just back from western

mrossi

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone, we just returned from the 4/12 western!!!! It was an incredible trip. The weather was the best ever, 80-85 and sunny every day. Our last cruise was the 4 day on the Wonder, and this was much better. The food was greatly improved, there were many more choices for all of our meals, the buffets were good, and the service was excellent. I'll do a trip report soon, need to unpack first . The Rossi's p.s. if you have any questions, please ask, we were in the category 4 family room.

Did you have teenagers in Common Grounds? If so, were there times when the younger (13-14yo) had different activities from the 15-17yo group?

Thanks

Sorry, my girls are 9, 12, and 6. The kids in the young teen group had a great time though!!!! We saw them alot at night, and they were definately having fun. I do know that one activity is very popular and there was a wait list. It was a kayaking trip, possibly in castaway cay. I didn't pay much attention to their activities because my girls are too young...

Have the navigators changed form the ones posted on Barb & Tony's website?

We did our excursions on our own, in Key West we rented electric cars and did our own tour of the city, we also went to Kelly's beach for about 2 hours, and ended up having lunch at Margaritaville. We watched the beautiful sunset from deck 10. We didn't feel like getting off the ship again to go to Mallory Square. In Grand Cayman, we booked Capt. Marvins for snorkeling with the sting rays and one other spot. I would highly recommend snorkeling with the rays, there are numerous companies that go there. Capt Marvin's was good but very rushed, you only spend about 20 minutes in each spot. but I only booked a 2 hour trip, next time I'll go for longer. Even my 6 year old loved it and snorkeled. This took the better part of the day, so we went back to the ship. In Cozumel, we rented a 9 passenger suburban(130 dollars for the day), we drove to the ruins and spent a few hours, then we drove around a bit and finally ended up at Mr. Sanchos beach. We had a good time there, we rented jet skis, and swam for the day. The food was good. It only cost 110 dollars for the day for 9 of us to eat and drink. There is no admission to get in. Other cruisers went to Chanaab(soory for the miss spelling), they were very disappointed because it was very crowded. Mr. Sanchos wasn't.

I haven't seen Barb and Tony's web site, so I don't know. One thing that I believe is different from what I was told, is Monday is semi formal and Thurs. is formal

Hi,
we're going on Sat. Do you know night they light up animators rest? Did Mr. Sanchos have horsebackriding?
Thanks!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Glad you enjoyed your cruise! We are leaving on the Western in 2 1/2 weeks! We will have a category 4 also. Did you feel like you had enough space for the 5 of you? How did your 9 and 6 year old like the kids clubs? I have girls those ages also and it will be their first cruise. Also, which movies were playing? Thanks.

Wendlyn, They lit up Animators and did their show the first night we were there, the adults went to Palo on our second scheduled night, but the kids said at the end of the dinner they lit up the walls. We had the least desirable of the dining rotations, Parrot Cay 3 times. The only good thing about that rotation, is formal night was in Animators on Thurs, but we were in Palo so missed out.

Wendlyn, yes they had horseback riding, 30-35 per half hour, and kids were allowed to ride. They also rent atv's, and kids can drive as long as they can reach the handles to brake...... They also had banana boat rides, and no one came back dry!!!!

Bbgrizzle, The movies were piglets big movie, harry potter, the recruit, bringing down the house, Chicago, jungle book 2, spy kids 2, on tv in the cabin were signs, hercules, little mermaid, and a few more I can't think of right now. As far as the room size, we had previously done the 4 day and had 2 inside deluxe cabins, so the kids had 1 and we had 1. So when we got to the cat 4, it felt very small. If we cruise again, I would do 2 rooms, one outside with port hole and 1 inside. The space is more impt. to me than veranda. We are always out of our room, so didn't use it much, and I know the people on either side of us didn't use there's either. You need to be very organized so the room doesn't blow up. I unpacked 3 of us into the cabinets and drawers, and the other 2 were in their suitcases, anf this worked very well. The other thing we did, was my husband and I paid for the rain forest in the spa, it's only 50per person for the week. We would take our showers up ther, they have a very nice private shower with shower gel, shampoo and conditioner. The shower is much nicer than in the cabin. We were one of the few to take advantage of this, and it was wonderful. All cat. 4 rooms are on deck 8, so you only walk up 1 floor.

Bbgrizzle, my 6 year old spent the week in there, she loved every minute of it. They go to the movies as a group, which was nice because I really didn't want to see Piglets big movie. They took them to the sports deck for games, one night that's alot of fun is the bed time story with Goofy. He comes in his PJ's, and reads a short story, and then they color a pillowcase with fabric markers to take home. The bad thing about this, is it's Wed. night, the night of the big deck party, and she missed that. She had a wonderful week, and cried when we left. My 9 year old didn't go to the club much. We were on 2nd seating, so after leaving the pool or a port we got ready for the show at 6:30, after the main show we woulfd go to one of the clubs for family games, and then to dinner at 8:30. Dinner ends at 10, and by that time she wanted to stay with us. She did gi to the Pinata party one night because it started at 9:45. One fun family activity is on Monday, you make a car out of veges, and then race against the other teams. It becomes a race between the adults because the kids can't use he sharp knives, but it was fun. Just a hint, the HEAVIEST car usually wins.

when did you find out about formal night being on Thursday and not Monday?
we are leving for the western Magic on May 10 and I wanted to do Palo on semiformal
I don't want to pick the wrong day!
also my mil wanted to get her hair done on formal night

Just when we thought we had everything figured out!

Help!

16 days to go!!!!

I'm all packed!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

goffytoo, each night at the end of dinner, your server tells you about your meal choices for the next day, and what to wear. I was also very surprised when Monday was semi formal. We had already made Palo reservations for what we thought was semi formal night. So my children went to formal dinner and the asst. waiter took very good care of them, while we ate in Palo. Also, on our cruise, almost everyone was dressed appropriately. My husband wore a Tux, and so did many others. Even the children were dressed nicely. I've read other posts where people didn't dress up. But a suit is fine for men, my husband has a tux because he needs it for dinners occasionally. I wore a gown, but many women wore very nice cocktail length dresses. Also, Wed. night is casual for everyone on the ship. You are encouraged to wear your brightest, most festive clothes, and shorts are allowed, even for dinner. We were in Lumiere's that night, so it eliminated another dress up night for us. I wish they told you what your rotation was before you get on the ship, it would make packing much easier...

Mrossi - what company did you go through for the electric car in Key West? How was the experience? We were thinking about doing that. Thanks!

VAL

My husband rented it on Duval street, not far from the ship. We did not plan it ahead of time. It was alot of fun. Our children are 6, 9, and 12, so there isn't much to do in Key West for them. So we drove around for a while. We went to all the places on the train tour, but did it ourselves. It was alot more fun than renting a regular car. You are out in the open, and the kids loved it. It is built for 4, but we squeezed 5 since the 6 yr. old is small. It's a little expensive, but it's vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter