Just back from Italy...

I've heard from several past travelers that this Adventure felt more rushed than others they had been on. Did you feel rushed at meals and activities so that you kept to the schedule? Thanks for your input!

I have just started looking at this trip hoping to go in 2019. I don't even know where to start with questions. It looks incredible. Did you have kids with you on your trip? I've heard nothing but good reviews of this trip.

I've heard from several past travelers that this Adventure felt more rushed than others they had been on. Did you feel rushed at meals and activities so that you kept to the schedule? Thanks for your input!

I don't have anything to compare it to, but we never felt rushed at meals or touring the sights. I will say however, that this is a very busy itinerary and we were "up and at'em" every day especially in Rome. The second day in Rome was a long one (and it was hot!) but the guides handled it wonderfully. It's not exactly a relaxing trip, but we did get some down time at the pools in the afternoon.

I have just started looking at this trip hoping to go in 2019. I don't even know where to start with questions. It looks incredible. Did you have kids with you on your trip? I've heard nothing but good reviews of this trip.

Yes, we brought our 9 yr old daughter and 12 yr old son. Having other kids on the trip was a lifesaver. They all bonded quite nicely and it made them want to do the activities even more. Knowing my kids, this itinerary wouldn't have gone well if we did it on our own! The guides, along with the other kids, made it wonderful.

Just back from our first ABD to Italy (Rome, Tuscany & Venice) and it was incredible. The guides, the itinerary, all of it! I'd be happy to answer any questions!

I would love to hear how you children handled touring the museums? My children find them very boring. Must be their short attention span. LOL

Just back from our first ABD to Italy (Rome, Tuscany & Venice) and it was incredible. The guides, the itinerary, all of it! I'd be happy to answer any questions!

We are travelling on next week's adult only trip.

1)We are arriving a day early. What was it in Rome that you did *not* see that you wanted to see? Did you see the forum? Any suggestions for some extra time?
2)Did the guides make any accommodations for the heat? Looks like it was over 100 recently. Hopefully next week will be low '90s.

Thanks!

I would love to hear how you children handled touring the museums? My children find them very boring. Must be their short attention span. LOL
They did surprisingly well. The guides did a great job of keeping them engaged while still talking to the adults. When we were at the Doges in Venice, the guides actually took them on a separate scavenger hunt while we went with the local guide. Also, having other kids there made it more fun :)

How was the on your own time in each location? It seems like there is more OYO time on this trip than other itineraries I have done. Any "must do" activities you would suggest for on your own time?

1)We are arriving a day early. What was it in Rome that you did *not* see that you wanted to see? Did you see the forum? Any suggestions for some extra time?
2)Did the guides make any accommodations for the heat? Looks like it was over 100 recently. Hopefully next week will be low '90s.

Thanks!

:wave2: We are on next week's adult only trip too!

Thanks!
We didn't do the forum. The itinerary hit all the places we wanted to see. There was another family that arrived a day early and did a trip south which sounded nice. It was so hot that we promised the kids the pool to keep everyone happy :) Which leads to the next question... it got up around 108-110 degrees last week. The guides handled it great-- they always had water on hand and directed us in the shade as much as possible. I think we cut through some back alleys to remain in the shade. They were honest about optional activities (like the palazzo in Florence) being unconditioned and tough so people could make their own decision. I think they did the best they could do given the situation.

We didn't do the forum. The itinerary hit all the places we wanted to see. There was another family that arrived a day early and did a trip south which sounded nice. It was so hot that we promised the kids the pool to keep everyone happy :) Which leads to the next question... it got up around 108-110 degrees last week. The guides handled it great-- they always had water on hand and directed us in the shade as much as possible. I think we cut through some back alleys to remain in the shade. They were honest about optional activities (like the palazzo in Florence) being unconditioned and tough so people could make their own decision. I think they did the best they could do given the situation.

Question about the heat. I am not familiar with Italy climate. I assume 108-110 is humid heat? or is it a dry heat? I know that makes a huge difference. We had a couple days of 105-110 on our trip to AZ/UT and while it was still VERY hot I wasn't overwhelmed due to the dryness of the air. I barely broke a sweat. I felt worse when I returned to Ohio and had 90 degrees and humidity. LOL

Question about the heat. I am not familiar with Italy climate. I assume 108-110 is humid heat? or is it a dry heat? I know that makes a huge difference. We had a couple days of 105-110 on our trip to AZ/UT and while it was still VERY hot I wasn't overwhelmed due to the dryness of the air. I barely broke a sweat. I felt worse when I returned to Ohio and had 90 degrees and humidity. LOL
It was a dry heat in Rome and Tuscany and it was relatively manageable. In Venice, it was 90 and humid and it affected us much more.

It was a dry heat in Rome and Tuscany and it was relatively manageable. In Venice, it was 90 and humid and it affected us much more.

We hit very hot weather in Spain this May. But, what a difference when it's "dry heat"! I always laughed at "it's not the heat - it's the humidity" joke, but it's true!! Shade and a hand fan made it manageable for me, too! :goodvibes

Which airline did you use? Did you do any pre or post traveling? I am trying to find flights for a possible Italy trip.

Which airline did you use? Did you do any pre or post traveling? I am trying to find flights for a possible Italy trip.
We didn't do any pre or post days but we flew Delta. JFK direct to Rome and direct back from Venice. We were happy with them.

We also just got back from Italy and flew British Airways. No pre or post this time but wish we had. An extra day or 2 in Rome and an extra day or 2 in Venice.

A bit of advice: If you get there a day early, ask your guides how to get to Ostia Antica. It is an ancient town just outside of Rome, that is better preserved than Pompei, and far less visitors. We did it and it was amazing. We took the Rome subway and a short train ride, which was a lot of fun. You can do it on the first official day of your tour when all you have is the welcome dinner in the evening.

A bit of advice: If you get there a day early, ask your guides how to get to Ostia Antica. It is an ancient town just outside of Rome, that is better preserved than Pompei, and far less visitors. We did it and it was amazing. We took the Rome subway and a short train ride, which was a lot of fun. You can do it on the first official day of your tour when all you have is the welcome dinner in the evening.
Good advice! I totally forgot we went there in 2005. It was an easy train ride and well worth it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter