Just back from DLP & Paris

tclowe

Mouseketeer
Hi, thanks everyone for your advice. My family from San Francisco had a great time at Disneyland Paris (Sept. 21-25th). Weather was great, only a little shower during one evening and for two hours on another day.

We took the Disney shuttle from CDG to Disneyland Hotel. It was really the easiest way after a long flight. The shuttle schedule and cost is posted on the wall next to the shuttle stop (For terminal 1, between Gate 30 & 32 on the departure level). You have to put your own luggage into the storage area under the bus then board the bus by paying in Euro or by credit card. We were the last stop for the shuttle.

Disneyland Hotel is the only way to go if you have small children. It was wonderful that we did not have to hike far to get back to the Hotel for a nap or after a long day. This hotel is really beautiful and far outshines the other hotels on the property. Upon checking in, we received 3 fastpasses per person for our use during our stay. We booked a standard room and unfortunately, was assigned a room in the boonies near the kid's corner & swimming pool side of the hotel. It took forever to hike from the main entrance to the 2nd floor and then walk a long hallway, then get on another elevator to the floor and then walk to the very end of the wing. Luckily, we had a leak from the ceiling near our bathroom at 3:30 am. Maintenance came and fixed the leak (maybe air conditioning condensing water)Complained to the front desk next morning and was moved to a much closer room near the main entrance on the 3rd Floor. Didn't care if we got a view, just did not want to deal with a long walk back to our rooms at the end of a long & tiring day.

The free breakfast in the morning was great. We always went around 8:15am and had no wait and lots of quality time with the characters hanging around outside the buffet breakfast. Then as we left the breakfast to go outside (around 9:00 am), it was a zoo everyday. There would be long lines for the buffet as well as long lines with pushing and shoving for pictures and autographs with the characters.

Sunday's crowd was pretty big and the wait for the train around the park at Disneyland Park took forever. This was a opportunity to notice that we stuck out among the crowd by 1) being Asians who spoke fluent English, 2) wearing a Minnie t-shirt (some of the kids in line were dressed like they were going to Church and their mommy had really high heels on), and 3) we brought out our tarzan spinning fan and my precious pin lanyard. Boy, it was weird to see so many people at the park who were NOT Disney crazy (no t-shirts, no kid costumes, no caps & no pin lanyard around anyone's neck). No excitement for the Disney Magic. This was really different than going to WDW or Disneyland at Anaheim.

Not really impressed with the dining at DLP. The lunch at Auberge de Cendrillon took forever (wait staff moved at a snail's pace even though there were not many customers), the food was okay but a bit pricey, and the restaurant didn't feel special even though the wood panelling & murals of Cinderella were really nice. We also ate at Inventions (or is it Innovations) for Character buffet dinner, Rainforest Cafe, Pizza at Studios' backlot, and hamburgers & chicken sandwich at Videopolis. Only meal that we really enjoyed was Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. The food was slightly above average but combined with the audience participation of the show, we had a great time and my son liked pounding on the table with his fist and the food utensils.

Disney Village is a fun place to hang out. Everyone eats late and hangs out around the restaurants, shops, and entertainment until at least midnight. We even paid 2 euros per person to take the little train ride around the lake (it made two stops to different Disney hotels). Nice nighttime ride to take with a little child. Only last about 10 minutes, well, maybe 15 minutes.

Would love to visit again and stay at the Newport Bay or Disneyland Hotel. Sorry for the long report. I have a couple of extra park maps. Just drop me an e-mail with a request or questions about my visit.

Thanks again to all the regulars on this board for your help.

Cynthia

I'm so glad you had a nice time and enjoyed The Disneyland Hotel - I agree, it is the best hotel by far if you have young children.

Thank-You for your super report :)

Richard :)

nice report..... looking forward to revisiting dlp over the christmas holiday and cant wait....

only two of us both adults any tips for the best meals end evening entertainment i here some of the bars in the hotels are excellent, especially the one with the roaring log fire which sounds perfect for xmas, is that at the seqouia ???

its funny what you say about the europeans dresing for disney...we were there last march and it rained so hard the streets were actually flooded, however whilst we froze in ponchos and fleeces the french and germans had gourgeous cashmere coats and trilbys and leather gloves and patent shoes looking warm and immaculate at all times.

:earsboy:

Yes, don't ask, we do seem to dress up. I have attended the park in my best suits for 5th, 10th birthday's, and my own b'day too!

What's even funnier, is that in Tokyo, it is right to the other extreme, where everyone is very smart indeed all the time. They really do view it as a special event. More well behaved too.

There is a lot of disrespect in Paris for everything, just look at parade and fireworks times, where people are climbing fences, on the grass verges, even climbing trees!!! This does not happen in Tokyo, not even one foot is crossed past the rope line at parades!!! If they are told to wait on one side of the street until the parade is ended, they will stay!

WDW is a little better than Paris for guest behaviour, but not much. I guess it is a culture thing. It also angers me when going around DLP to hear the English (although I am English, please dont shout at me) sigh and complain at the amount of French used, as if it is Disney and the thought of any other language is ridiculous. I had to tell some other guests (yes English) to please be quiet as I couldn't here the preshow on one of the attractions, they realised I was English and responded with a reply: "Does it matter....its in French, what's the point?", with which I replied "Well I understand French, so you are ruining the sow for me", and this seemed to shut everyone up around that time, much to my applaud from the French! :o)

I think if Disney itself and the experience you go through doesn't humble a person, then I guess nothing will, and some people will never change.

By the way, I wasn't moaning..... just wanted to say that there is nothing wrong with dressing up for the Magic Kingdom :tongue:

Have a Disney Day!

Simes

We visited DLP last month and I too noticed that people were definitely NOT dressed like they do at the US Parks (never been to the Tokyo Park so I can't say).

My Mom just gave me a bagful of old pictures of me as a child. We spent a lot of time at Disneyland (California) when I was a child since my Grandparents lived in N. Hollywood. There is a picture of me, my Grandma and my Grandpa standing in Fantasyland in front of the Whale at the Storybook Canals, it is 1975 and my Grandpa has on a suit and tie! He was always a snazzy dresser, and apparently going to a theme park was no exception.

He would have really fit in at DLP!:p

In Europe we don't like to queue.
The most popular airlines are those that have no seat allocation and you get a free for all at the gate, no line definers.
Disneyland Paris is JUST a theme park to many people.
Sky satelite television has a lot to do with the growing interest in the parks as it is now showing the Disney channel.
As a visiter to America for 30 years my kids were brought up with Disney .
All things American have in someways in France been a turnoff as the French people fight to conserve their language from being AMERICANISED as a MTV
Remember its kids that bring us to Disney and then we leave them behind and go ourselves LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter