Just back...some thoughts.

WDW_Ding

Ohana means family.
I just got back from a 6 day stay. We had a room at Old Key West and visited all 4 parks, plus Disney Springs. I've been to WDW 20+ times over 9 years.

Here are some general observations from my trip:
  • Our room at OKW was nice, as always. It was one of the rooms that hasn't been refurbed yet. It was showing some wear and tear, mainly in the carpet.
  • One morning, at 4:50 AM, I was awakened by loud, dance style music and what sounded like a DJ making announcements. It was loud enough to wake me and loud enough that I could understand the words that the DJ was saying. I called the front desk and was informed that it was from the 5k race being held at Epcot. I find this to be totally unacceptable. If it woke me up, all the way at OKW, then what about those poor families at the Boardwalk, Beach Club, and the Swan and Dolphin?
  • The trash service every day was actually nice. They came in the afternoons, when we were at the parks.
  • I hadn't been to DHS for 18-24 months. The Star Wars stage show was...bad. The night time fireworks show was...ok. It is obvious that they don't have good places to launch the fireworks from.
  • The Flower and Garden Fest is still my favorite event at Epcot. The flowers and topiaries are beautiful. And the food kiosks are welcome as well, even if I don't eat at them often.
  • I was able to attend the DVC after-hours event (Moonlight Magic) at Animal Kingdom (thanks @DavidRoss). It was a wonderful event...lower crowd levels, free ice cream and other treats. I got through the FoP line in about 35 minutes.
  • The Satu'li Canteen is really good. Great dining room, great food.
  • This was the 2nd time I have seen the Rivers of Light show. The first time I saw it I thought it was...ok. This time, I thought it was very good. They just need to "plus" up the finale and then it will be that much better.
  • People talking during Illuminations is just the worst. The speakers near Norway weren't working or weren't loud enough...
  • The update to the church in Norway is excellent. They took the Frozen stuff out. This is the best version of church so far.
  • I'm still not sure I like HEA better than Wishes.... :-(

Last edited:
Wonderful info-thanks! We're headed to OKW in about 3 weeks. What area of the resort were you in? Too bad you heard that race-start noise. DH ran the Dopey and he said they always played that dance music every morning. What he thought was kind of funny was the number of people who'd actually dance and jump around. He was wondering "Hello? Don't you want to save that energy for all the miles you'll be running?"And what did you have at Satu'li Canteen"? Looking forward to trying it for the first time next trip.

Yikes! I don't blame you for being annoyed, totally not acceptable!

I was just dumbstruck that they had it so loud so early in the morning. Again, what about those people at the Epcot resorts? It must have woken all of them up!

He was wondering "Hello? Don't you want to save that energy for all the miles you'll be running?"

For real!

And what did you have at Satu'li Canteen"? Looking forward to trying it for the first time next trip.

I had the brown rice, the chicken, and the green onion vinaigrette. I thought it was really, really good.

I just got back from a 6 day stay. We had a room at Old Key West and visited all 4 parks, plus Disney Springs. I've been to WDW 20+ times over 9 years.

Here are some general observations from my trip:
  • Our room at OKW was nice, as always. It was one of the rooms that hasn't been refurbed yet. It was showing some wear and tear, mainly in the carpet.
  • One morning, at 4:50 AM, I was awakened by loud, dance style music and what sounded like a DJ making announcements. It was loud enough to wake me and loud enough that I could understand the words that the DJ was saying. I called the front desk and was informed that it was from the 5k race being held at Epcot. I find this to be totally unacceptable. If it woke me up, all the way at OKW, then what about those poor families at the Boardwalk, Beach Club, and the Swan and Dolphin?
  • The trash service every day was actually nice. They came in the afternoons, when we were at the parks.
  • I hadn't been to DHS for 18-24 months. The Star Wars stage show was...bad. The night time fireworks show was...ok. It is obvious that they don't have good places to launch the fireworks from.
  • The Flower and Garden Fest is still my favorite event at Epcot. The flowers and topiaries are beautiful. And the food kiosks are welcome as well, even if I don't eat at them often.
  • I was able to attend the DVC after-hours event (Moonlight Magic) at Animal Kingdom (thanks @DavidRoss). It was a wonderful event...lower crowd levels, free ice cream and other treats. I got through the FoP line in about 35 minutes.
  • The Satu'li Canteen is really good. Great dining room, great food.
  • This was the 2nd time I have seen the Rivers of Light show. The first time I saw it I thought it was...ok. This time, I thought it was very good. They just need to "plus" up the finale and then it will be that much better.
  • People talking during Illuminations is just the worst. The speakers near Norway weren't working or weren't loud enough...
  • The update to the church in Norway is excellent. They took the Frozen stuff out. This is the best version of church so far.
  • I'm still not sure I like HEA better than Wishes.... :-(
I totally agree the The show isn’t as good as wishes was, I’m all for change but this show felt too disney channel to me.. the music was just kind of annoying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter