Just back... Review of bcv, BLT and FP+

jlovesee

DIS Veteran
Just got back from an 11 night stay, 2 nights bcv studio and 9 nights BLT std view studio, we used FP+ and did online check in, we also ran the Dopey challenge while there. I wanted to report back because of all the "horror" stories I had read about all of the above.

First, FP+, I was probably one of the biggest doom and gloom anti-fans of FP+ out there prior to our trip. We had zero problems with our magic bands (of which we had 2 sets) or with FP+. To be honest, I liked magic band more the the old key to the world card, as at least a few times a trip on prior trips I would lose it, forget it or have to dig forever to find it. Loved the aspect of less to carry and not having to dig around for my room card at the door. Also since we did four races in a row (Dopey Challenge) it was especially nice not having to carry a room card, wrist band was extremely user friendly in that situation.

As far as FP+ I really did dislike the fact that I had to jump through endless hoops to buy the pass prior to the trip, link the pass etc, THAT was a royal pain in the you know where. Also I really think there needs to be more flexibility on that end as there are many situations where for whatever reason one can't buy their ticket until they arrive. With that being said, while I did Pre-schedule most of our FPs in about 75-80% of the time we were able to re-select or re-schedule our FP the night before or morning of. I LOVED the flexibility of very simply rescheduling FP times from my IPHONE anytime anywhere. For example when I scheduled Big Thunder to close to our Crystal Palace reservation I was able to reschedule that morning for an hour later time. This ended up allowing us greater flexibility and A Lot more rides, we have never ridden Midway Mania twice on a trip. It was also less stressful with no running around the park to obtain FP. I could see some issues with setting up FP the day of at the park as the lines were long and somewhat chaotic (though I don't see availability being an issue) but my view is greatly more optimistic then it was just a few weeks before.

Onto the resorts...
beach club villas studio room 106, booked okw at 7 months waitlisted bcv which came through in about 2-3 days.
Online check in requested 1st floor that's what we got.

I was terrified from the reports I read about room condition and the plain ugly white beds, neither turned out to be true. With that being said it does appear bcv is next in line for a refurb, there were a few scuffs in the room, carpet was faded a little but nothing I would issue a complaint on. Beds had a blue "scarf" that appears to be cut from the old bedspread enough to make the bed feel made alteast (though I dont subscribe to the "germy bedspreads are deadly" theory) I really liked the theming which surprised me and of course the location couldn't be beat.

I will try to post photos when I get home.

Bay Lake Tower room 7506 (5th floor),standard view studio booked at 11 months, walked the reservation.
Online check in requested high floor, north side got 5th floor with partial view of MK

Our 1st stay at BLT 3 years ago did not go so well the room was in "pretty poor" condition shelf was broken, scuffs and scratches all over the place, lots of problems so I was a bit worried about BLT this trip too. The room overall was in ok shape, toilet paper roll was off kilter on the wall (who designed that thing anyway?!) otherwise no major problems. Full cleaning on day 4, T&T day 8 no problems. LOVED being on the 5th floor, same floor as the sky walk, did I say we loved that? We were able to see Wishes fireworks easily from the room as had a good view of Space Mountain, no view of the water pageant though but very minor considering we were only "paying" standard points. Room also had the triple sheeting instead of duvet and the look was about the same. We didnt have any issues with being cold either and it got down to about 35 one night.

Location like bcv was great! We love the monorail so it worked well. The only complaints we have are two... 1)where is the contemporary merchandise all the deluxe resorts have it EXCEPT for contemporary 2)IMHO deluxes should not be sharing buses with 3+ resorts. (going to MGM we stopped at Poly and GF too that's crazy and buses were SRO NOT at open/close)

Overall had a great time, good transportation to and for the races from both bcv and BLT (used monorail to and bus from)

Any ? Let me know and I will be happy to try to answer.

Jennifer

Great report, thanks. We stayed at BCV from December 25 to 30. Our suite was in excellent condition and we love the location. Like you, we were happy with magic bands and found FP+ to be more flexible than we expected (with park admission purchased in advance). For us, the "limiter" is really whatever restaurants we choose for dinner reservations. That's what binds us to a particular park each day, not the FP+, which we scheduled after our meal locations were locked down.

I agree.. no reason to require a ticket to be tied to your ressie to get FP+ .. honestly you cannot get into the park without a ticket.. so I do not understand the fight to block FP + without attaching it. I think 90% of people would anyway, to have on the bands.. but the 10%, who get a ticket from UT, or buy with gift cards at the park, or are using an older ticket that cannot be linked, or ___add any other reason linking seems not to work here ____, would be a better experience.

This would be a better experience for anyone having prooblems.. and soooooooo easy...

How was the check in?
did you do the "on line" check in/ if so did you link your magic bands?

on your initial arrival to the gate, did you use your magic bands or just show your DVC/IC cards?

Sorry for all the questions, but we leave next week!!!! :cool1:

as you, I really don't want all of the hassles that we have read.

We linked our REV#'s and our tickets, so we get link Fast pass+/
plus link a reservation for lunch @ Be our Guest, which worked..so far pixiedust:

Looking forward to more of your report. :wave2:

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

IMHO deluxes should not be sharing buses with 3+ resorts. (going to MGM we stopped at Poly and GF too that's crazy and buses were SRO NOT at open/close)

Brought that up with the night transportation supervisor for DHS one time - after being jammed like sardines in a bus at DHS close (Poly and GF and CR and WL). She thought she could snow me by starting with "queue theory" and how it determined WDW bus assignment. I said "fine, let's discuss queue theory. I'm B.S. Industrial Engineering, M.S. Engineering Management - what are your qualifications and how does that change how you treat deluxe guests." She apologized - but apparently there is still no concern for deluxe resort guests being jammed into too few buses.

Sure let me try...
How was the check in?
did you do the "on line" check in/ if so did you link your magic bands?

Check in was easy, at BCV we were meet at the main entrance by a CM with a tablet and taken over to BCV to check in there, BLT we checked in at BLT. We had already received the magic bands in the mail, so we brought those with us. I had actually mixed the two sets up (new experience what can I say!) and BCV was able to figure out which set belonged to which resort.

We had linked our reservations to MyDisney when I set up the magic bands (about 60 days out), but we did still do online check in about 10 days prior to check in (approximately). I know a lot of people have mentioned problems with linking reservations, receiving magic bands and check in, we had zero problems.

Funny thing was, we had set up a 3rd magic band for my husband's sister who was supposed to come up from Miami but never did. A running friend of our's "borrowed" her magic band for FP+ when he was with us (used his own ticket to get into the park though), and never had a problem.

on your initial arrival to the gate, did you use your magic bands or just show your DVC/IC cards?
We just showed my drivers license. Didn't even stop to think if the magic band would work for that...

Sorry for all the questions, but we leave next week!!!!

as you, I really don't want all of the hassles that we have read.

We linked our REV#'s and our tickets, so we get link Fast pass+/
plus link a reservation for lunch @ Be our Guest, which worked..so far

Looking forward to more of your report.

Robin & Angel "D"

How did you deal with the size of a BLT studio? We just stayed there in a 1 bed and it was fabulous. We have 2 small kids 5 and 7 and we love the location and resort amenities , but a bit scared of the tiny studio for 4 people, granted we have only seen pictures. We have stayed at other studios with no issue , any thoughts on this?

I would LOVE to stay in a BLT 1 bedroom! With only 163 points though, and only 50 at BLT (we own 3 resorts and rotate between them) that will probably stay a dream for awhile.

BLT studios are small, this trip it was just husband and I and wasn't bad at all. I think the rooms were poorly designed though as it seems they waste so much space in the galley kitchen, its the only DVC studio that's designed that way I think.

We had Jeff's sister (husband sister) stay with us when we stayed there last 3 years ago, it was a bit crowded but douable. We pilled all the luggage in the closest (while still allowing the closest to be usable for clothes) and pilled the cushions from the sofa in the entrance alcove area, which is fairly spacious. In the morning we closed up the sofa, which was easy and allowed for more space.

I don't know if I would try it with four people though..

Jennifer

How did you deal with the size of a BLT studio? We just stayed there in a 1 bed and it was fabulous. We have 2 small kids 5 and 7 and we love the location and resort amenities , but a bit scared of the tiny studio for 4 people, granted we have only seen pictures. We have stayed at other studios with no issue , any thoughts on this?

bcv1.jpg

Ok going to give pics a try...

Some more of BCV...

bcv2.jpg

bcv3.jpg

bcv4.jpg

I like this one, it reminds me of what's left of the original Breakers at Cedar Point...What IS the deal with 7 doorways though? It makes me feel like I am in a "choose your own adventure" book (for those that remember those from the 80's)

View from 7506 at BLT to the right, not far enough to see electric water pageant.
blt1.jpg

View to the left... fireworks appear to be shot from just to the right of space mountain, so great view! (This was a STANDARD view room!)
blt2.jpg

blt3.jpg

View as the sunrises... shot about 6AM on Monday after the Dopey as my body just hadn't adjusted to waking at normal times yet again....

dopey.jpg

Sorry had to throw it in!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter