Just Back - 6/23 through 6/30 trip

waldiddy

Mouseketeer
I have a bone to pick with some members of this community. After several visits to the Crystal Palace, I can't wrap my head around the haters or folks who dis it, comparing it to Golden Corral. Have you ever actually eaten at a Golden Corral??? There is no comparison. Of course, that unfortunately holds true for the price, as well.

We had dinner there on Friday, and every single thing off that buffet line was delicious. Beer battered white fish, delectable kielbasa, every cold salad we tried was great, the steamed veggies were flavored with a wonderful garlic dressing, and the carved meats were great. I can't ever remember all the offerings to do them justice. I do know we all loved the south-west style corn pudding. Oh, and the whole carrots were wonderful. The only compliant I can muster is that some of the desserts were bland and it would be nice if they varied the characters a bit. Wouldn't it be cool to see Rabbit and/or Kanga in the CP on occasion? Seems like they've had the same 4 characters there for 20+ years!

We also did a visit to WDW back in Feb, for the week after President's Day. Several days last week seemed less crowded. I guess this has been a trend noted by many, where the summer crowds just aren't as big as they used to be, but the off-season ain't 'off' no more. As far as weather, the June heat was really intense, but oddly, we would get hours of mid-70s temperature post-thunderstorm. The weather this past Sat afternoon in the MK was an absolute delight, once the rain dwindled to a light sprinkle before vanishing completely.

Mobile ordering for counter service worked well. I couldn't get the app to ever work back in Feb; this trip, no problems at all.

Lines were manageable with a bit of advance planning. It never ceases to amaze me the number of folks who stand in line at WDW to buy park tickets, who don't know what FastPass is, or the hordes of folks streaming into the parks by noon. This Sat, the MK felt nearly empty for the first 90 minutes. When a park opens at 8 am, definitely take advantage. Speaking of which, what's the name of the coffee place at the TTC? I'm fairly blasé about cinnamon rolls. I don't generally eat them. They're just … OK. Since we didn't have time for a proper breakfast one morning, we decided to split a roll at the TTC. Holy moley! Their cinnamon rolls are incredible!! All these years visiting WDW and I never ate a pastry there before now??? What a waste!

Want to skip the mid-day craziness at MK? We left the park around noon for lunch at The Wave, did a bit of shopping, stowed some souvenirs in our car at the TTC, then stopped for ice cream at the Polynesian. It was a fantastic break and left us recharged by the time we got back to the MK several hours later. This is a routine many here are already familiar with, I'm sure. It's an oldie, but a goodie.

This was a fun visit. I'm convinced more than ever, that if WDW decided to get rid of their rides, shows and characters, they'd still have massive crowds because of their food.

We ate lunch at Crystal Palace on June 24th and it was delicious! It was probably ten years since we ate there last so our memory of it was very foggy, but we all loved it! We also love Chef Mickey’s, which doesn’t get a lot of love here on the DIS. We have yet to have a bad meal there. We ate there on our trip last week, and again, thought it was great! My husband, who is not on this DIS, is always shocked when I tell him how much people do not like CM.

The weather was hot, but I agree, there were many evenings that were quite enjoyable once the storms and rain passed through.

We found crowds manageable, but hubby and I noted how many clueless people we encountered. Tons of people trying to swipe their bands at FP entrances only to be told they had no fast passes and that they needed to leave the line; they totally looked shocked.

I’m glad you had an enjoyable trip!

I think people tend to exaggerate about the food being bad at WDW. It's really not, and I find that I enjoy most everything I eat there. Sometimes I'll think a place might be over-hyped, but I've never walked away thinking it was bad or disgusting. I have never done Crystal Palace, but I have found the food at other buffets to be great.

We love Crystal Palace breakfast. Haven't had another meal there yet.

People can be pretty over the top with the food complaints. If someone relies on hyperbole I tend to ignore those reviews.

While I admit it was some time ago, my opinion on CP was that our late lunch there was nothing special food wise. Not bad, just that there were far better options. I probably would have had a better opinion if the food had been paired with decent service or character interaction.

We far prefer Tusker House & 1900 Park Fare, both with amazing food and characters...or even Chef Mickey's where the food was around the same level as CP, but the character interaction and service was far better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter