walking. So, you get a good warmup ahead of time!

Way to get burned out before the race:confused3 But you're right, good warm up, just a long one.

half marathon in an hour and a half

:eek::faint: I would die!

I bet this part is pretty exciting though, as your corral is getting closer and closer.

:rotfl:Maybe she was delirious at this point, I mean, heck, I'd be at mile 3! :lmao:

And that is where everything came to a dead stand still. It felt like we stood there forever! Although in reality, I think it took us about 3-5 minutes to move through the castle. At a snails pace.

Why? Is it just the number of people trying to get through? And for everyone that is serious about keeping track of their time, do they just subtract the amount of minutes is spent waiting to pass through or do those minutes count against their personal time? (if that makes sense)

Okay so why does it look like you're running and everyone in front is walking?

:lmao:Caitlin!

:laughing::lmao::rotfl:Of course, I DIED LAUGHING!!!:rotfl2:

At that point, Caitlin urged me to just walk.

What a good friend. You need someone to push you along, but if you're in pain, glad she didn't tell you to suck it up and run.

Very awesome pic your mom got!

But I did what most people can't and that's finish a half marathon

EXACTLY :worship::worship::worship:

November 2016 - Avengers Half Marathon (Infinity Gauntlet Challenge) in Disneyland. I'll be doing the 10k and the half.
January 2017 - Donald Half Marathon (20th Anniversary!!) in WDW.
April 2017 - Dark Side Half Marathon (Challenge) in WDW. I'll be doing the 10k and the half.
January 2018 - Mickey Full Marathon in WDW. Get scared with me folks.

Good for you Danielle! I actually wouldn't mind attempting the small one they have at Disneyland (wait, is it a 5k or 10k??) cause so many people do these runDisney events, I feel like i'm missing out. I used to love to run in my early 20's, not sure how easy it would be to pick it up again.

This is really cool! I had no idea that FitBit did this! What a way to keep yourself motivated against your friends.

Catching up on all i am behind on!

Extra attention to all RunDisney info, as i have signed up for my very first RunDisney race in Disneyland in Sept!

I'm really late to this party, but I just stumbled on your report!

Great job on the race! I know it's not the outcome you wanted, but finishing a half marathon is a feat in itself. You should still be proud!

Can't wait to hear about your Pops new girlfriends lol

Enjoying your TR!! I just registered for my first half marathon (Princess in February!) -- and found your TR when I went looking.... Can't wait to hear more!

Hello from the other sideeeee.... hehe Just Joking.

Haven't been on the dis in a while. Just came to see if you had updated ;)

Hello from the other sideeeee.... hehe Just Joking.

Haven't been on the dis in a while. Just came to see if you had updated ;)

Hello!! I just got online to try to figure out why I no longer receive emails when someone replies to a thread I'm following. I think I figured it out and turned it back on. Now I just need to find out how to get a list of all the threads I'm listed as following. Have no idea. But since I've seen it before, I know it must be there somewhere.

Ok, I totally screwed it up. I thought if you went into the screen where it shows all your watched threads, I selected a couple old ones that I wanted to unwatch, then selected unwatch threads, and instead, it unwatched ALL my threads? Any idea how to find a list of threads that I have "unwatched" so I can go back and watch them? This is terrible!! oy!! This is the ONLY thread I can currently get back to.

"I WON!!!!! Against My Fitbit Friends At Least......"

Let no person mistake it. Getting up for a race at 3am is not easy.

I didn't sleep really, which is par for the course. I don't think that Caitlin slept very well either. It's an anxious feeling. It's not nervousness, it's just anxiety. Nervous about oversleeping and having to rush, anxious about the race. We had crawled into bed at 9pm and were up before the alarm went off at 3am.

That was absolutely me. All night long I think.

Welp, that race wasn't going to run itself, so I suppose it was time to get up.

But first, stretching, which is an important component. I would stretch more when we got to our corral, but I wanted to get some time in. Caitlin stretched too.

And jumped around like the energizer bunny that she is.

We headed out of the room at about 3:30am. The last pickup was at 4am, so we were on the monorail at 3:40am. We should have walked to the TTC from the Poly, but I didn't think about it that early in the morning.

The monorail ride wasn't too crowded and we definitely didn't have to wait long.

In case anyone ever wanted to know what it looks like when you arrive.

Ha! Totally boring picture right? Ok, they do play music and they normally have an announcer up on the stage trying to keep people energized.

For those who haven't run a RunDisney event, I'll let you know things along the way. First here, you get to the race but you don't line up for it right away. This is kind of a mingling area if you will. Gear check is also there, in case you decide to bring anything along. I did gear check for the Princess and decided I wouldn't do it again. I have everything I need on my person, and have my Mom bring anything I might need after. If the P's weren't there, I would just head back to the room for anything I would need.

Cutting out gear check is a good way to save time and hassle. I recommend not using it unless absolutely necessary.

Onward! We hung out and had some pictures taken. Yes, I know my shirt has glitter on it, and I'm a non-glitter person. It was the only thing I could find when I needed it.

After about 30 minutes, they announced that it would be time to start heading to the corrals.

Another thing to note. The corrals are not close. You have to go on a fairly lengthy walk to get to your corrals. Typically, before the race has even started, I clock about two miles of walking. So, you get a good warmup ahead of time!

Once we made it to our corral, we took some pre-race selfies.

For the races, you're assigned a corral. You can get assigned a corral either by submitting proof of time, or winging it getting placed in one of the last five. The corrals up near the front are assigned by proving you can run a race in a certain amount of time. So those who can run a half marathon in an hour and a half are up front, then they do more corrals by about 15 minute intervals.

My proof of time put me in corral J. Caitlin didn't submit proof of time, so she was in K. RunDisney will not allow you to move up corrals, but you can move back. So I moved back to start in K. The last corral for the Donald half is corral P.

This is for a lot of reasons. It's best that you end up in corrals with people who are a similar speed as you. Otherwise, if you're in with people that are significantly faster, you can get swallowed up. And, it's an annoyance for them, because there's a big difference.

Once in the corrals, we took the time to stretch again. Better to use your time wisely.

Finally, the race started at 5:30am. First they send the wheelchair participants, and then the elite corral. That corral obviously will always hold the winner. They're insanely fast!

Once the proverbial gun went off, Caitlin and I downed our caffeinated sports beans. They take about 30 minutes to start working, so it was good that we took it then.

Little by little, the other corrals went, and we got closer.

And we were off! My initial goal for this race was to finish sooner than I had finished Princess. I've said before that I'm not a fast runner, but I was hoping to come in even a little before I did the last time.

Caitlin had said she was going to stick with me the entire time, so we could stay on track. I had a nagging pain behind my knee from a long run prior, so I was hoping I would be all good.

I don't have many pictures, because I'm the kind of person who focuses more on the run itself. I want to do better with that on upcoming races.

To give you an idea, here is a picture from the Princess Half. You get the lovely chance to run through the Magic Kingdom gate! Where the cars would normally be. :)

At this point, you're almost at mile 4. And at this moment, someone to the left of Caitlin and I said "we're halfway!"

Unless a half marathon became 8 miles, you are definitely not halfway my dear. I'm curious if she was trying to encourage her running partner, but at this point, Caitlin and I looked at each other like.....

We kept up with our pace until............the castle.

When you run into the Magic Kingdom, you run down Main Street towards the castle, and then take the right by Tomorrowland. The you run through Fantasyland and come back through the castle.

And that is where everything came to a dead stand still. It felt like we stood there forever! Although in reality, I think it took us about 3-5 minutes to move through the castle. At a snails pace.

FINALLY. We made it out. And had lost some time off of our pace. I wasn't worrying about it. Soon we were out of the Magic Kingdom and on the back service road. We would be coming up on mile 7 soon, which was by the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian. Our parents would be waiting there to cheer us on.

BUT FIRST...I had to potty.

Which wasted like 8 minutes! I learned from this for the Dark Side and opted for no potty stops. Because normally it's your bladder being nervous and you THINK you have to go, but you don't.

8 minutes and a porta potty visit later, I realized this.

Oh well. What can you do.

And at this point, I'm introducing you to the best series of pictures my Mom has even taken.

Just wait for it.

Hahahahahahaha. Still cracks me up. I like to be dramatic when I know there is a camera around.

After mile 8, the back of my knee was bothering me. We stopped by a medical station so I could use some biofreeze. It helped, but the pain was still there.

At that point, Caitlin urged me to just walk. We were more than halfway done, and we knew that there were a ton of uphill parts we would be contending with. So walking it was.

My walk isn't too slow, since I'm long legged, so that's a plus. But it was definitely not what I had wanted.

Getting closer and closer, we did see a Green Army man, so of course we had to get a shot with him.

My leg was still nagging me, but I kept on keeping on. There's nothing else you could do at this point.

The finish line was coming. And we HAULED!

Yay! We finished! And I was the proud owner of a new medal.

All in all, this race had it's ups and downs. I didn't finish faster than I finished the Princess, and I was a little upset about that. It's because I'm too competitive. But I did what most people can't and that's finish a half marathon. And just finished my third this last weekend.

RunDisney events are exhilarating! They're a great way to get yourself into running half marathons, because there are a ton of first timers out there. They're more relaxed than other races, which is a plus. You feel a little less pressure that way.

I was so grateful to have Caitlin with me! I wasn't anticipating she would stay with me, and she definitely didn't have to.

In case anyone is wondering, here are the races I have planned coming up:

November 2016 - Avengers Half Marathon (Infinity Gauntlet Challenge) in Disneyland. I'll be doing the 10k and the half.
January 2017 - Donald Half Marathon (20th Anniversary!!) in WDW.
April 2017 - Dark Side Half Marathon (Challenge) in WDW. I'll be doing the 10k and the half.
January 2018 - Mickey Full Marathon in WDW. Get scared with me folks.

Oh, and I totally won at Fitbit today.

Up next: Pop always finds girlfriends everywhere.

First of all, congrats on your race! Running long distance races is both addicting and rewarding as you mentioned in a earlier post, so I know the feeling. Your recap is extremely accurate to how I remember my first and only runDisney event, although a day later. The weather was just as warm and muggy on Sunday. Sorry to read you had a knee issue for the race as well, but I am glad you were able to continue the race. I noticed you have a few races coming up, both short term and long term. If you'd like there is a general running thread under "Just for Fun", then "runDisney" and you can find a thread called "The Running Thread". A lot of good information provided by the posters in the thread. As I am sure you know there are threads as well in there for all the major Disney races as well. Hope you have a chance to come partake in our little running discussion. Good luck with your upcoming races!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter