Just Back. Some Observations/Concerns

is smoking really not allowed at the pools? i did not know that!

SSR did have an ashtray where i was smoking - way off to the side by the whirlpool. I assumed that meant it was ok!

many many smokers ARE very careful where they smoke - fwiw... but just like many things a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch.

SueOKW said:
many many smokers ARE very careful where they smoke - fwiw... but just like many things a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch.

That's true, but more and more it seems to be not the case. Just Saturday I was leaving the Hobby Center in Houston after seeing "Wicked" :banana: .
There were SEVERAL thousand people at the Hobby Center, and the show was completely sold out. As we were streaming out of the theatre into the garage parking lot (think....people leaving the MK after "Wishes") this lady in front of me lights up as she is walking. Now, I understand that if you are addicted....three hours without a "fix" might be really hard for you...but seriously....we were packed like sardines into a stairwell!!

I said to my dh, "Follow me, I have GOT to find a way to get around this rude person who thinks it's okay to fill the stairwell with her smoke". So, we got in front of her. Finally, a man said, "If you don't put that out, I will put it out for you." People in the stairwell were FURIOUS!! She didn't care. There was one person smoking, and about 500 not....and she thought we were nuts and rude. But, fortunately she got a little intimidated....now, if she had been a large cowboy....a fight might've ensued. I just couldn't imagine the nerve of lighting up in a PACKED stairwell!!! Why didn't she just find a small corner off somewhere....smoke....and wait for the crowds to thin out?!! If my mom had been in that stairwell, she would've had to go to the doctor...and, might've missed her trip to Europe (she is leaving tomorrow).

People just don't think (or, they just don't care). If smokers were all polite and followed the rules, I don't think anyone would care. I think the biggest problem is that smokers tend to be the types of people that "break rules"...that's part of drew them to smoking in the first place.

Personally, I am just as bothered by the cigarette butts I find all over the place, as I am by smoke. Texas has a BIG "don't litter" campaign going on...has had one for years!! I have NEVER seen a smoker ticketed for throwing their cigarette butts out the window!! Why is that? And, why do smokers think it is okay to drop your ciggy butts wherever you finish them?!! The biggest problem I can see at places like pools is 1) where is your smoke going before it trails off (i.e. another chair next to yours), and 2) what are you doing with your cigarette butts? I don't want my dd (or anyone) to step on a bunch of cigarette butts as she is walking around the pool! And, dodging cigarette butts is not a pool "game" I would like for her to have to play.

If smokers would smoke outdoors, out of the breathing range of others, and throw away their nasty butts....no one would complain....but....that doesn't seem to be happening.

:wave:

Beca

Beca said:
I guess it comes down to "What is your definition of a bargain?" If CRO is renting DVC studios for $329 per night, isn't $200 a night a "bargain".

I think the reality may end up being, that if mousesavers and passporter start advertising that renting DVC is the "great secret" that the price may be driven up as there may become too many renters for the amount of points that are being rented by owners.

:wave:

Beca

Sure it is a bargain. Just like $200 for a discounted room at a Deluxe is a bargain... with all the benefits of reserving through CRO.

I'm not saying the going rate couldn't or shouldn't be a little higher... it is definitely a great deal now, particularly for people who don't mind weekdays only (wouldn't be me if I were renting, I like to stay somewhere a week at a time and not move). But those talking about a 40-50% increase in rental prices aren't necessarily recognizing that booking through a private owner is not an equal transaction to booking through Disney.

As a possible future DVC owner I certainly agree a higher going rate would be nice... but as someone who has rented DVC once several years ago and gone through CRO ever since, I know they are different transactions and there is a reason I have not done it again. I have no complaints about my experience.. the person I rented from was wonderful and went above and beyond in helping me with my ressie; I got an excellent rate ($9) as they were expiring soon; and I had a lovely experience at a BWV studio. (Only missed the maids a little bit.) But I have never done it again... too many attractive promotions and packages through Disney for regular rooms, and I rarely feel comfortable with paying for my vacation in full, non-refundable, 4-6 months in advance.

If the marketplace supports it, prices will rise. But I don't believe prices are hovering at the $10-11 mark just because DIS members are good-natured softies. :) There has to be some supply and demand at work here.

It also occurs to me that the reason the price has not risen much in the last few years is because DVC just keeps building so the rental market is flooded- more rooms, more owners, more people renting their points. If it were still just OKW/BWV... maybe prices would be at $13 by now. Just a thought.

Beca said:
I think the biggest problem is that smokers tend to be the types of people that "break rules"...that's part of drew them to smoking in the first place.

That's really not fair. I am not a smoker, never have been, and I can't stand to be around smoke, but I think it's rather presumptuous to say that smokers are the type of people that break rules. I know many smokers and that is far from the truth. I also don't see a connection between wanting to break rules and being drawn to smoking. Smoking is not illegal so someone is not breaking any rules by doing so. I'm surprised that a lot of smokers haven't objected to this comment.

KAMLEM said:
That's really not fair. I am not a smoker, never have been, and I can't stand to be around smoke, but I think it's rather presumptuous to say that smokers are the type of people that break rules. I know many smokers and that is far from the truth. I also don't see a connection between wanting to break rules and being drawn to smoking. Smoking is not illegal so someone is not breaking any rules by doing so. I'm surprised that a lot of smokers haven't objected to this comment.
Maybe not true that they want to be a rule breaker, but there certainly are a lot of "rude" smokers. I dare say I wouldn't care a fig if someone wanted to smoke, as long as they don't do it in my space or go where it is allowed. Unfortunately, there are far more rude smokers than considerate ones. I always thank someone when I see them standing in or headed to a smoking area instead of smoking where they were.

We just returned from BWV and didn't see too many "trashy" people. Where we saw more to be concerned about was Epcot toward the end of the week. (The first of the week was limited by the storm.) I think the problem stems more from F&W than anything else. I have no idea I]where[/I] these folks came from, but some of them were less than etiquette savy. On the whole, we had few complaints.

DisFlan

I respectfully disagree, Diane. I think there are far more considerate smokers, but because they are considerate, you don't notice them unless you are close enough to smell what is left of their last cigarette. The rude ones stick out like a sore thumb!

Almost all the smokers I know are considerate. Every guest I've ever had in my home with a habit has asked where it is appropriate to smoke. My coworkers, if I go out to the smoking area to talk to them - all start moving so they are downwind.

However, when smokers are rude, they are invading your space and you notice. Got burned in Fantasyland about six years ago because someone was walking through with a cigarette in crowded Fantasyland! And because she didn't want to get called on it, she had it discreetly down at her waist - just the right height for me to run my arm along the tip while trying to get by.

Sammie said:
I don't think it is any more the renters than it's a general decline in manners in general. As stated I seen this behavior at all resorts and everyday.
At WDW, DVC or any place with thousands of "the general public" milling about you will find all kinds of folks. WDW has a much better clientelle than other parks. Trust me, you should see Great Adventure (NJ) in the Summer. They give free passes on Coke cans and just about everyplace! It's down right scary at times. Drinking, pot smoking & fights in the parking lot, filth. Few families are there, park populated w/ packs of unruly teens and lots of police etc...You see the opposite at WDW, DVC...mostly families and nice folks at Disney. The prices of renting and park passes keep people (generally) on their best behavior. And, the place is CLEAN!!!!!!!That's also a sign of good customers as well as good management! I'll take Disney's clientelle, even the renters.... anytime!

On the smoking topic, I have no issues with people smoking in the parks but think that they should be considerate enough to do it in the smoking area. I have been concerned several times while walking when I noticed that my child could easily run into the cigarette in front of them that the person is carrying so low.

On the trashy, rude people, everywhere you go there will be inconsiderate people. I heard a man yelling at a CM at CBR because the guest had requested a king size bed, wasn't given one, complained the day that he checked in, was given a new room, and was now complaining about the inconv. of having to be moved! When we stayed at SSR and BWV during the same trip, we exper no problems.

On the point renting price, I think that it is too low, but can understand that people are renting them because they are going to expire, etc. I have rented points for $10 a point. I have rented points for around $4 a point to family to have them cover the dues only. I also plan on telling BIL the next time he wants to go with us that it will cost him $20 a point, the new going rate, to rent from us. Then he won't go!!! :rotfl:

FreeTime said:
On the smoking topic, I have no issues with people smoking in the parks but think that they should be considerate enough to do it in the smoking area. I have been concerned several times while walking when I noticed that my child could easily run into the cigarette in front of them that the person is carrying so low.
Most people are considerate. There are always a few trashy people that can't/won't read the map. It the inconsiderate non-smokers that REALLY tick me off! They sit in the smoke "zones" and complain about the smoking! Telling people to put them out because their children are there! Duh, don't sit in the 4 places in the entire park where there are smoking zones! :confused3

dcal said:
At WDW, DVC or any place with thousands of "the general public" milling about you will find all kinds of folks. WDW has a much better clientelle than other parks. Trust me, you should see Great Adventure (NJ) in the Summer. They give free passes on Coke cans and just about everyplace! It's down right scary at times. Drinking, pot smoking & fights in the parking lot, filth. Few families are there, park populated w/ packs of unruly teens and lots of police etc...You see the opposite at WDW, DVC...mostly families and nice folks at Disney. The prices of renting and park passes keep people (generally) on their best behavior. And, the place is CLEAN!!!!!!!That's also a sign of good customers as well as good management! I'll take Disney's clientelle, even the renters.... anytime!

I live in Jackson NJ Where Great Adventure is and NEVER go to the park it is dirty and un-safe, and as far as I'm concerned should be closed down. Disney is by far a very different place, but I do believe it has changed over the years as far as how it is serviced during the day. There was a time you couldn't move 20 feet without seeing a CM cleaning now by the end of the day it can get difficult to find a bathroom that isn't dirty. My hope with the change of management we will see an improvment in this department. My family spends all of our vacations at WDW as DVC members and we will always continue to do so we just would be happier to see it back to the way it once was.

ddave said:
Very easy to fix! Don't allow renting! :hyper2:

I would say don't allow renting to non-DVC owners. I own DVC but may need to rent a few points now and then....

Rude must be the in thing. Just got back from WDW. We were in the American exhibit at EPCOT listening to the preshow. The lady next to me told her son to be quiet because people want to hear the performance.........then she turned to her companion and started to talk loud enough to disturb people around her. There was no way of staring her down, she just kept on talking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter