Just back from week long trip

Haley R

DIS Veteran
We just got back from our week long trip. It was just Dh and I and we were there 10/23-10/30. Here are my thoughts on the trip:

A week was way too long to do just Disney. We’ve stayed for a week before, but did sea world and discovery cove with Disney. We just wanted to be at home relaxing the entire trip. When people ask about the trip I’m going to try to be positive and not mention it but we just felt stressed for most of the vacation. The crowds were heavy most days and people were very rude. I heard too many parents yelling at their kids and kids screaming about wanting to go home or back to the hotel.

We did extra magic hours last night at mk and ended up leaving because it was pointless. Lines for everything were ridiculously long because cms were scanning every single person and often times the system wouldn’t work. Then every time someone asked a question the cm had to stop scanning. Haunted mansion said 15 minutes but we waited that long just to be scanned. We got to the front of the line for scanning and she stopped for a good 5-10 minutes so we just left. We went two years ago to emh and the park stayed open until 2 am. We were able to ride BTMR like 12 times. I know things are changing but Disney might need to figure out something else with them adding so many buildings which in turn allows a lot more people to come to emh.

The Halloween parties were pretty fun but standing in line for characters took up most of the party, which was our choice so not Disney’s fault at all. We just realized that trick or treating was so much more fun then waiting in line for the characters.

The prices for things at the food and wine festival were a little ridiculous. There were maybe one or two things that were worth what they charged for the portions we got. I like f&g a lot more than f&w.

We stayed at pop and beach club. Pop would’ve been fine but our neighbors were terrible. Again not Disney’s fault but back to how people were rude and inconsiderate. Beach club was pretty nice. We switched rooms from our first standard room which was the LAST room from the elevator and our magic bands didn’t work even though they tried 2-3 times. It was a lot of walking back and forth. Our second room was much better until we heard the beeping of something backing up in the morning at 6 am (we were right above the car port). It just seemed a little silly to pay $400/night for that experience but we knew that going in. The pool was fantastic and we spent the majority of our time in the sand pool where kids were making sand castles lol. It was really nice to be able to walk to Epcot.

Rides broke down quite often and it always seemed to be something we had a fp for so we got stuck in long fp lines. We also had a fp for BTMR yesterday and splash broke so guess where all of those people went to use their fp. The line went all the way down to the fp entrance. It happened at rnrc and a couple of other rides as well. For some reason it seemed like a lot more rides were breaking down this trip than we’ve experienced before.

We were very disappointed in the merchandise being sold out when we arrived. We weren’t able to get either of the popcorn buckets (oogie or cauldron), the green apple stein, the party pins were all gone. Luckily I bought a Halloween magic band before the trip because I didn’t see any of those on the trip. The party t shirt was limited in sizing available. It just seemed like a lot of things to be gone. I emailed guest services just to let them know we weren’t very happy and their response was to look on the Disney shop app for items to buy....obviously that doesn’t help me lol.

Overall, the trip was okay. It was nice to be away from home but at the same time we often found ourselves saying we wished we were at home relaxing with our cats. We will be taking a break from wdw for a little while to do and see other things. I never thought I would say that but unfortunately that’s how we feel.

If you read all the way through this thanks! I know it was a lot.

ETA: I forgot to mention something else. There were SO many people from England. Is there a large fall break going on there? I honestly think 70% of the people there had an English accent. It was crazy! They were all very friendly and polite but I was surprised.

Last edited:
I'm sorry your trip wasn't enjoyable. We had one of those in June 2016 and have taken a 2 1/2 year break. We will finally be heading back in December and I can't wait. Sounds like you do need to take a break for a little while, too...

I'm sorry your trip wasn't enjoyable. We had one of those in June 2016 and have taken a 2 1/2 year break. We will finally be heading back in December and I can't wait. Sounds like you do need to take a break for a little while, too...
I think we just did overkill on Disney this year. We did March the last three years but this year we did March, July, and October.

Urgh, that sounds like such a drag! I've heard October has been getting more and more crowded over the years and it sounds like your experience just adds another data point to that pile. I'm sorry you guys had to deal with all that :(

I have a question...when you say that a week was too long to do just Disney, would you say that it was because of the stress from crowds/noisy neighbors/ride breakdowns/etc., or more that a week was just too much time to do the Disney parks, period? I'm planning an eight-night stay for after SWGE opens but wonder if that will be too much. We had three days and felt like we barely got to see anything. Would love to hear your take.

(and that wasn't an overly long trip report at all, it was nice and concise :) )

Urgh, that sounds like such a drag! I've heard October has been getting more and more crowded over the years and it sounds like your experience just adds another data point to that pile. I'm sorry you guys had to deal with all that :(

I have a question...when you say that a week was too long to do just Disney, would you say that it was because of the stress from crowds/noisy neighbors/ride breakdowns/etc., or more that a week was just too much time to do the Disney parks, period? I'm planning an eight-night stay for after SWGE opens but wonder if that will be too much. We had three days and felt like we barely got to see anything. Would love to hear your take.

(and that wasn't an overly long trip report at all, it was nice and concise :) )
We just would’ve liked a break from the Disney parks, but we aren’t the type to sit at the resort all day. I would’ve liked a day somewhere in the city or the beach just for something different. We don’t really do Disney springs because we don’t like to shop that much when we already paid to be on vacation. We did really like beach club and swimming there.

Honestly for the most part it was the lack of sleep that probably killed us. We didn’t get enough sleep from our neighbors or outside noises and that made us grouchy the next day when we stayed out late at the parks. Dh took a 3 hour nap yesterday while I went swimming and he said it was amazing. It didn’t help that rides kept breaking down and we heard screaming kids or parents everywhere we went.

I would say for sure plan one or two days to do nothing but sit at the resort, eat, and swim. Your body will thank you and you won’t regret it. We went to the parks every day (not all day every day) and it still felt like too much. We constantly had to be somewhere on time for FPS or meals and it made things stressful.

Yes, I believe this past week was Fall Break for much of England. I think touring plans needs to add more international breaks into to their crowd prediction model, as breaks in Canada, Britain and Brazil seem to have a significant impact.

Your post reminds me of our family. For just the reasons you mentioned, our past several trips we have stayed offsite. A five bedroom luxury villa with it's own pool/hot tub, full kitchen, living room, etc. for the same price per night as one small room in a VALUE resort! We stay at Windsor Hills, which is a 5 minute drive from the parks - closer than many Disney resorts, even. And nice and quiet when you are in detached villa vs. a hotel room :)

We tend to do only 3 or 4 days at the Disney Parks, and then spend the rest of our days going to the beach, sleeping in and being by the pool, etc. Disney is kind of shooting itself in the foot with some of it's corner cutting lately. More and more guests are going to choose to stay offsite and spend less of their vacation days at the parks when their experiences are so negative.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe this past week was Fall Break for much of England. I think touring plans needs to add more international breaks into to their crowd prediction model, as breaks in Canada, Britain and Brazil seem to have a significant impact.

Your post reminds me of our family. For just the reasons you mentioned, our past several trips we have stayed offsite. A five bedroom luxury villa with it's own pool/hot tub, full kitchen, living room, etc. for the same price per night as one small room in a VALUE resort! We stay at Windsor Hills, which is a 5 minute drive from the parks - closer than many Disney resorts, even. And nice and quiet when you are in detached villa vs. a hotel room :)

We tend to do only 3 or 4 days at the Disney Parks, and then spend the rest of our days going to the beach, sleeping in and being by the pool, etc. Disney is kind of shooting itself in the foot with some of it's corner cutting lately. More and more guests are going to choose to stay offsite and spend less of their vacation days at the parks when their experiences is so negative.
I’m not sure if knowing about the fall break would’ve changed our mind about going but it would’ve been nice to know. It was so strange because I heard more English accents than American lol.

I actually did look at Windsor Hills for this trip by we got a decent rate at beach club through a TA. I chose Disney for the emh, magic express, and transportation system, but only 1/3 of those things was reliable (magic express). Emh was a disaster and the buses weren’t the best at beach club. We almost missed our fop fp at ak because they didn’t send a bus for 35-40 minutes in the morning. We almost took a Lyft. We did take a Lyft to our breakfast at grand Floridian (not Minnie van because they have priced us out of those now).

We are thinking about going to Phoenix in December or January because we can fly for $30-40 one way with frontier then we will stay in a vrbo.

I think we just did overkill on Disney this year. We did March the last three years but this year we did March, July, and October.

That takes me back to my childhood when there was a FL resident pass hat was valid three months of the year. My parents dragged us there what felt like every weekend of those months, until my sister and I begged to please not go to Disney world anymore!

My Canadian children think this is the craziest story ever. But my experience definitely suggests that there can be such a thing as too much disney—and that was back in the days of off season and low crowds!

That takes me back to my childhood when there was a FL resident pass hat was valid three months of the year. My parents dragged us there what felt like every weekend of those months, until my sister and I begged to please not go to Disney world anymore!

My Canadian children think this is the craziest story ever. But my experience definitely suggests that there can be such a thing as too much disney—and that was back in the days of off season and low crowds!
There is definitely a thing as too much Disney. I used to not think so but now I see. Dh was kind of already there but this trip was a birthday present for me so he went along with it. He gets to pick the next trip and we are going to Japan in May so we are very excited for that. We are excited to take a road trip somewhere and just go with the flow.

We have been going in October since 2005 and it has steadily gotten busier. We own DVC and generally group our trips every other year and get APs. Thanks to the APs we don’t feel the need to visit the parks everyday, our maximize our time there so that helps, but I completely understand where you are coming from...I have had similar thoughts myself.

We also find some things off property to do, gator land, Orange picking, and my college age daughter wants to scout the locations from the movie “the Florida Project” (filmed mostly in Kissimmee) on our next trip.

I think eventually Disney Fatigue can hit even the most ardent fan.

I'm sorry to hear your experience wasn't great. We were literally on property and parks most of the same week as you (10/21-10/26, 10/21 was just a late night arrival, though) and literally had what I'd consider as a dream week at Disney. But everyone's magic varies, I guess.

I would concur, that if you're staying longer than 5 days, that one of them has to be a complete off-day from the parks. Relax at the resort, swim, whatever. But one day has to be park-free. We were there for five, and even our MNSSHP party was a relaxation day until we went over the MK at 5PM.

We just got back from our week long trip. It was just Dh and I and we were there 10/23-10/30. Here are my thoughts on the trip:

A week was way too long to do just Disney. We’ve stayed for a week before, but did sea world and discovery cove with Disney. We just wanted to be at home relaxing the entire trip. When people ask about the trip I’m going to try to be positive and not mention it but we just felt stressed for most of the vacation. The crowds were heavy most days and people were very rude. I heard too many parents yelling at their kids and kids screaming about wanting to go home or back to the hotel.

We did extra magic hours last night at mk and ended up leaving because it was pointless. Lines for everything were ridiculously long because cms were scanning every single person and often times the system wouldn’t work. Then every time someone asked a question the cm had to stop scanning. Haunted mansion said 15 minutes but we waited that long just to be scanned. We got to the front of the line for scanning and she stopped for a good 5-10 minutes so we just left. We went two years ago to emh and the park stayed open until 2 am. We were able to ride BTMR like 12 times. I know things are changing but Disney might need to figure out something else with them adding so many buildings which in turn allows a lot more people to come to emh.

The Halloween parties were pretty fun but standing in line for characters took up most of the party, which was our choice so not Disney’s fault at all. We just realized that trick or treating was so much more fun then waiting in line for the characters.

The prices for things at the food and wine festival were a little ridiculous. There were maybe one or two things that were worth what they charged for the portions we got. I like f&g a lot more than f&w.

We stayed at pop and beach club. Pop would’ve been fine but our neighbors were terrible. Again not Disney’s fault but back to how people were rude and inconsiderate. Beach club was pretty nice. We switched rooms from our first standard room which was the LAST room from the elevator and our magic bands didn’t work even though they tried 2-3 times. It was a lot of walking back and forth. Our second room was much better until we heard the beeping of something backing up in the morning at 6 am (we were right above the car port). It just seemed a little silly to pay $400/night for that experience but we knew that going in. The pool was fantastic and we spent the majority of our time in the sand pool where kids were making sand castles lol. It was really nice to be able to walk to Epcot.

Rides broke down quite often and it always seemed to be something we had a fp for so we got stuck in long fp lines. We also had a fp for BTMR yesterday and splash broke so guess where all of those people went to use their fp. The line went all the way down to the fp entrance. It happened at rnrc and a couple of other rides as well. For some reason it seemed like a lot more rides were breaking down this trip than we’ve experienced before.

We were very disappointed in the merchandise being sold out when we arrived. We weren’t able to get either of the popcorn buckets (oogie or cauldron), the green apple stein, the party pins were all gone. Luckily I bought a Halloween magic band before the trip because I didn’t see any of those on the trip. The party t shirt was limited in sizing available. It just seemed like a lot of things to be gone. I emailed guest services just to let them know we weren’t very happy and their response was to look on the Disney shop app for items to buy....obviously that doesn’t help me lol.

Overall, the trip was okay. It was nice to be away from home but at the same time we often found ourselves saying we wished we were at home relaxing with our cats. We will be taking a break from wdw for a little while to do and see other things. I never thought I would say that but unfortunately that’s how we feel.

ETA: I forgot to mention something else. There were SO many people from England. Is there a large fall break going on there? I honestly think 70% of the people there had an English accent. It was crazy! They were all very friendly and polite but I was surprised.

I'm sorry to hear your experience wasn't great. We were literally on property and parks most of the same week as you (10/21-10/26, 10/21 was just a late night arrival, though) and literally had what I'd consider as a dream week at Disney. But everyone's magic varies, I guess.

I would concur, that if you're staying longer than 5 days, that one of them has to be a complete off-day from the parks. Relax at the resort, swim, whatever. But one day has to be park-free. We were there for five, and even our MNSSHP party was a relaxation day until we went over the MK at 5PM.
That’s weird that we had such different experiences. Did you go often this year?

Idk, I just got back from 5 days at the park and I thought the crowds were pretty reasonable.
I didn’t think the crowds were that bad, but the attitude and behavior of the crowds were a problem for us. Lots of rude guests and people being horrible to their children.

I keep forgetting new things to mention lol.

I saw so many dogs in strollers this time. Is that new? I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a dog in a stroller before but I saw at least 5 on our trip.

Thanks for sharing! Disney is so popular(including the English) that people are crowding in despite record prices. Prices are too high and lines are too long but everyone keeps going!

When we overcrowd people get rude because it’s natural to get grumpy in crowds. So sorry to hear your trip made you wish you were at home

My friends returned from Disney in September and shared your sentiments!

Oddly enough, we felt like this October trip (11-21) was the least-crowded October trip we've had in five or six years.

We have been going in October since 2005 and it has steadily gotten busier. We own DVC and generally group our trips every other year and get APs. Thanks to the APs we don’t feel the need to visit the parks everyday, our maximize our time there so that helps, but I completely understand where you are coming from...I have had similar thoughts myself.

We also find some things off property to do, gator land, Orange picking, and my college age daughter wants to scout the locations from the movie “the Florida Project” (filmed mostly in Kissimmee) on our next trip.

I think eventually Disney Fatigue can hit even the most ardent fan.

LOVED THAT MOVIE!

Oddly enough, we felt like this October trip (11-21) was the least-crowded October trip we've had in five or six years.
Did you go to epcot on a Saturday? We went on a Friday night and it actually wasn’t too bad but then we went Saturday during the afternoon to get pressed pennies and never again. We also went to mk on a party day because we thought there would be less people but it was packed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter