Just curious...do people do DCL solo/single?

Lorelei5282

Earning My Ears
I know WDW but was wondering if a lot of people do DCL alone? I know it's somewhat prices for a room by yourself but just thought I'd see if anyone here had any experience.

Thanks!
Lori

Yup! My first and only cruise so far was a DCL cruise I did alone this January. I had a wonderful time; it's a much more laid back vacation than WDW but I still found a lot to keep me occupied on the ship. Very expensive for a solo since they charge a full 200% on solo occupancy (i.e. you're paying as much as you would if you'd brought a friend :sad2:), but in a lot of ways I thought it was more relaxing for having gone by myself.

I'd love to do it solo, but the fact that I'd have to pay 200% of the cost, even though the cost also includes meals, just frosts me. Maybe if they let me have two meals at dinnertime:D

I've never been on a cruise but I'm dying to do so! And what better cruise than Disney! Why don't a few of us try to put one together - go together. We could meet the night before in Cocoa Beach/Canaveral (cool beach!!! big waves)

I'm down like James Brown !!

I have been on a Disney cruise as a solo adult and found it boring.
That said I am a big cruiser but also a Disney geek.

It was double what I would pay for a solo cabin in a lesser category; what I mean by that is that on Disney I was in an inside cabin and paid 3x what I would pay for a balcony cabin on other cruise lines (not Carnival, but more like Celebrity). The ship was beautiful.

IMO the food was fair, and even though they claim to have adult things to do but not really. They also let children into the adult areas which they claim not to. Actually the kids were great fun to see mostly but some brought their bad parents with them so people had to see that sometimes. They do market their cruises to adult only trips too.

I loved the character parties and Castaway Cay so it wasn't 100% bad, but as a solo cruiser I would not go again but it was on my list and I have checked it off. :flower1:
YMMV.

I have gone on a Disney cruise solo and am going again in 2 weeks. I love the cruises and usually go with my kids but it is a much different experience going alone. I don't feel like I have to keep them happy(no I don't want to go watch karaoke). I just relax and do whatever I want, the same as WDW. Yes you pay what is considered double but I just see it as the cost of the "hotel" room. Book early to get the best deals (or wait till last minute for the Florida resident discount). Oh and you can always order as much food as you want. I usually order a meal and then just a portion of the fish alone to try it.

I've done 10+ solo cruises and numerous solo trips. Cruising solo has it's perks and personally I like being alone unless I can cruise with someone who shares my same passion for Disney. The only negative thing I can think of is the single supplement especially with DCL. I have a solo cruise planned on NCL in January and the ship I'm cruising on has solo staterooms so I didn't have to pay that single supplement. I'm hoping solo staterooms are an up and coming trend and DCL is going to offer some of their new ships.

Last edited:
I'd love to do it solo, but the fact that I'd have to pay 200% of the cost, even though the cost also includes meals, just frosts me. Maybe if they let me have two meals at dinnertime:D

Most lines will. All you have to do is ask. But yeah, the single supplement sucks on most lines. I think there are one or two that are 150% and NCL has the solo cabins, but other than that it's the 200% supplement.

Cruising (with Disney) is amaaaazing. You really feel like royalty. Its so nice and relaxing...yet there's always something to do to keep you occupied if you want. I didnt go on the cruise solo....but i may as well have because we didn't see much of each other during the cruise. Not even dinner! ha! I'd love to try a solo cruise though. I travel solo at wdw all the time and actually have a blast alone, lol, so I will most likely book a solo cruise very soon.

I would like to as well, but have nobody to go with. I wouldn't necessarily mind going alone (I do the parks that way all the time), but the extra cost is a concern. I'd like to do one of those Star Wars or Marvel days though.

I would like to as well, but have nobody to go with. I wouldn't necessarily mind going alone (I do the parks that way all the time), but the extra cost is a concern. I'd like to do one of those Star Wars or Marvel days though.

Marvel Day at Sea was what prompted me to go on my first cruise, and I loved MDAS. There were times on that day that I felt slightly awkward for being solo (probably would have been less so if I'd focused less on character meets), but it was a jam-packed day and a great chance to get my nerd on.

For other comments about being bored on a solo cruise...man. Even as someone who loved my Disney cruise, I kind of get it. When I was looking ahead to 2020 and designing a trip that may or may not be solo, the tipping point for me doing WDW instead of another cruise was knowing that I wouldn't be able to do an MDAS or SWDAS cruise; it would just be a "regular" Disney cruise. I'm confident I'd enjoy a regular cruise with someone else along, but I had minor doubts about whether I'd be as excited about the cruise as a solo trip if I weren't looking forward to MDAS as part of it. It really depends on what appeals to you; I did find that I kept busier than I thought I would in general but I have enough concerns about feeling at a loose end on a non-themed cruise to choose WDW over DCL for the next round.

I know WDW but was wondering if a lot of people do DCL alone? I know it's somewhat prices for a room by yourself but just thought I'd see if anyone here had any experience.

Thanks!
Lori

I have cruised with family, with adults only, and solo. Love all of them. Disney does a great job of taking care of everyone, even solo adults. One of the great things about cruising on your own, is that you can do whatever you like, whenever you like. I think you find if you come over to the DCL board, that lots of people have similar experiences.

I want to a lot, but paying double is a challenge. I can have a really nice 11 day WDW trip for the cost of a three day solo cruise. Unfortunately no one I know is really interested in cruises, so until I win the lottery I will just dream about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter