Just got back from 2 weeks doing Shanghai, Hong Kong and Tokyo....any questions?

DavidandLeahZ

DIS Veteran
I know I benefited from being able to ask someone that had recently been to these parks all kinds of questions. If anyone has any questions for me, I'll try to answer.

Here was our itinerary:

Fly from LAX - Shanghai
3 days in Shanghai Disney Resort
Fly from Shanghai - Hong Kong
2 days in Hong Kong Disneyland
Fly from Hong Kong to Tokyo
5 days in Tokyo Disney Resort
Fly from Tokyo to Chicago

What were the lines like in Shanghai? Have they calmed down a little from the initial reports?

Going to all 3 parks in a few months but I've already done TDR and HKDL multiple times so I have a lot more of an idea how to approach them than Shanghai.

I'd love to hear about wait times, Fast Pass success / strategies, crowd levels, crowd behaviour, etc for Shanghai Disneyland.

I'm trying to figure out how many days to allocate for a visit and the most recent trip reports that I can find suggest that some rides still require up to two / three hours waiting in line. But, I was looking at the Shanghai Disneyland app on Sunday and the longest wait time was listed as 20 minutes with the vast majority of wait times listed as being only 5 or 10 minutes.

I'm not sure whether the app is grossly incorrect or whether initial demand has substantially decreased and all of the rides are now relatively quick and easy to access (IF they're open of course - Pirates was listed as being down for refurbishment).

I'd also be interested in your review of the "royal banquet" in the castle in Shanghai Disneyland if you did that dining experience.

Also, if you dined at the new Woodchuck Camp in Tokyo DisneySea, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

But, I was looking at the Shanghai Disneyland app on Sunday and the longest wait time was listed as 20 minutes with the vast majority of wait times listed as being only 5 or 10 minutes.

I noted this too (as I head there next week). I think it may reflect the differential pricing between weekends and weekdays, which started at the beginning of the month. Monday to Friday tickets are now only US$55, versus US$75 on the weekends. Wait times during the week seems to reflect the more normal times of 30-60 minutes for most rides.

Interesting. Thanks aussiecookfamily. With the longer operating hours on the weekend, I wonder whether it would ultimately be more beneficial to visit on the weekend as opposed to a weekday (which is pretty much the opposite strategy of visiting any other Disney theme park).

We are doing the same trip but in November :) We have 4 days in TDL, though.

Are you planning on doing a trip report? I would LOVE to read it if you do!

How was the Shanghai Disneyland hotel? Worth the money?

We will only be there for two days. Any tips to maximize our time (and likely with shorter hours).

Did you eat in Disney town at all? Any recommendations?

did you travel to Shanghai under 144-hour visa-free transit? If yes was it easy/straight forward at the airport?

ta

Probably will go to HK Disney in November. Food-wise - are there are lot of counter service or should we look into table service restaurants? What sort of food can you find in the park?

Also, can you compare it to Disneyland? I know Disneyland in California like the back of my hand. I have no idea what to expect from HK Disneyland.

What's the dominant language used by CMs throughout the park?

Thanks!

Probably will go to HK Disney in November.

You should be able to find plenty of information in the Hong Kong Disneyland forum.

But, briefly:

- Food - plenty of counter service options. Food varies, but there would be no issue finding "western" style food.
- Comparison - it should be a lot quieter. They're pretty similar parks. I think HK is a little more spacious, although that could just be due to the lower crowd levels. The HK Disney app should provide maps, lists of attractions, etc. Or the website if you don't like apps.
- Language - English.

You should be able to find plenty of information in the Hong Kong Disneyland forum.

But, briefly:

- Food - plenty of counter service options. Food varies, but there would be no issue finding "western" style food.
- Comparison - it should be a lot quieter. They're pretty similar parks. I think HK is a little more spacious, although that could just be due to the lower crowd levels. The HK Disney app should provide maps, lists of attractions, etc. Or the website if you don't like apps.
- Language - English.

Thanks! Do they have Chinese food in the parks? If so, I'd be curious to try it. Esp if it's themed! I would rather eat food from the host country, unless the Western food options are better. For reference, we are a Chinese American family and plan to meet up with friends who are currently living and working in Singapore. None of us speak Cantonese, but my kids are learning Mandarin. I speak passable Mandarin while DH doesn't.

Thanks! Do they have Chinese food in the parks?

Yes. Although, since it's located in Hong Kong (i.e. a former British colony) and at least partly aimed at Western tourists, I'm not sure how authentic the Chinese food is. I don't recall it being as flavoursome as the Chinese dishes I had when in mainland China.

From fuzzy memory, we had our nicest "Asian" meal at the Explorer's Club Restaurant next to Mystic Manor (although the awesome theming may have influenced my impression of the food).

What were the lines like in Shanghai? Have they calmed down a little from the initial reports?

Going to all 3 parks in a few months but I've already done TDR and HKDL multiple times so I have a lot more of an idea how to approach them than Shanghai.

Lines weren't as horrible as we were expecting, but we also skipped Mine Train since we can ride that in Orlando. Soarin was neat to do only b/c of the different ending in Shanghai.

We were there for 3 days and didn't feel like we missed anything big. Our longest wait was probably an hour or so. Use single rider on Pirates to save you tons of time.

I'd love to hear about wait times, Fast Pass success / strategies, crowd levels, crowd behaviour, etc for Shanghai Disneyland.

I'm trying to figure out how many days to allocate for a visit and the most recent trip reports that I can find suggest that some rides still require up to two / three hours waiting in line. But, I was looking at the Shanghai Disneyland app on Sunday and the longest wait time was listed as 20 minutes with the vast majority of wait times listed as being only 5 or 10 minutes.

I'm not sure whether the app is grossly incorrect or whether initial demand has substantially decreased and all of the rides are now relatively quick and easy to access (IF they're open of course - Pirates was listed as being down for refurbishment).

I'd also be interested in your review of the "royal banquet" in the castle in Shanghai Disneyland if you did that dining experience.

Also, if you dined at the new Woodchuck Camp in Tokyo DisneySea, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

We were able to use FP in Shanghai with relative ease and took advantage of single rider on Pirates and Tron (so I rode both MULTIPLE times). A buddy who lives there says Soarin is always the most popular FP. If you're there about 60 mins before opening and stay until closing, you should be able to have a productive day. We were there for 3 days and it was perfect.

We did eat in the castle in Shanghai and the food was phenomenal. I wasn't there for the characters, but their costumes were definitely unique. Make sure to walk around and take photos of all the dining rooms.

I used the official SHDR app at times, but found it wasn't as accurate as Orlando's. Crowds were worse on Monday and then dropped on Tuesday and even more on Wednesday. Pirates didn't even open until 11:00 every day.

How was the Shanghai Disneyland hotel? Worth the money?

We will only be there for two days. Any tips to maximize our time (and likely with shorter hours).

Did you eat in Disney town at all? Any recommendations?

We didn't stay at the Shanghai DL Hotel, we stayed at the Toy Story Hotel to save money. It was probably comparable to a moderate in Orlando.

Take advantage of single rider lines, use your FP wisely. Start early, end late. Two days should be fine to get most things done once.

Just be ready, the park is REALLY spread out. Using a FP runner helps, but will still wear you down.

did you travel to Shanghai under 144-hour visa-free transit? If yes was it easy/straight forward at the airport?

ta

Yes and it was EXTREMELY easy. When we checked in for our flight at LAX, there was even an option on our United kiosk for the TWOV. We had our printed receipt/ticket for the next flight (leaving Shanghai) and a TIMATIC printout showing we qualified.

Then, when we arrived in SHanghai, there was a separate queue for those on TWOV. We actually think we got through more quickly than those on normal visas.

Probably will go to HK Disney in November. Food-wise - are there are lot of counter service or should we look into table service restaurants? What sort of food can you find in the park?

I DON'T KNOW THAT WE SAW A TABLE SERVICE RESTAURANT IN HKDL. PLENTY OF QS OPTIONS. MOSTLY ASIAN FOOD OPTIONS WITH SOME WESTERN CHOICES HERE AND THERE, BUT WE FIGURED WE COULD EAT THAT STUFF AT HOME.

Also, can you compare it to Disneyland? I know Disneyland in California like the back of my hand. I have no idea what to expect from HK Disneyland.

IT FELT VERY SIMILAR. THE PARK COULD DEFINITELY DO MORE TO LIVE UP TO ITS POTENTIAL. 1.5 DAYS SHOULD BE PLENTY. I MAY HAVE RODE MYSTIC MANOR 10 TIMES. ;)

What's the dominant language used by CMs throughout the park?

THEY SPEAK ENGLISH VERY WELL, BUT I ALSO BELIEVE CANTONESE IS THEIR PRIMARY LANGUAGE. WHEN YOU BOARD JUNGLE CRUISE, YOU ACTUALLY PICK THE LANGUAGE IN WHICH YOU WANT TO HEAR IT IN.

Thanks!

We are planning a trip to Shanghai and then Tokyo next October. We will be gone about 14 days and will also fit a little time in Kyoto as well. Would 3 days at Shanghai Disneyland and 3 days for Tokyo Disney resort be enough?

I plan on using my dvc points to get an alcove room at the Tokyo Disneyland hotel, but will probably spend cash to stay at Shanghai dl.

We'd like to do a day trip around Shanghai and will probably do something similar in Tokyo at the very end of the trip. We were also trying to plan on avoiding the weekends at the park, but my f/t job won't let me leave until October 17, so we might be at sdl on a Saturday.

Would love to read a trip report if you do one.

We are planning a trip to Shanghai and then Tokyo next October. We will be gone about 14 days and will also fit a little time in Kyoto as well. Would 3 days at Shanghai Disneyland and 3 days for Tokyo Disney resort be enough?

I plan on using my dvc points to get an alcove room at the Tokyo Disneyland hotel, but will probably spend cash to stay at Shanghai dl.

We'd like to do a day trip around Shanghai and will probably do something similar in Tokyo at the very end of the trip. We were also trying to plan on avoiding the weekends at the park, but my f/t job won't let me leave until October 17, so we might be at sdl on a Saturday.

Would love to read a trip report if you do one.

Three days at SHDR will be plenty. In my opinion, if it's your first time, I don't think 3 days in TDR would be enough. If push comes to shove, move a day from SHDR to TDR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter