Just Back - Some remarks

cuchu2005

DIS Veteran
Hi!

We have arrived today after two wonderful weeks.

We've been there on Thanksgiving week and the following.

This has been our first FP+ trip.

Some experiences:

1. Huge amount of people as expected. Rope drop still pays off, even in high crowd days. The one day we missed rope drop at Epcot for about 20 min, we had to forget about test track for that day (we were doing Epcot on a second day). In spite of the crowds, we could ride everything we wanted.

2. We stayed off site. We booked a throwaway night at the campsite. FP+ reservations went well. We were lucky that Disney extended MK operation hours for Tksgiving week so we could grab FPs for SDMT and A&E for 2 days. I can't complain about the process, even though I have to admit that at the time it felt so stressful!

3. SDMT can be done at Rope Drop. We were on the first line of the Rope Drop and took the pathway from the hub that passes by Merida M&G and takes you to Mad Tea Cups. We've done it twice and both times we arrived prior to those going through the castle (we followed Josh's recommendations from easywdw). The second day we were the firsts to ride! First cart of the first train!

4. As I've been reading lately on some reports, it is true that FP+ made our touring more relaxing. I used to be the FP runner so I was from one side of the park to another collecting FPs. This time, I booked FP+ usually for the time slot between 2PM and 5 PM, knowing that we would be doing Rope Drop and with the idea of having time afterwards to grab a 4th FP. So, after our RD touring came to an end because of growing crowds on any given day, we would slow down, have lunch visit the stores (as Disney planned), and then used our FP+. So, yes, it felt more relaxed but because we knew there was nothing we could do different. So it really felt more lke resignation. I think I still prefer the previous system, but we could definetely adapt our touring style to FP+

5. DHS was very disapointing. We did two days (I know that for some Disers this is a half day park, but we really like it). The problem was that the tiering of FP+ made us opt for ToT over RnR because DD4 is not tall enough for the latter. So we planned on splitting with DW, and take DD9 to RnR while the other took DD4 to ToT at Rope Drop (after TSMM) using Rider Switch Pass. But RnR kept braking down, so it altered our plans and sent all the crowds to ToT. Beauty and the Beast was also cancelled mid show.

This also happened on our second day.

Here's what we have learnt: get to guest relations and explain how your plan was altered and your experience ruined by all attractions breaking down. We did this in the most polite way and they made it up for us by adding FPs to the missed attractions for any time that day. So, in the end, things went well, we even got VIP seats for BATB!

6. One day it was so rainy at MK, and the FP for SMDT was for late at night (last hour of operation) and we could not use them because the ride was closed (Thunderstorm). Another visit to guest relations got us a set of FP for another day.

Again we didn't go with a 'it is my right to ride that rollercoaster and because you didn't control the weather we could not get on it' attitude. We explained how bummed we were after all the effort it took to get those FP+. Which BTW was totally true. And they were very helpful and understanding!

7. We had Dinner reservations to O'hanna, Cali Grill (on Thanksgiving evening, which was great - we had the turkey dinner), Akershus for dinner and Be our Guest for early dinner. All were fantastic. Very friendly CMs and excellent food. The down side is that I could not get O'hana or Akershus to aknowledge my wife's birthday. Her actual date was the night we went to o'hana. I had previously asked a CM at guest relations to mark it in my reservation. I saw her doing it but then at the restaurant they said nothing came up in the system. Something similiar with Akershus. After my first failed attempt, I let the person at the podium know about the celebration and she told me there would be a little surprise. After we were done, the check came without any mention. I spoke with a CM and she came back with a b'day cupcake and a card signed by the princesses. But it felt really forced. I know Disney has no obligation but they encourage you to celebrate and let them know.

8. Very friendly CMs in general. Had a couple of pixie dust moments. As RnR queue became long we decided with DD9 to go single rider after our FP ride. The CM distributing people to the limos was the same. She had two seats remaining and a family of four. Instead of going down the line calling for a party of two, she sent us together!

9. At Epcot we decided to wait in line so our girls could meet Santa Claud and Mrs Claus in the US pavillion. They were not there yet. DW was in line (with aprox 20 people in front) while DDs were around, when Mr and Mrs Clause showed up. Very inocently, DD4 called Santa Clause and just said 'hello'. He stopped on his way to his chair, came all the way to were DD4 was said hello back to her, took her by the hand and took her to his chair. Then asked if she had a sister and invited DD9 too! It was a very nice moment!

Sorry if it felt long, but there are some good tips along the way I wanted to share, plus we had such a wonderful trip, full of magic!

Hope somebody find this couple of tips useful.

Feel free to ask!

Have fun!

Mx

Sounds like a really great trip!

Wouldn't expect anything less from Santa ;)

Thanks for sharing! Enjoyable report to read. Glad you had fun. We feel the same about FP+. We prefer the old way, but are able to adapt to the new FP+ system. I like to plan, so it's not too bad. I agree about it being more relaxing for the FP runner (me:))

Glad you had a nice trip

Very cute story about Santa! :)

You bet! And it was a great experience for her because we speak spanish. She is 4 y.o. and learning English and starting to use the words she is adding to her vocabulary. So, while basic and simple, this felt like a reward for her and showed her the importance of learning another language. From then on she started to interact more with CMs and other kids.

Chalk it up for those needing educational examples of a trip to WDW.

Mx

You bet! And it was a great experience for her because we speak spanish. She is 4 y.o. and learning English and starting to use the words she is adding to her vocabulary. So, while basic and simple, this felt like a reward for her and showed her the importance of learning another language. From then on she started to interact more with CMs and other kids.

Chalk it up for those needing educational examples of a trip to WDW.

Mx

Awww...this makes your story about her encounter with Santa even sweeter! And what a good parent you are to recognize how this experience reinforces the importance of education.

On a related note, your comments make me wonder how Santa deals with all of the languages he hears at WDW. Anyone know how he responds if he interacts with a child he might not understand?

Awesome! I wish I could do 2 weeks there.

Where did u stay?

How many days did you get rain heavy enough to close outdoor rides? On those days, did they open up again w/in a few hours?

My brother was there the same week (thanksgiving and week after)...and sometimes going to customer service doesn't solve the problem. He and his family had a fast pass to Turtle Talk with Crush and it broke. Rather than telling them to use the Fastpass anywhere during the period, the CMs directed him to wait in a long line at the machines for the chance at Tier 2 rides he'd already ridden. Instead, he went to Customer Service to complain and after a 40 minute wait and then a CM who did zero for him (not even giving him a fast pass for Turtle Crush for a different day/time) and who said and I quote "There's nothing we can do. You're an annual pass holder. Just come back tomorrow." Well, my brother had to take the additional step of emailing Disney corporate that day with his CM experiences. It got him 3 Golden Fastpasses for use later on his trip (which he used for 7 dwarves and Anna and Elsa), but it also ruined the remainder of his family's EPCOT day and they did not go back to that park.

Awesome! I wish I could do 2 weeks there.

Where did u stay?

How many days did you get rain heavy enough to close outdoor rides? On those days, did they open up again w/in a few hours?

I stayed off site at Quality Suites Lake Buena Vista. Just at the entrance of Disney Territory. Every time we go we stay there.

2 days of heavy rain. One at MK when it poured like there was no tomorrow. DD4 was not feeling well so she stayed at the hotel with DW. I went to MK with DD9, and it was very difficult to move around. The train would not function, nir did the outdoor rides.

We had to spend like 30-45 mins in the big tent at the Circus for shelter.

Then we jumped to Little Marmaid and we reconstructed our day from there on.

Once the Thunderstorm passes by, rides are reopened.

Lots of brave park lovers. People walking under the rain with ponchos like it was a sunny day.

The other day with heavy rain was the following at Epcot. It was a pain because there is too much walking. But fortunately things got better in the afternoon when we got to the Showcase.

You jus have to be patient and be around the ride you want to hop on, to beat the masses that are released when the rain stops.

Mx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter