Just canceled - Bummed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big fan of keeping my options open and not locking myself into something when there's no real advantage in doing so.

OP is looking at Disneyland next summer. And he indicated in a followup post that he would need to start making payments now in order to make that work. So start making payments now, but make them into your own private vacation account. Set aside the same amount that you'd be paying if you booked it now (and even a little more any month that you can manage to scrape it together).

This has all kinds of advantages. Maybe your family has a great year financially, or maybe you have a hard year. A lot can change, and it can change quickly. But in six months you'll be able to make an even more informed decision about what you can afford. It could also be that in six months, the pool doesn't seem like quite as big a deal to you and your kids. Or maybe you realize that it really is the make-or-break thing. Who knows? Maybe you even start missing WDW (and forgive them for whatever went wrong last time) and decide to go there instead. And on top of it all, it gives you a chance to sit back and watch for deals. Who knows what kind of promotion Disney might come up with between now and then?

Great points. I would only want something booked just to make sure we definitely have a room. As for WDW, I can safely say, no desire to go there anytime soon for vacation. Magic Kingdom pales in comparison to Disneyland, and the whole place just seems like there's construction everywhere. That and the never ending crowds. It's strange because Disneyland can be just as crowded and it's smaller, but it the lines don't get as long and it never feels as claustrophobic as the Magic Kingdom.

Great points. I would only want something booked just to make sure we definitely have a room. As for WDW, I can safely say, no desire to go there anytime soon for vacation. Magic Kingdom pales in comparison to Disneyland, and the whole place just seems like there's construction everywhere. That and the never ending crowds. It's strange because Disneyland can be just as crowded and it's smaller, but it the lines don't get as long and it never feels as claustrophobic as the Magic Kingdom.

I completely agree with you on all of this! We went to WDW in July, first time in 6 years, and the crowds were pretty shocking to us, especially at MK. And we're DLR vets (we live in CA) who have been with huge crowds. I think the FP+ system, and the fact that every single ride has a FP, makes the standby lines completely outrageous. There are a lot of things I love about WDW, the resorts being one of them because I just can't swallow the $600+ a night charge for onsite at DLR, but I do agree that MK pales in comparison to DL. (Except for the Cinderella castle, which I adore, though I still love our little Sleeping Beauty castle.) Also, I think Epcot is going to be amazing in a couple of years, but I'll admit I wasn't thrilled with all the construction there right now.

Your trips to CA would be like us flying to FL - expensive and time consuming - and I can see that it would be trickier because DLR isn't as big as WDW. We did 8 nights there this summer, but I wouldn't do that at DLR - well, couldn't, because of the way their ticket structure is. For a longer trip, though, California has a lot - national parks, San Diego (the zoo there lives up to the hype), LA, even San Francisco if you want to go up the coast. Driving up the state on the coast is an amazing trip in itself. There are other theme parks if that's your thing. Knott's is a fun little place and is very close to DLR. So there are other options for an extended trip, but it just wouldn't be 7-10 days of Disney.

@Captainkidd76 there's a new thread about new hotels opening in the area. Maybe have a look at that and see if any of those look reasonable to you.

Your Florida vacation sounds amazing, though! I'm only suggesting that you look at the new hotels because you referenced feeling bummed about your decision.

Quick update - I ended up booking a room at the Courtyard Theme Park Entrance. It has a free cancellation policy, so if any decent discounts come out for DLH or GCH we'll just switch over. I think we'll survive across the street.
That's a really nice hotel from what I hear. I generally find their rates to be high enough that I can stay on site for almost the same price, but I get Disney rooms when they're discounted and I am not a Marriott rewards member.

That's a really nice hotel from what I hear. I generally find their rates to be high enough that I can stay on site for almost the same price, but I get Disney rooms when they're discounted and I am not a Marriott rewards member.

For the dates I checked, it was around $300 a night. Definitely pricier, but in my range of reasonable. For the same time, DLH is $600 and GCH is just under $800. That's just absurd.

For the dates I checked, it was around $300 a night. Definitely pricier, but in my range of reasonable. For the same time, DLH is $600 and GCH is just under $800. That's just absurd.
I agree. When I've looked, CM has been close to $400 for my nights and more if you're looking for a suite. I've usually gotten GCH during Dapper Day or with AP specials, but this year the rates are higher. I hope that changes soon. My Christmas AP rate at GCH this year was $489/night, cheaper at DLH but we always do GCH for Christmas (that's about what we have paid in the past but for a better room). For me, not taking a family and splitting the cost with my sister, it's easy to choose on site. It wasn't that long ago that we used to get $129 rates on special for DLH, and $49 rates at Hojo across the street, though. Demand has been high enough that all hotel rates have gone up dramatically, especially at peak times.

I agree. When I've looked, CM has been close to $400 for my nights and more if you're looking for a suite. I've usually gotten GCH during Dapper Day or with AP specials, but this year the rates are higher. I hope that changes soon. My Christmas AP rate at GCH this year was $489/night, cheaper at DLH but we always do GCH for Christmas (that's about what we have paid in the past but for a better room). For me, not taking a family and splitting the cost with my sister, it's easy to choose on site. It wasn't that long ago that we used to get $129 rates on special for DLH, and $49 rates at Hojo across the street, though. Demand has been high enough that all hotel rates have gone up dramatically, especially at peak times.
I just checked some random dates and, as you said, the prices were around $300/night for CM, so that's not bad. More than the other area properties, but they're mostly motels. There's no breakfast but to be honest, I rarely eat those hotel breakfasts anyway (blech).

Quick update - I ended up booking a room at the Courtyard Theme Park Entrance. It has a free cancellation policy, so if any decent discounts come out for DLH or GCH we'll just switch over. I think we'll survive across the street.

It's a very nice hotel. I think your family will really enjoy staying there. Glad you were able to make something work.

I'm glad you're finding a compromise that's both affordable and meets what is important to you.

I love rooms with free cancellation. I often have a hotel reserved somewhere, as a sort of hedge in case we follow through on a vacation we're considering. More often than not, I do end up cancelling because we either (a) find a better deal as the vacation nears or (b) decided to go in a different direction. But we've got it just in case.

I think you've made a great choice. That IS a big price difference. And you know what? Let's say that between now and when your trip starts, some extra spending money becomes available in some way. You know what you can do with that? Here's some possibilities:
  • World of Color dessert party
  • Fantasmic! dinner package
  • you could hit up every character meal - Plaza Inn, Storytellers at GCH, Goofy's Kitchen at DLH, the one at PPH, too.
  • you could do a fancy meal at Steakhouse 55
  • you could do a fancy meal, even the chef's table, at Napa Rose at the GCH
  • World of Color dining package
  • go on a Disneyland tour (costs extra)
  • if you're really rolling in it and want to splurge, hire a VIP tour guide for 6 hours
  • get everybody hooked up with a $200 light saber in SWGE.
  • get everybody a $100 make-your-own droid
  • bring home a really nice piece of Disney art from the art shop at the Town Square end of Main Street (it's right next to Great Moments with Mr Lincoln). They'll ship it home for you if you need them to.
Just trust us on this...your trip is NOT going to be ruined if you're not staying on site. But it will be if you go into it with the attitude of "It's going to suck if I don't stay on site." You'll still have an amazing time.

I encourage you to consider 5-day park hopper tickets if that's in the possible agenda for your trip. We did 5 days at DL once a few years ago, stayed at Hojo's for the week. It was wonderful. Seriously. SUCH a wonderful time. We didn't get to do and see everything. The people out there who say that DL is only a 2 or 3 day experience are just silly.

IF you're going to be there around the 3rd Sunday of the month, Disney Imagineer and Disney Legend Bob Gurr does an in-person narrated-by-himself bus tour of Walt Disney related sights around Los Angeles on the 3rd Sunday of every month. There's info on it at www.waltland.com. He's an amazing guy.

We stayed there 2 years ago and are going back in a month. I am very picky about hotels and Courtyard did not disappoint. The walk is easy and we feel immersed with all the other Disney guests! It is clean and new and friendly. Good choice!

And also agreed with PP, with strategic use of maxpass my kids are bored by mid day 3 because we've ridden everything so many times.

I have had as much as an 8 day Park Hopper during my DL trips and can't say I've ever felt bored no matter how many times I've ridden the good rides. That's why I'm there - for the rides (well, that's a big part of it anyways).

I have had as much as an 8 day Park Hopper during my DL trips and can't say I've ever felt bored no matter how many times I've ridden the good rides. That's why I'm there - for the rides (well, that's a big part of it anyways).
Same here. We are usually down for 2 weeks at Christmas, and enjoy the visit!

It stinks. Until last year we went to WDW every year for Christmas. This year we're going to California on a road trip. The most expensive leg of our trip is in Disneyland. I almost dropped DL from our plans but decided to keep it in. Can't see being in Cali and not stopping at DL.

My cousin is booking a trip to WDW next year and asked us to come along. I quickly priced the 5-day trip to WDW and it will cost the same as our estimate for a road trip down PCH: Rental car, flights across country, hotel stays, and food.

It stinks. Until last year we went to WDW every year for Christmas. This year we're going to California on a road trip. The most expensive leg of our trip is in Disneyland. I almost dropped DL from our plans but decided to keep it in. Can't see being in Cali and not stopping at DL.

My cousin is booking a trip to WDW next year and asked us to come along. I quickly priced the 5-day trip to WDW and it will cost the same as our estimate for a road trip down PCH: Rental car, flights across country, hotel stays, and food.

It's certainly possible to spend more on a vacation at Disneyland than on one at WDW, by it's definitely not necessary.

There are offsite hotels near Disneyland that are more convenient that any hotel at WDW because you can easily walk right to the turnstiles. And although they may not be as nice in other ways, they are relatively inexpensive (compared to staying onsite at Disneyland).

Tickets at Disneyland are less expensive. A five-day Park Hopper at Disneyland is $395 (from Disney). A five-day Park Hopper at WDW is at least $100 more (and goes up from there). You could argue it's a better value because there are more parks, but you can't argue it's less expensive.

What else is there? Food is generally considered less expensive at Disneyland because you have easily accessible off-site options that compete with it.

So as long as you're flexible, your Disneyland vacation should be less expensive, not more. But if you approach it locked in on what you have to have (the Grand Californian, for example), well then, like most things in life, you're going to have to pay for it.

The time of year has a lot to do with pricing -- visiting during Christmas Week/New Year's means peak pricing for just about everything. At least you'll be getting to visit DLR when it will be beautifully decorated for the holidays. If you ever decide to visit again, you'll have the choice to look at less expensive times of year and ask here about the options for saving money. Surprisingly, it can be possible to save quite a bit with good planning.

It's certainly possible to spend more on a vacation at Disneyland than on one at WDW, by it's definitely not necessary.

There are offsite hotels near Disneyland that are more convenient that any hotel at WDW because you can easily walk right to the turnstiles. And although they may not be as nice in other ways, they are relatively inexpensive (compared to staying onsite at Disneyland).

Tickets at Disneyland are less expensive. A five-day Park Hopper at Disneyland is $395 (from Disney). A five-day Park Hopper at WDW is at least $100 more (and goes up from there). You could argue it's a better value because there are more parks, but you can't argue it's less expensive.

What else is there? Food is generally considered less expensive at Disneyland because you have easily accessible off-site options that compete with it.

So as long as you're flexible, your Disneyland vacation should be less expensive, not more. But if you approach it locked in on what you have to have (the Grand Californian, for example), well then, like most things in life, you're going to have to pay for it.

Plus, Disneyland is a superior park. I'd take a DL vacation over WDW any time. I wish I were closer (I was from the West Coast in BC until we moved to Ottawa). I actually never felt the need to go to WDW when we were still West Coasters, but now due to proximity we go to WDW - but I long for DL. We are finally heading back to DL this coming May and I can't wait.

Good choice staying across Harbor, that's the biggest dollar reduction you will see for your itinerary. I usually don't book flights until 6-8 weeks in advance depending on the route, but BOS-LAX should be $200-$300 RT pp.

Depending on the time of year and availability, renting DVC points from a member might be a better option; heck, BUYING a DVC contract might even be a better option depending on the price per point. I count my lucky stars that I was able to spend $150ppt several years ago, and am envious of those who bought at the heart of the recession and paid as low as $81ppt with the incentives at the time. The demand is so high for that property that you could probably cover annual dues and monthly payments from renting points out every year.

I also must say, anytime one of those hotels across Harbor goes up for sale, Disney WILL buy it.

But consider these facts: those properties RARELY go on sale, they're usually prestige holdings that are held and passed generation to generation. When the old Carousel Inn went up for sale, Disney paid an absurd amount of money as part of its now-shelved Eastern Gateway project. It is now the most expensive parking lot in the area ($32M + cost of demolition).

When the Fujishige family acquiesced after the death of the family patriarch, that property at Harbor/Katella (hypothetical 3rd theme park) had been in the family 50+ years. In fact, they technically did not sell it, as Disney Corp's annual report specifically notes "The Company owns 486 acres and has the rights under a long-term lease for use of an additional 55 acres of land in Anaheim, California." right in their 2018 annual report (that farm was 55 acres, btw).

I think Disney can eventually acquire all of the property east of Harbor within about 100-125 years, that's my best guesstimate.

Good choice staying across Harbor, that's the biggest dollar reduction you will see for your itinerary. I usually don't book flights until 6-8 weeks in advance depending on the route, but BOS-LAX should be $200-$300 RT pp.

Depending on the time of year and availability, renting DVC points from a member might be a better option; heck, BUYING a DVC contract might even be a better option depending on the price per point. I count my lucky stars that I was able to spend $150ppt several years ago, and am envious of those who bought at the heart of the recession and paid as low as $81ppt with the incentives at the time. The demand is so high for that property that you could probably cover annual dues and monthly payments from renting points out every year.

I also must say, anytime one of those hotels across Harbor goes up for sale, Disney WILL buy it.

But consider these facts: those properties RARELY go on sale, they're usually prestige holdings that are held and passed generation to generation. When the old Carousel Inn went up for sale, Disney paid an absurd amount of money as part of its now-shelved Eastern Gateway project. It is now the most expensive parking lot in the area ($32M + cost of demolition).

When the Fujishige family acquiesced after the death of the family patriarch, that property at Harbor/Katella (hypothetical 3rd theme park) had been in the family 50+ years. In fact, they technically did not sell it, as Disney Corp's annual report specifically notes "The Company owns 486 acres and has the rights under a long-term lease for use of an additional 55 acres of land in Anaheim, California." right in their 2018 annual report (that farm was 55 acres, btw).

I think Disney can eventually acquire all of the property east of Harbor within about 100-125 years, that's my best guesstimate.

Yes, one of those hotels is like a license to print money. I don't know why anyone would part with that lol. Some people really lucked out when Walt decided to put his park there. Wish I had that type of luck in my life.

Shame about the Carousel. It was a very reasonably priced hotel when I was a kid (1980s) and was actually our favourite place to stay for Disneyland trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter