Just needing reassurance re: DI&S

lalasmama

DIS Veteran
I promise this will be my last "cheap motel" post :)

Summary: Booked at DI&S for a "re-do" stay, hoping to like it better this time. Reassure me that it's going to be a fair stay. Have the beds improved with the remodel?

Long story: Four years ago, we had a few really unfortunate issues that soured us to DI&S. Multiple calls to see when we would be arriving, despite noting that we would be checking in around 11pm (they continued calling to see how much longer until we would be there; a storm delayed both legs of our flight). Chemical burn and folliculitis on my legs after a quick dip in the hot tub. Cancelling at 60 hours before check-in (sudden, unexpected death in the family), and they still made us pay for a room with no proof if they were able to rent it or not. We then called later to cancel our other stays there, and they said they cancelled them, but we then got a call asking about our upcoming stays... So, our opinion was not stellar.

But, it's been 4 years, and I'm in a cheap mood. If I don't start being "cheap" my Disneyland trips will start having to be spaced out. So, cheap it is.

I looked at DI&S. $104/night in Feb, 2019. That's approximately $40 less per night than my Castle Inn reservation. I booked it. That's saving me a lot of $$$ for Dole Whips.

Now I'm fretting. The pictures after the remodel look nice. Did they switch out mattresses? Are the pillows plentiful (or at least not flat)? Beyond the recent remodel, any other "big" changes that I should expect?

Thanks again for all the motel help. I feel like I've never spent this much time pouring over such a decision!

I feel your pain. I am looking for reassurance on Camelot Inn for our next trip late next year and I totally get it.

We stayed at Desert Inn and Suites in February 2014. Even though reviews were generally very positive we had a really terrible stay. So terrible my cheap self booked the Grand California for the next trip:rotfl2:

I haven't been there since the remodel so I can't help you there. But I can say that all of the things that I hated about Desert Inn had less to do with pillows and beds (they weren't great, but not deal killers) or the terrible showers (ugh) or the crappy bedding (ugh) or how it wasn't that clean. What pushed it over the edge for me was the paper thin walls and comically shabby exterior wall at the front of the room. No fault of our neighbors, their noise was absolutely reasonable but we could hear everything. And they weren't 'loud' people. I joked it was like having roommates. They sneezed and I had to catch myself to not say 'bless you'.

The trip after the Grand we booked Best Western Park Place Inn and it was great. I was so worried after Desert Inn! BWPPI was also motel, but I found it so much nicer than Desert Inn. The rooms were nicer, bedding nicer, neighbor noise was less, breakfast was much better, room was cleaner, shower better. And the whole front facing wall didn't literally shake when the maids rolled their carts by. Again, still a motel-but all things improved noticeably.

I am sorry if I am making this worse. So many people here and other disney places love that motel. Maybe we just had crappy luck. I sure loved the price-and the location is killer. If you go, maybe think about a noise machine or have a noise app ready on your phone. Maybe bring your favorite pillow.

I really hope you get a bunch of responses here! :disrocks:

We just stayed at Desert Inn at the end of August. It was a lovely stay. The beds are super comfortable. We had one of the biggest rooms, the C2 family parlor suite, which I highly recommend. Everything was clean, staff was friendly and most of the furniture was new. My kids went to the pool which had been rehabbed while we were there and it was perfectly fine. We had no issues whatsoever. I will say that the parlor room in our suite was very loud and I wouldn't have been able to sleep in it. However, the noise level in our separate bedrooms was relatively low and perfect with our white noise apps running. It was a slow week though so maybe the rooms are louder if they are lots of people in house? Or maybe I just have a different idea of loud since I have 4 kids who are, well, loud. We stayed for 6 nights and I see no reason to ever book anywhere else. The location is so convenient and the spacious rooms were perfect for our large family. We basically just sleep and shower at the hotel so there is no reason to spend 3x as much at a non-budget hotel.

As far as the cancellation issues, always make sure to get a cancellation number from them when you cancel and also they should send you a cancellation email. I had to cancel our April 2018 trip, canceled it 2 weeks before with no issues and rescheduled it to August 2018.

We've stayed there the past two Januarys and are staying again in January 2019. Prior to that, we'd stayed at the Del Sol. The only issue we've had in our two stays was the water pressure in the shower. Staff was super friendly, rooms were clean, beds were comfortable.

We stayed at Desert Inn and Suites in February 2014. Even though reviews were generally very positive we had a really terrible stay.

Original poster here. We were at DI&S at the same time, and had bad experiences at that trip. Hoping its better this upcoming trip!

We have stayed at DI&S in the past but stopped because the parking situation was horrible, the staff was unremarkable, and there were people walking past our room at all hours of the night.

We stayed there summer of 2017. It looked pretty shabby furniture-wise, but the remodel should take care of that. Our beds were very comfortable, and we didn’t have shower pressure problems. Maybe room location matters for that...we were in a C1 suite. The towels were thin, the breakfast was a waste of time, and I hate the parking. But we had no noise issues at all, and it was nice having enough beds for our family of five, without needing a rollaway, and without breaking the bank. Housekeeping kept our room very clean...no complaints there. While I prefer BWPPI myself, my young adult kids all prefer their own non rollaway bed, which I completely understand, so we have di&s booked for next summer, trying the B1 suite, which sounds like two connecting rooms. It makes me a little nervous, but it is what it is.

We stayed there in May- the main reason was the location and being able to have our whole party in connected rooms- my family had a 20 month old as did my sister, and the big room allowed each to be put to be in a room and then the central room where people could watch TV, play games etc. I def had issues pre-booking (they had my reservation on the wrong days which I found out when I called to change the rate to a special that came out, they couldn't seem to get my credit card on file etc and it took like 5 calls to sort it) and our stay wasn't great (housekeeping issues, etc) but the room configuration was great and the location can't be beat and the price was great so....

The consensus seems to be the suites are good and the single rooms are loud. This is actually good news for me. We would need a suite. Love homewood suites especially since we spend a lot of time in the room. But depending on price next trip these suites will be considered an option for us.

We just stayed there last month, in a suite. We liked it but it wouldn't be our first choice, I'd give it a 3.5. We booked last minute and got a really good rate. Bed was comfortable, bathroom was fine but location cannot be beat. They also have a roof deck where you can go and watch the fireworks. I could also see them from the room but my boys wanted to go up top. We are a family of 5 so the extra space was great and there aren't a whole lot of hotels that can sleep 5. The parking is awful and the first night we had to valet it because there was nothing left.

Have stayed there twice, once in a parlor suite top floor (March 2016), once in a single way back in the back on second floor (Sept. 2017). The parlor suite was good. I wear earplugs to sleep, so noise didn't bother me, but in the back of the property you do hear everything out on the walkway.

Shower pressure = terrible. Breakfast= pretty awful, but that's not a deal breaker for me, because we keep breakfast stuff in the room. Staff= reasonably friendly on our visits. They forgot to clean our room one day on our last visit. Room was reasonably clean otherwise, beds ok for us, but then we like firm mattresses.

Meh. If all you need is a place to crash and shower, you can't beat it for price plus location. Bring some kind of white noise device or app on your phone, or a fan, or earplugs.

It's our go to on Harbor if the price is right. I'm cheap. We sleep and shower and spend the rest of our time at the parks. It's definitely not fancy, but we haven't had any bad stays there and have four more trips booked next year.

I am also cheap. We usually stay at the Quality Inn on Manchester but they are closed for remodeling next year! So I've booked Desert Inn & Suites for next April. I like staying walking distance (we used to stay at the Carousel before it closed) AND close to Panera. We just need a place to sleep and shower as well. I sleep with earplugs at home and when I travel. Hoping it's decent stay! It's still not as cheap as Quality Inn though. o_O

The prices do keep going up. The C1 suite in summer 2017 was $219 a night...when I booked for summer 2019 is was $249 a night. It adds up when you stay for 6 nights!

The prices do keep going up. The C1 suite in summer 2017 was $219 a night...when I booked for summer 2019 is was $249 a night. It adds up when you stay for 6 nights!
Yikes. That sounds like why I didn’t stay there. $180 a night for comparative luxury at homewood suites in march.

Yep. It's a little bit of an ouch. You pay for that across from the park convenience!
I don’t mind if it was missing just one or two “amenities”... but it’s not. Bad breakfast, not great beds, loud on our stay. Bad pool.

With little kids we spend a lot of time in the room.

Next adult trip I’m at BWPPI

I just stayed there on Tuesday night for a whirlwind trip for the Halloween Party. I had a king room right over the lobby (room 198) and felt it was decent for the amount of time I stayed there. (Got in around 3:30pm, left the next day at about 6am.) The room had a corner shower, pressure was adequate. Bed was on the firmer side, and I felt there were enough pillows. It actually felt closer (and it just may well be) than the DLH where I usually stay. I had originally booked the Grand Legacy, but made the switch for a lower price and points from SWA.

We just stayed there last month, in a suite. We liked it but it wouldn't be our first choice, I'd give it a 3.5. We booked last minute and got a really good rate. Bed was comfortable, bathroom was fine but location cannot be beat. They also have a roof deck where you can go and watch the fireworks. I could also see them from the room but my boys wanted to go up top. We are a family of 5 so the extra space was great and there aren't a whole lot of hotels that can sleep 5. The parking is awful and the first night we had to valet it because there was nothing left.
Wonderful to hear about the rooftop deck for fireworks! Last year we took the older brother of the kiddo this upcoming year (we do each grandkid after 1st grade), and one of holder's favorite memories was watching the fireworks in his jammies a few nights (most notably, the arrival night). With a rooftop deck, we could still let him wear jammies to go up and watch :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter