Just needed a little cheer up

Belle1962

DIS Veteran
Hi ya'll. I posted back in January (thoughts from a first time wheeler) about my first experience with a wheelchair at WDW. Well, the great news is that DH & I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary at WDW April 22 - 27. The bad news is: I am not making as much progress as I thought I would and am afraid I may need a wheelchair again. (ECV is out because I'm not exactly the world's best driver of anything--bikes, cars, strollers, etc. --DH would much rather push me than let me loose on the public :D ). I just re-read my post and thought--WOW I had a really good attitude (after the trip), BUT it is now over 17 months since that darn car rear-ended me and it's time to be moving on. (Note to brain: please pass that message on to neck and back). I just am feeling a bit disappointed that my "ideal" anniversary/honeymoom (we had a familymoon when we got married) may be spent with part of it in a wheelchair (AGAIN). I know I have no right to feel this way when I am blessed at not having been more seriously injured or even killed in the accident. I know there are people who are totally dependent on ecv, wheelchairs and other devices and I should be grateful for what I have. But all of those "old fears" about what will people think, I look healthy, I don't want my DH pushing me (I can't push myself because of the motion required), are coming back.

Oh well, thanks for leting me vent.

You know re-reading this I think "what a whiner" but I'll post it anyway...

I don't think you are a whiner. {{{{{hugs}}}}

All of us mourn our losses - it comes back to us at different and sometimes unexpected times, over time, even long after we thought we 'got over' the loss. Sad, but normal.

Why don't you go back and read the posts about staring and using wheelchairs... check out the new FAQ (the link is in my signature profile, below) and you will find the links to those posts on the main page of the FAQ.

I know it hurts. You are right to be thankful for what you have, but I think you are entitled to a little mourning as well.

galc.gif
DIS disABILITIES Discussion Board FAQ under construction!
"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

I think is good to vent your dissapointments. I know that it always makes me feel a little better. I am sure once your are there you will have a wonderful time!! :)

Cheer Up! You know you are a little down in the dumps and what better place to Vent than here! Now we can all remind you of what an awesome time you will have and that you will be with your DH who loves you dearly. Progress will be made even if it is slower than you thought, don't forget to enjoy today because tomorrow it will be just a memory. Have a GREAT anniversary and remember you will be able to spend it a place where it is O.K. to be in wheelchair no matter what! :)

Belle,
My husband used to be like that, But I did learn to use the EMV and now the power wheelchair. And I love my independence!
You can learn.
It is normal for us to mourn our losses. Each thing we give up is something to mourn. And it takes time to get on with it. Take each day one at a time.
Have agreat trip

Pooh Bear

I don't think you're a whiner at all. It's hard to be able to do something all your life and then not be able to do it if even for a few days.

I have CP and use an ECV everyday because my university is too big for me to walk around as much as I'd like to and did at my high school but this past December I dislocated my knee and had to wear a straight brace and I couldn't walk at all, my butt has never been so sore so even those of us with disabilities feel strange to be temporarily more disabled

I think a little whining (a don't forget a good cleansing cry) is good for all of us once in a while. We just got back from WDW and it was as wonderful as the last time. We ran into a couple of nasty stare-ers, but most people were nice. A lot held the do or open for us. The very best person was a mom with 3 small kids who were getting a drink at a fountain. She saw that I was having trouble with DD who was leaning way over in her wheelchair, putting on the brakes while I was pushing, etc. to avoid going w here we needed to go. This kind soul (did I mention she had 3 little kids) asked if I needed any help. I was ready to saint her right there. The nice people will help make your trip wonderful and anyone who isn't nice has no right to judge you. Go and have the fun you deserve.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter