Just need some empathy...

I'm covered in hives. I've gone through every bite I put into my mouth, and either there was cross contamination someplace (doubtful based on what I ate) or I've suddenly developed a new allergy. :sad1: It was bad enough that I slept with the Epi-Pen on my nightstand last night.

Allergies suck.

Anne

Are you under alot of stress? My friend breaks out in hives when she is stressed out.

Thanks for everyone's good thoughts and suggestions. I'm not under any more stress than usual, so I don't think it's that. And I don't think it's environmental in nature for many reasons.

I was beat when I got home last night, so I had a bowl of Fruit Loops, second ingredient after sugar is Corn. Half an hour later I was covered in hives again. I'm going to avoid corn for a few days until this is all out of my system, then eat some corn and see what happens. I'm strongly suspecting that I've developed a corn allergy. Ugh! It's in EVERYTHING!

I'll let you know!

And I'm now covered in bruises from all the scratching--oh so attractive. :rolleyes: I look like I went three rounds with Tyson. Thank goodness I don't get them on my face, just my scalp and chin for some reason--not that I'm complaining!

Anne

Eliminating the corn in your diet sounds like a smart experiment. However, what came to my mind first is the thought that you might be coming down with a virus. DD used to get hives whenever she had a virus, and I've heard that there are quite a few people getting hives from the viruses that are circulating this year. Whatever the cause, I hope they go away soon for you.

well- i guess suggesting a cornstarch bath won't be the best option then...when i was a kid i found them soothing, but i don't want to think about the results if it IS corn you're allergic to!

be very careful to read everything if you're going to eliminate corn. it shows up everywhere!

you may need to go on a more formal elimination diet if it ends up not getting better with the elimination of the corn.

i'm so sorry you're not feeling well. i'm wishing you the best for a speedy resolution and good health!!!!!

I'm strongly suspecting that I've developed a corn allergy.
Does this mean you won't be able to eat canned corn at WDW?:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry about your hives and potential allergy, but I just couldn't resist thinking about the "corn people" at WDW.

I'm sorry! I have only had hives once...stress! So, don't forget to rule that out too.

Does this mean you won't be able to eat canned corn at WDW?:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry about your hives and potential allergy, but I just couldn't resist thinking about the "corn people" at WDW.

OMG!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: That is too funny! I had forgotten all about that thread until you had to go bring it up again! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I'm more likely to be hanging out with the KoRn people at WDW though... ;)

Anne

Good luck figuring it out.

My environmental allergies have changed, over time, with how they affect me.

It sounds like you might well be right about the corn, but you may want to also watch for all of your known allergies too.

Also, do you have any drug allergies? If so, it is possible that the meat you ate is responsible.

I used to have a corn allergy when I was younger and I really can sympathise with you on this one, it was quite tough doing America with it (we don't use so much corn in our food in the UK, so it wasn't such a problem at home). Also, you've probably already thought of this, but look out for all the different names and forms it comes under.

I do hope you get better soon and figure out what the problem was :hug:

Yesterday I completely avoided all corn based products. Special K and a banana for breakfast, salad with a no-corn balsamic dressing for lunch, and an Egg Beaters omlette with tomotoes, onions, and cheese for dinner. (When you're scrounging through the fridge and find Egg beaters getting ready to expire, it's breakfast for dinenr. :upsidedow :blush: )

I'm happy to say that while I still have a few small patches of hives which aren't all that itchy anymore, they are going away rather quickly at this point.

I'm going to avoid the corn again today, and then maybe have something with corn tomorrow to see what happens. I'm definitely leaning towards corn as the culprit.

I'll let you all know.

Anne

INTERESTING! And, of course, corn is another one of those "hidden in so many things" oil/thickener/binder items

ok--please give us the link--i want a good laugh, too....
I'm pretty sure the thread has been lost in the old archives, but it originally involved a family spotted eating corn straight from the can - I think it was at MK sitting on the steps. The funny part was all of the takeoffs that people wrote about this - including one re-staging of the event with pictures.

I'm pretty sure the thread has been lost in the old archives, but it originally involved a family spotted eating corn straight from the can - I think it was at MK sitting on the steps. The funny part was all of the takeoffs that people wrote about this - including one re-staging of the event with pictures.

I'm afraid you're right that it's lost forever. It was one of those all-time classic DIS threads. :lmao: It was back in the days of talking about turkey legs actually being emu legs. :scared:

There was another one even longer ago about a family hacking up a watermelon with a large knife in the MK as well--although that might have been started as a RAD-P thread, so it might still be "findable" over there.

Anne

....... we've been dealing with a stopped pipe in the master bath, and I didnt' want to put that much water down at once until I was sure the Liquid Plumber stuff had cleared it up. Maybe tonight.

Anne

The chemicals in drain cleaners might be part of the problem...

But it sounds like the corn is the culprit.

Feel better!

:sunny:

Corn. Man, that is a tough one. I'm lucky that my DD is simply peanut and tree nut allergic. I just keep thinking about how high fructose corn syrup is in everything.

Something to consider...My friend's son, who is allergic to corn, could not eat chicken or beef for awhile. This was not because he was allergic to chicken or beef, but to what the chicken and beef were fed -- CORN.

Sorry. This really stinks.

DVCDawn

Just a thought - I react with hives when I'm around bug spray- could your work place have sprayed for insects lately? It wouldn't have to bother you just at work because coats and personnal belongings can pickup the residue and bring it home.

:surfweb:

hi, Anne!

Hope you're feeling better now. I feel you've become a friend through your helpful posts on other threads, with so many helpful suggestions on cooking, diets, household budgeting, etc. I'm so sorry to hear about your hives.

I had a severe case of hives once--it was an allergy to a medicine. I had hives everywhere--even on the soles of my feet! I even had hives on top of hives--they seemed to be stacked on top of each other, sort of like a beehive! I went to the ER and they gave me an IV drip of cortisone, kept me overnight for observation, and sent me home with benedryl and prednisone. I hope your's isn't that bad! Good luck and stay in touch!:grouphug:

Just a thought - I react with hives when I'm around bug spray- could your work place have sprayed for insects lately? It wouldn't have to bother you just at work because coats and personnal belongings can pickup the residue and bring it home.

:surfweb:

Nope, he comes every three months, and it was about two months ago when he was last there.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter