Just back...thoughts & observations...

tessio

Earning My Ears
Just got back from a week at Disney World. So much fun! A few thoughts…

Art of Animation: Pools closed at 8 pm which was a bummer, as my kids were looking forward to “night swimming.” It ended up not mattering as we generally returned from the parks exhausted. We managed to get a morning swim in so that was fun. The food there is awesome. Can’t say enough great things about Landscape of Flavors. Wish they would get new Rapid fill mug designs, though. Does anyone know when the last update was? Buses were great overall!

Epcot: Mission to Mars made me and my kids nauseous. I couldn’t believe how dated and…dare I say…boring…Journey into Imagination and Spaceship Earth was. Living with the Land was interesting but not overly compelling. We really enjoyed Soarin’, Frozen Ever After, Nemo, and the Three Caballeros ride. I hope they don’t get rid of that for the rumored Coco ride. And Test Track was a thrill for my son. Lunch at Sunshine Seasons was great, and dinner at Katsura Grill was just okay. Overall I feel like Disney needs to seriously update the rides in that park. Both my kids gave Epcot a thumbs down at the end of the day.

Animal Kingdom: Flight of Passage was amazing. My kids had mini-panic attacks just before the ride started and once the harness tightened. I’m’ glad they hung in there because they loved it instantly. Kilimanjaro Safari was great, Kali River Rapids was really fun, and Na’vi River Journey was pretty cool. Lunch at Pizzafari was good and the dinner at Tusker House was excellent. Great buffet and character interaction.

Disney Springs: It’s like an upscale outdoor mall. It was fun for a bit but we tired of it pretty quickly.

Magic Kingdom: Spent a few days here. Had fun interacting with the Citizens of Main Street, Met the newest member, Noah Lott, who is hysterical. Took the train ride around the park and really enjoyed it.

Adventureland: Our Skipper on the Jungle Cruise was hysterical. Best one I’ve seen. And the rhino is back “pointing” upwards at the guy climbing the pole. We saw Pirates on February 25, the last day of the auction scene. I know it’s a classic but it’s way passed time for this scene to be removed. I’m glad they are doing this. Dole whips were amazing and dinner at the Skipper Canteen was outstanding. Got my souvenir mug!

Frontierland: So proud of my kids who braved Splash Mountain. They were nervous but LOVED it! Big Thunder Mountain is a family favorite. We love riding it at night and seeing the “party scene.” I always look for Cousin Elrod but can never seem to see him on the ride. Is he only visible on the Railroad side? We went to Tom Sawyer Island but was bummed that they closed off Fort Langhorn for renovation. Had no idea that was happening. Pecos Bill was great for lunch.

Liberty Square: Haunted Mansion is such a classic, and the Hall of Presidents was wonderful. Hadn’t seen it in years but was impressed by how engaging it is.

Fantasyland: Carousel has tarp around it but we still rode it and had fun. Peter Pan, IASW, Mickey’s Philharmagic, Little Mermaid, and Winnie the Pooh were so much fun. Be Our Guest for dinner was really nice. The ambiance is what’s really great there.

Storybook Circus: Dumbo play area is great for the kids and for us parents to sit and relax for a bit. Barnstormer was fun, and Storybook Circus treats were great. Kids loved the candy apples.

Tomorrowland: Love the Speedway, and my kids got a Tomorrowland Speedway License after it. But be forewarned: They are $5 each and no magic bands are accepted, which is annoying. People Mover is a classic, and Astro Orbiter was really nice to ride at night. Buzz Lightyear ride is silly to me, but my kids love it. And Monsters Laugh Floor is really great. The comedians are truly quick witted and funny. Always love that show. Cosmic Ray’s is always a hit. Food is great (chicken) and watching Sonny Eclipse is our family’s “must do.”

Dinner at ‘Ohana was amazing. Loved the apps (chicken, dumplings, etc.) more than the meats as main course. Instead of taking monorail and bus back to our resort we Ubered it and got to our resort in no time. It was cheaper than the Minnie Van. We did lots of pin trading every day and came back with some really fun pins. Overall another phenomenal trip. We’ve been going annually for a while now and we might take a year off. We’ll see if the kids allow it. They are getting hooked on our annual visits (so am I!!!)

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed review. Reading reviews like this make me miss WDW. Which is sad, since I was just there a month or so ago. How can I miss it so much already??. :)

How were the crowds?

We went during the 1st week of February, and the crowds were huge. We didn't have as good of a time as we've had in the past, so we're trying to find that magical week of low crowds.

Last edited:

In regards to the crowds it's funny. I'm sure they were insane but it's almost like a mind over matter thing sometimes..all perspective. We took our time, used Fast Pass, and constantly managed our expectations. Skipped things like parades and fireworks in order to go on 'busier' rides. So essentially we didn't feel the crowds even though it was the busiest week (President's Day week,) and I honestly can't complain about them. The only two factors I worry about that are out of my hands leading up to our WDW trips are weather and sickness. I'm like a worrywart leading up to our trip watching the kids like a hawk for cold/flu symptoms, and constantly monitoring the 10-day forecast. Fortunately, we had no rain the entire week and the entire family was in great health! It really was a great trip. Also, my wife tracked how many miles we walked each day. Interestingly, Epcot tracked 11 miles, Animal Kingdom tracked 9 miles, and Magic Kingdom averaged 9 miles, as well. Just a random fun fact there.

Thanks for sharing! How old are the kids? I'll be traveling in December with my five and two year olds. I'm hoping my five year old will go on Splash Mountain--that's my favorite ride!

Just got back from a week at Disney World. So much fun! A few thoughts…

Art of Animation: Pools closed at 8 pm which was a bummer, as my kids were looking forward to “night swimming.”
Are you sure about this? I've never known this to be the case. Yes, the lifeguards leave at a certain time, but you can still swim. They do ask you to be quiet after a certain time, though -- I think either 11 or midnight.

Are you sure about this? I've never known this to be the case. Yes, the lifeguards leave at a certain time, but you can still swim. They do ask you to be quiet after a certain time, though -- I think either 11 or midnight.

I just got back too and Pop pool closed at 8:00 too. I was there when the lifeguards closed it. Made everyone get out. Also All Star Sports closed at 8:00 when I was there first week of Feb.

Sounds like you all had a great time! Good to know about the pool closing so early there.

JPKanks: My daughter is 9 and my son is 7. My daughter went on Splash Mountain two years ago but didn't last year and was verrry tentative this year. Both of them were so nervous they stalled and held out until our very last day. I didn't want to pressure them so I let them build up their courage, but they ended up LOVING it! I'm SO glad they did!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter