Just off the Fantasy- Crew still handling drinks & ice cream

Again, it makes sense on the cruise where the outbreak happened. NOT on the new cruise with people who were not exposed - especially when the crew ALL of whom WERE exposed are the people doing the handing out.

As has been said, norovirus can survive on surfaces for periods of time. Despite the best cleaning efforts, it was still possible for people to start getting sick on the next cruise from contaminated surfaces. I’m sure Disney was going to do everything possible to prevent it spreading if that did happen.

Would people seriously rather get sick that deal with a few extra precautions? That blows my mind.

I agree. Perhaps having someone there handing out sanitizer would be a better option?

I agree, would be hard at the drink station though trying to catch all the kids running in for more soda.

If it cuts down on the waste and constant mess that people leave behind...I'm all for it.

I agree with this 100%!
I seriously wouldn’t mind if they had a person there all the time. Thinking about kids grabbing the cups and cones and where their hands may have been really grosses me out :)

I agree, would be hard at the drink station though trying to catch all the kids running in for more soda.

I agree with this 100%!
I seriously wouldn’t mind if they had a person there all the time. Thinking about kids grabbing the cups and cones and where their hands may have been really grosses me out :)
Do you eat at fast food places that are self- service?

It seems bizarre to me that they are in essence punishing the following cruisers for illness that happened on an earlier cruise - unless there is a huge number of B2B cruisers who were ill on the one with the sickness, it is all different - and presumably not exposed - people.
I don't know if punishing is the right word, but I kind of agree with you. I wonder if the CDC requires them to do this for a certain number of cruises or if they get fined if there's another outbreak within a short amount of time.

Do you eat at fast food places that are self- service?

I wish I could! :)
I am in my 40s so I’m at the “if I think about fast food I gain 5 pounds” phase in life. I just made the comment because I have three children of my own, kids do not think twice about germs- Well mine don’t anyway :)

DS13 got sick the first night of our cruise. It was the soft serve ice cream that was melting quite quickly as it came out of the machine. He ate it anyway, not thinking that might be a problem. It was. He was throwing up all night and not able to enjoy food the next day. That was it for him, so it wasn't noro, but it still wasn't fun.

It's not punishing anyone. Punishment would be turning off the ice cream and soda completely. Its following the rules set by CDC to help protect everyone.
Both Disney and royal (and I assume others) have the same/similar procedures.
It's something like, once 5 cases are reported within 5 hours certain procedures get put in place, they then stay in place for (something like) 72 hours after the last case/certain percentage of sick is reached.
On a ship it tends to spread and stay till the end of the cruise, which means its not unusual for the first couple of days of the next cruise to be effected, even if there are no sick people on it.
Again. No punishment or drama intended. Just trying to keep well earned, expensive vacations as comfortable as possible with some tiny inconveniences.

Again, it makes sense on the cruise where the outbreak happened. NOT on the new cruise with people who were not exposed - especially when the crew ALL of whom WERE exposed are the people doing the handing out.

Yes, the cruisers are all new, but all of the surfaces....and I mean ALL of the surfaces are not new. And they only have so much time between cruises to clean. As stated, the virus can survive for awhile on surfaces. Someone may touch something that's not 100% OK, then touch something like the drink machines and so it spreads again. With the crew members handling food and drinks, they can isolate the situation better.

Punishment would be if they did not do all of these precautions and you got sick as a result.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter