Just back from 5 FAB nights @ The Swan

lorilori

DIS Veteran
Hi all. Just got back late last night from five FABULOUS nights at the Swan. Our first time there, having stayed at the Dolphin twice before and it was WONDERFUL. We stayed in a refurbished room on the 3rd floor (absolutely beautiful), had Club Level access and finally met Mama T, a most wonderful person. Any questions, please just ask!

I'm glad you had a great stay! You were in 3rd fl with refurbished room, do you have any idea which floors/sections have been refurbished? Any sign of floors "in process"? or floors to avoid in upcoming weeks? We are headed down in 2 1/2 weeks. Thanks

Welcome back!

Details, I want details!

What did your room look like? Did your room have a balcony, and what kind of view did you have?

And what about the bed--was it a heavenly bed?

Hi lorilori

Welcome back! I'm glad you enjoyed the Swan. We will be at the Dolphin next Monday for 5 nights after 3 nights at the WL. You said you stayed on the 3rd floor and had CL access. Can you tell me if this an upgrade or can you actualy pay for CL and request that your room be on a non CL floor? Thanks.:D

I honestly don't know which floors/sections were being refurbished since I didn't see or hear any pounding, building, etc. at all which was very nice.

Our room had a slight new carpet/new wallpaper smell to it, for lack of a better description, not unpleasant, just there. The room had two queen Heavenly beds with huge down comforters that almost took up the whole room! It was just the most comfortable bed! Oh and light switches built into the headboard so you didn't have to get up to shut off the overhead lamps. It also had a wonderfully long desk/vanity with only the tv on one end so lots of table space there plus a small table and 2 chairs and an oversized sitting chair. The bathroom was great with the extra sink area outside the bath area. Opposite that was a closet with the safe.

We didn't have a balcony, not sure which rooms do have them there and our view would have been of the waterway but we couldn't see it since the trees were so full against the window and the 3rd floor isn't high enough to see over the trees. But it was incredibly peaceful and quiet. We were just around the corner off the elevator, room 341.

We had received a complimentary upgrade to club privileges (thank you SwanDolphin!) and met others in the lounge who were also NOT staying on the club floor (think it's floor 12, not sure). I don't think we ever waited more than a minute for an elevator and the hotel was sold out for part of our trip so that was great.

The room was just so nice and relaxing, wonderful to come back to after the days in the park. I was excited to stay there to compare it to the Dolphin and both my husband and I still don't know which resort we prefer. The Swan as others say is definitely quieter, calmer and not as overwhelming, but the Dolphin is 'happening' as my daughter said. The walk to the grotto pool (LOVE that pool!) didn't take long at all except at night when we were so relaxed from the jacuzzi!

Any other questions, just ask!

Welcome back, Lorilori! We'll be staying at the Swan in 2 weeks and I was wondering a few things...

Did you use the laundry facilities? Does the Swan have a gym? Can I buy milk at the store in the lobby? Were check in and check out smooth? What did you think of the $8/day resort fee? How did you happen upon that upgrade to CL? Which of the resort restaurants did you eat in? Did you walk to Epcot and MGM? How was the transportation?

Stop me before I blow a question gasket! Thanks for any answers. :p

Sharon

Hi Sharon - great questions! Yes, we used the laundry room. It's in the Dolphin on the side by the pool so we put two loads in while we swam; very convenient. The machines use tokens, 4 tokens for a dollar. Each load costs 6 tokens to wash and 6 tokens to dry. They had quite a few machines though so we didn't have to wait for anything.

The Swan has a gym by their quiet pool. We didn't use it but I remember seeing quite a few people there on our way to the Grotto pool.

We bought a few things downstairs at the Dolphin so I'm not sure if they had milk at the Swan.

Check in was just okay. We checked in about 4pm and although our room was ready which was a good thing, we had a new person checking us in and it took a while. I'm a very patient person, but I can imagine others might have had enough right about the time he couldn't figure out how to apply my two nights deposit. He left me quite a few times to go behind the wall to see his manager, but I guess that's part of the learning curve. I did have to ask him for the room keys when it was all said and done though. And still he wouldn't waive the $8 resort fee. LOL!

My upgrade to CL was a courtesy because of a prior experience at the Dolphin, nothing bad, just a mix-up with a room. We didn't eat in any of the great restaurants, only icecream downstairs at the Dolphin Fountain.

We walked everywhere! It is SO nice to walk into Epcot through the back entrance and especially nice leaving there after Illuminations when everyone else is fighting their way to the front of Epcot. Our preference was to walk to MGM in the morning, but take the boat back at night. It's a very relaxing ride. The walk around Boardwalk at night is great as well with all the lights and people and little stands set up.

The bus to MK stops at the Swan first, then Dolphin, then 2 more hotels (Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach or vice versa). It was good in that the Swan is the first pickup so we always had seats, but it is a long ride with the other stops. However, when returning, the first drop off is the Swan which is really wonderful.

And now that I've written a novel...
Lori

Lori, since you said your room had a long table with the TV on it, where did you put your clothes?

Is there still an armoir in the room w/the mini-bar? Or is there a separate dresser now?

Sharon,
We ate at Palio at the Swan and LOVED it. Great food, service and atmosphere.

lorilori,
Glad you had such a good time. Thanks for all your info about the Swan. We will be there for Christmas for the first time at the S/D. We have a jr. suite in CL with platinum spg. We are excited and always glad to hear of great trips there. Did you enjoy CL? How often did you use it?

Carol

Hi. Apologies for the vague description. It was a very looong dresser/table with the tv on top (exposed, not in a cabinet), a set of 2 drawers underneath on each side as well as the minibar cabinet underneath. There was also an endtable between the beds, but no tall armoire like at Royal Pacific @ Universal.

We enjoyed dinner at Palio last time and it was very good.

I was usually one of the first up to CL at 7:00a.m., enjoying watching the world wake up through all the windows with my coffee and chocolate croissant. It overlooks the front of the hotel, the pool area of Boardwalk and the waterway. My DH would bring the kids up when they woke up. We usually also stopped in at 5p.m. for a snack to hold us over so we could have a later dinner when the parks were closing. The 5-7 had one hot selection (mini egg rolls, cheese/pepper wraps, etc.) and fruit and vegetable trays and of course the wonderful cookie trays.

I know I mentioned it somewhere else, but I'll say it again: Mama T in the morning was great. Just really nice to talk to and she kept everything perfectly re-filled. It was so cool to meet someone who really likes their job. LOL!

lorilori, thanks for so much specific information! This thread was VERY helpful! You didn't happen to take any pictures of that beautiful room did you?

Can't wait until April. I've been racking up the points on my Starwood American Express card for upgrades. Counting the days!:Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter