"Just Keep Swimming": An Odyssey to the Enchanted 10k 2017 (July 12th Update)

Love your story. It's truly laudable that you're teaching in an area that needs passionate teachers that care about their students and the education they receive. My friend worked in Harlem straight out of school and couldn't take it and now works at one of the poshest schools in NYC. The stories she told me were heart breaking. Please continue - I really believe a strong education is so powerful!

Also great job running!

I sincerely thought with enough passion, I could make it work in Philly. But when I had a principal who came in and verbally abused me in front of my students, an arm and two fingers broken by my students... I was done. Not to mention I had to buy everything for my students from pencils to toilet paper.

Thanks for you support!

Picked up my t-shirt and race bib for my race on Saturday, today.

I'm running as number 97--- the number I wore on my sports jerseys (I played softball and ice hockey) my entire life (9 and 7 are my favorite numbers). Hope this is a good sign. I'm very excited about Saturday!

What are the odds? I think it means you're destined for something special! And if it rains, don't worry about it. Just think you're getting a free water spritz to keep you cool!

I went against myself and signed up for a 5k for this coming weekend. I feel a bit more confident and I figured it will be good practice for races I can try to PR in, in the fall.

I also signed up for a virtual race through Nerd Herd because it had to do with Doctor Who and I love Doctor Who (hence the username) and I hate cancer. Hoping to do it on Wednesday as a training run for my real life 5k on Saturday.

I also joined The Hogwarts Running Club. Looks like an interesting group of walkers and runners who are kind and supportive (like here!)

May have to check out this Doctor Who virtual. Is there a cool medal? :)

I sincerely thought with enough passion, I could make it work in Philly. But when I had a principal who came in and verbally abused me in front of my students, an arm and two fingers broken by my students... I was done. Not to mention I had to buy everything for my students from pencils to toilet paper.

Thanks for you support!

My friend had similar issues. But teaching is super tough work so it's great that you've found a healthy stress outlet, especially one that also indulges your other interests (like Disney and Doctor Who)! :)

May have to check out this Doctor Who virtual. Is there a cool medal? :)

I'm not super excited about the medal... they are headless because it's supposed to be like anyone can be a companion.

companion_for_a_day_medal.jpg

(sorry, I don't know how to make the image smaller, as I didn't post it! Found a direct link on their website!)

Here's the info, if you wanna sign up!

http://www.thenerdherd.info/2016-companion-for-a-day-5k10k/

Just realized Clara was completely missed on this medal too. If they are going to have an awkward space, at least put the TARDIS there!

I'm not super excited about the medal... they are headless because it's supposed to be like anyone can be a companion.

companion_for_a_day_medal.jpg

(sorry, I don't know how to make the image smaller, as I didn't post it! Found a direct link on their website!)

Here's the info, if you wanna sign up!

http://www.thenerdherd.info/2016-companion-for-a-day-5k10k/

Just realized Clara was completely missed on this medal too. If they are going to have an awkward space, at least put the TARDIS there!

Thanks for the info. Not a fan of Clara missing though. :)

IMG_5445.jpg

Finished in 31.20, which is a PR for me (even though it's not that impressive...)

I RAN THE WHOLE TIME!! Which, is pretty awesome for me. As I said before, I used to describe myself as the person who couldn't even run down the block.

My previous 5k time was 33.50.
Congratulations!!! I am super impressed by your time and your PR! You should feel super awesome!

IMG_5445.jpg

Finished in 31.20, which is a PR for me (even though it's not that impressive...)

I RAN THE WHOLE TIME!! Which, is pretty awesome for me. As I said before, I used to describe myself as the person who couldn't even run down the block.

Congratulations! You just improved your 5K time by 7% in ONE MONTH! THAT IS THE DEFINITION OF VERY IMPRESSIVE! Anyone who improves their 5K time by 7% in only one month's time absolutely crushed it. You should be very proud! Keep it up because the sky's the limit!

Congratulations! You just improved your 5K time by 7% in ONE MONTH! THAT IS THE DEFINITION OF VERY IMPRESSIVE! Anyone who improves their 5K time by 7% in only one month's time absolutely crushed it. You should be very proud! Keep it up because the sky's the limit!

You should be a motivational speaker! You always make me feel so happy and like I can actually do this whole running thing.

Thanks for the encouragement :)

Awesome job! It is impressive! You made a huge improvement in the past month.

IMG_5445.jpg

Great job!! Congrats on your new PR :)

Just a few more race notes:

ONE-- I got a blister on the inside of my right foot--AGAIN!

This really frustrates me because:
1) I was told with correct running socks, and correct shoes, this would go away.
My running shoes were fitted at a running store. I was wearing moisture wicking running socks. My shoes are only used for running and only have about 20 miles on them right now.
2) I put glide on my feet! It was the glide "body" section but I think glide is pretty generic to all parts of your body (or so I've read)
3) I did not get these blisters when doing my 2.5 mile training runs...

It's in the same spot as my one from my first 5k (where I did none of the above) and I only know this because the one from last month is STILL healing. I'm not sure what to do. I'm curious if I run differently in races due to anxiety or trying to keep up or whatever. The blister didn't bug me during the run, it was only when I stopped (and later when I took my shoes off) that it became annoying. Still, I don't want any blisters!

(and it didn't rain on my run either!)

TWO--I did not stick to my race and my pace and was dying by mile 2.

This race in my hometown was not part of a run/walk like the first 5k and had quite a bit fewer people. With my 10 minute pace, I was probably in the final 3/4th's of the race. I started out pretty slow but was at the VERY back of the pack, and as an exceptionally competitive person, I couldn't handle that. So I hit the gas a bit hard and ended up with a 9:30 pace to start.

With such few people, and a lot of people coming to the races talking about their marathon times, I had so much anxiety going into this race

Will have to figure that one out inside my own head or with additional training.

THREE: I don't know where to go from here with training!

I'm not sure if I wanna use the Galloway method because in my mind walking during any race seems like failure (personal feeling, not against Galloway or people who use his method!). I think I'm past couch to 5k programs, but not really in the intermediate section yet (like Hal Higdon's training program for intermediate wants you to have been running 20 miles a week for the past year to two years!)

I want to improve my times, and also begin a bit of further distances. Obviously my goal is to run 6 miles by February, but I'd like to try to be in a 10k by the fall, if it's a reasonable feat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter