Just Back from Vero BEAch

BobH

DIS Veteran
Vero BEach is in a fantastic location. Sonya's Sunday Brunch is spectacular but get there early to avoid the crush - it is popular. If you are travelling with adults only try the Black Pearl Restaurant at # 4445 on A1A about halfway between the resort and downtown VERO. It is pricey but as good as it gets. Sunday through Thursday from 4:30 to 5:30 the prices are reduced to about $15 an entree from regular times when it is $22 and up. WE spent about $80 for two people including a martini, and desert and the tip. Shutters restaurant was convenient but unremarkable. All DVC staff were terrific. One complaint - too much trash left on the beach by resort guests. Sea Turtles are endangered species and can ingest this trash with fatal consequences. Get in the drawing for the Park Ranger Turtle walk. It will change your mind about being careless about leaving your rubbish flying around the beach.

BobH, I've been waiting to hear from someone who tried the Black Pearl! It always sounded interesting...now I've got a review to go on. Thanks for the report.

I love Vero-it is one of my home resorts. Next trip there is early Dec. I completed a survey at Vero last year and commented about garbage on the beach-even suggested that early am resort volunteers might be interested in getting together a couple of times a week to help clean up (ecological project). Also suggested that trash containers with perhaps a small shovel (infection control) be placed inconspicously on the beach; there was no place to put garbage I saw or pick it up safely. In lieu of that (the recommendation was seen as offending guests) perhaps more staff involvement in trash cleanup would be appropriate given the environmental nature of the resort.

I did see 2 Vero staff members making a patrol of the beach for trash while I was there. However, it seemed like a lot of people were careless and these efforts to pick it up were negated shortly afterward. From what I learned they cannot use a tractor drawn rake as is done
at many other beaches because the loggerhead sea turtles deposit their eggs about 18 inches below the surface of the sand and apparently the automated trash units dig up the turtle's eggs along with the sand. It seemed to me that if visitors took away everything they came with the trash problem would be solved. Obviously storms would deposit some other trash, but the main problem I saw was with the trash the daily guests left behind. It was not overwhelming but I guess I am getting to the age where I have zero tolerance for trash in an area responsible for an endangered species.:cool:

Your point is well taken! My tolerance for leaving trash behind is pretty low as well-hopefully Vero members and guests will remember to think environmentally and also teach their children to as well in the process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter