Just got back from RPR today!

djmpj

Earning My Ears
First of all, let me say that the hotel is absolutely gorgeous. We never stay in anyplace this nice but had to go for it for the FOTL passes considering we were going to be there for such a busy week. We stayed from Sun 12/28 through Thursday 1/1.

Let me begin.... (this is VERY long)

We stayed the night before at the Crown Plaza in Orlando because we knew we would be getting there very late and no use to pay the RPR rates if we could not use it. So, anyway, stayed at the CP which is a VERY nice hotel for like $70 (Hotel Kingdom).

Went to RPR at about 8 in the morning on Sunday. The nice guys out at the driveway took our suitcases and we made our way to the special check in line for members. Checked in without a hitch. I asked for the upgrade with my card, but since they were sold out I was told no. (no prob... expected that). I confirmed my request for a room close to the pool. We got our (priceless) key and were on our way to the park. They gave me a paper with their phone number on it and said call from the park and we'll let you know if your room is available, but it will definitely be ready by 4.

We were ready for lunch around 2 and wanted to head back to the hotel so I called the number on the card, but was told the room was not available. No problem, we headed over anyway to have lunch by the (gorgeous) pool. Called again at 3 after lunch.. still not ready. At this point the kids were itching to get into the pool and the bathing suits were in their suitcases at the luggage place. Waited till 4 and walked in. Still not ready. Hmmm? We hung out at the lobby for another 30 minutes of so and finally the room was ready. They gave us the room number and we headed up. Our luggage was delivered shortly thereafter. Keep in mind the place in huge and we have not been there before. I was very surprised to find out we were in tower 2. Room 2324. Those of you that are experts will know.. this is about as far away from the pool as you can get. Once upstairs I called down and told them I specifically asked for a room BY the pool. They told me they were sorry, they were sold out and that is all they could give me. I was a little upset because I had made these reservations a while ago and every time I spoke with them confirmed my request was there for a room by the pool. I was even looking for pool view, but told all along that was sold out. Anyway.. our bags were delivered to the room and kids changed for the pool. While on our way down, I stopped by the front desk to give it one more try and low and behold, they could honor my request with a pool view room!! They said that room is not available yet, but we will get your bags from the old room and hold onto them till the new room is ready. I went back upstairs with the bellman and he took the bags. We went to the pool with the same card to call in a little while to see if the new room is ready. Called at 5, no. Called at 6, no. Called at 7. no. At this point it was dark and the kids were cold and in wet bathing suits. Now, their dry clothes were back in the luggage at the luggage room. hhhmmmm. Waited as long as I could till I had to take them in their bathing suits up to the lobby to try and get their clothes out of the luggage room. When I got there a mgr. came over and asked if he could help. I told him we were waiting on our room but it was not ready. He jumped on the computer and told me our room was ready. Head on up and he will have the bellman bring the bags right away. We went upstairs. We were facing the pool, but only on the 2nd floor which is not exactly a pool view because you are really looking at the roof of the walkway along the outside of the building but I did not care AT ALL because all I really wanted was to be close to the pool and I was VERY close. Anyway.. here is where it gets good. We are waiting for the bags and he's not coming. I did not know what was a usual amount of time to wait for them to come so I gave them almost an hour when I called down (kids still in bathing suits) and they give me the bad news.. they cannot find our luggage. Ugh. After many trips back and forth between my room and the luggage room.... the bags were found. Turns out one of the bellmen had tagged our luggage rack with someone else’s tag, then it was delivered to someone else's room and we did not get them back till those people finally came back from the park and saw our bags in their room.

This was all pretty frustrating for a number of reasons.. because we did not even go to dinner till 9. We planned on eating and heading back to the park. Needless to say, we did not make it back to the park that night. Last, but not least, my comp. cookies and milk were not delivered and when I called they told me they were sorry, my request was overlooked because of the room change and they were all out.

Whew.. OK.. that is the end of my "negative" part. The remainder of our stay was excellent. We loved every minute of it and would stay there again in a heartbeat. The place is gorgeous. The staff is so friendly and courteous. The pool is awesome. (weather was perfect.. that helped). Loved the bar at the pool. The FOTL pass was the best!! The boat rides to and from the park were very cool. We had the best time ever!! Housekeeping was good, but one of our 4 nights the room was not cleaned till after 6pm. But the other 3 days it was cleaned before lunch.

We visited PB and HR and decided while HR was a close runner up, we liked RPR the best. We loved the tropical decor.

I am sorry it is over but for all of you still waiting to go.. You will LOVE it. My one suggestion.. if you can avoid it, don't let the bellman take your luggage out of your car until YOUR ROOM IS READY. However, if you are flying in.. I guess you have no choice.

DJ

Thanks for sharing. On our recent trip, Dh talked me into leaving the luggage in the car until our room was ready instead of leaving it with the bellman. I was more concerned about theft from our car. Thanks for sharing your perspective and giving me something else to consider.

Thanks for sharing terrible when that happens I think you should register your complaint in writing because its not right and its a pretty simple task they have to do with a tag and in never hurts to see if they will offer a nice freebie by way of compensation but at least u never let it spoil your trip:jester:

We had a similar but not as harsh experience last trip. We didn't get the room until after 5. One was available at 4 but it seemed like we were being punished for making a room request and being made to wait.
Housekeeping a stay over after 6 is unexceptable. Whenever we stay more than one night DW calls or contacts housekeeping in person to tell them we go to the parks early and come back to chill as early as noon and that helps.
Isn't FOTL cool? Glad you had some fun!

Sorry you had such a rocky start. That's why I usually pack a change of clothes in a small carry=on or at the top of my suitcase. That way I can just go to the area where they're holding the bags and get a change of clothes. Glad you enjoyed the rest of your vacation.

The main reason I wasn't crazy about Port. Bay when we went to visit it is it was a hike and a half from the lobby (and the majority of the rooms) to get to the water taxi. Also, we noticed while waiting for the water taxi a sign that said "Water taxi runs every 20-30 minutes". That is a long time if you just miss the previous one, or if the line is too long for you to get on the first run. (Which happened to us a few times at RPR). However, at RPR it runs more like every 5 minutes so we never waited very long.

At RPR if you are close to the pool you are pretty close to the water taxi. We found this extremely convenient.

DJ

i'm glad that you didn't let the beginning of your trip spoil your whole vacation. many would have let it sour their whole feeling about the hotel but you were able to see the good vs the bad and still have an amazing time. i am going in june for the first time to RPR and first time onsite. thanks for sharing your experiences at the resort. i can't wait!!!!!!

Great report! I love that resort! Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter